Wwb Jhp?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by XD-GEEZER, Mar 19, 2007.

1. XD-GEEZER

XD-GEEZER XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wanted some opinions on WWB JHP in 9mm 115 grain and 40mm 180 grain. Is this ammo an adequate round for self defence? :confused: It is obvious this is a low cost alternative to some of the other brands, since it is commonly carried at stores like Wally World, but I'm concerned that it may be an inferior choice for my personal defence? I recently puchased some 9mm WWB at Wally World. I think I paid about $15 for a box of 50. I looked at some Hydra Shocks that were the same price for 20. :shock: Being the thrifty one, I had to go for the WWB. So, what do you think? Should I be carrying a better round and why? :rolleyes:

2. the_gunman1

the_gunman1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You did ok. WWB HPs are pretty good stuff.:cool:

3. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i bought the 100rnd of wwb 115gr for 19.xx.
    i also bought 20rnds of sxt's 147gr for 16.xx

i shot 10rnds of the sxt's and were amazing. fed great shot great.
    i only shot around 30 of the wwb JHP's, which also fed and shot great.

i planned and currently have my two main HD mags with the first five rounds being the sxt's and followed by the wwb jhp's. my two other mags have the wwb jhp's.

so at the range thats what i tested. i shot a mag with sxt's first and the wwb.

4. the_gunman1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. xd-shawn

xd-shawn XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    me and a buddy of mine did a expansion test into old books with WWB 9mm, the bullets expanded pretty good, good enought that i carry them in my service when it goes with me

you should have seen what the WWB 45acp's did:eek: i would NOT want to be on the recieving end of those, the bullet was completly flat, with fragments all thru the book;)

6. JAZZ

JAZZ XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gunman that link was great, thanks for sharing it!

JAZZ

7. Exmasonite

Exmasonite XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if it feeds reliably from your XD (which it should), then you're doing fine. I'd just make sure you get a couple hundred rounds through the XD without a hiccup before using it as your SD round.

8. D_Fence

D_Fence XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I recall seeing 9mm JHP tests for both the WWB (USA9JHP) and Remington ammo they have at Wal-Mart. I can't remember specific data, but I do remember them doing pretty well, and even comparable/better than some expensive brands. The expansion may not be as consistently dramatic as some of the top-shelf defensive ammo, but there is a lot to be said for practicing regularly with the ammo that you are going to carry.

There are some other excellent choices that won't bust the budget, such as the impressive Federal 9HST_ (1,2,or 3). Those are $20 for 50, but far more difficult to get your hands on than the WWB stuff.

Another choice is Black Hills[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] (M9N8 or M9N9). They have a very good reputation, although I don't think I've ever seen a phonebook or water jug test, and cost about 23 for 50.

9. D_Fence

D_Fence XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  10. RonnieB

RonnieB XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my case, my .40 likes the WWB better than the Speer 180 gr Gold Dots. I think my feed ramp is a bit touchy, so it likes the more rounded Winchester JHP better than the Speer, which are not radiused as much.

My completely unscientific comparison between the two gave a ~20% failure to feed with the Speers. Only one limp-wristed failure with several hundred rounds of Winchesters.

To make a short story long...if it goes bang, and downrange, it's a lot more effective than if it stays partly fed into the chamber.

11. 40SWXDSHOOTER

40SWXDSHOOTER XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are betting your life on it isn't the extra cash worth it?
    It's not like you are going to shoot 1000 rounds of the stuff, spring for the cash to fill your carry mags.
    I found a store that sells mostly to LEO, but dose sell to the rest of us, and they have Hydra Shocks, and some others for $15-$20 per box for 50 rd boxes (www.streichers.com) .

12. the_gunman1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jazz: your welcome. D FENCE: that last link was great! 40SWXD: The point I think was to show that you don't have to buy the fancy ammo to get good performance at a great price with availability being great. My point at lest was that WWB JHP ammo works as well as most of the "tricked out" rounds do. Sure it's worth the extra $ if the product works better but they don't. The results are very similar. I like Gold Dots, Golden Sabers{bonded}, HST, SXT ect ect ,but they haven't shown me anything that I can't do with WWB JHP ammo.:cool:

13. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Being on a budget myself, and having read a few of the independent side-by-side tests of JHP ammo, I feel 100% confident in carrying WWB 147gr JHP rounds in my XD-9's for self-defense. They feed reliably and shoot just fine. You can't beat the price vs. performance from these Winchester rounds. And, I can get them at my local Wal-Mart!

What's not to like?

14. XD-GEEZER

XD-GEEZER XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies. I believe my question has been answered. The concensus seems to lean towards WWB being an adequate round for personal protection. I would have no problem carrying a better "state of the art" round for a few more bucks. I just believe I should practice enough with it to have confidence in it's reliabillity with my pistol. This could be an unnecessarilly costly trial period. If I can get reliable performance from a less expensive round, that's what I'll practice with and that's what I'll carry. More bucks saved can go for more practice rounds. More practice is definitely the best investment I can make. :) It's just a personal decision on where you feel comfortable distributing your bucks. If someone feels they are not adequately or fully protecting themselves with WWB, they should use what they do feel is needed. :cool:

Thanks all for your replies! :smile:

15. shipwreck

shipwreck XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I carried Hydrashok 9mm for years. Last year I came across some test results of the WWB JHP, and am satisfied. I now have been using it in all of my guns for carry ammo for the past year now. I am satisfied with it :)