Springfield XD Forum banner

Wow, can't believe the serrations on this little gun.

4K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Gottaluvaredstate 
#1 ·
I've been racking the slide and dry-firing the XDS and I can't believe how sharp the serrations are on the rear of the slide. They actually hurt my hand and I've got calluses. And the grip is mighty sharp as well. Just holding it while racking the slide leaves an imprint in my hand. Guess I'll be grabbing a used tire tube or maybe I'll spring for the Hogue Jr. Just concerned that anything I put on the grip may cause my cover garment to ride up.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I like mine just like it is. Maybe try gripping the serrations firmer. As far as the grip texture leaving an imprint, IMO that is necessary with such a small grip frame to help you keep a firm grip.
My best shggestion is, since while carrying it you won't be handling it often enough for this to become a problem. While practicing go buy some shooting or mechanix gloves with the trigger finger cut out. Then you should be fine.

If I was a jerk I would say quit putting on so much lotion and there is nothing wrong with a callus or three...shows character. But alas...I am not a jerk.:)

#5 ·
#6 ·
I only mention this because it is my first XD firearm. I will shoot it at the range, probably with grip tape to give the grip some width. Also I am left handed so releasing the slide is done with my right hand over the slide while depressing the slide release.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
But it is so much more comfortable carrying it. My PPQ and USP are just too big to cover with a T-shirt.

Reactions: WASP
#8 ·
If your magazine is full you shouldn't have to touch the slide release, just pull all the way back on the slide and let it go. Really thats what you are always supposed to do, the slide release is really only for releasing the slide when the gun is empty (and for holding the slide open of course).

#10 ·
Wasp, full magazine while dry firing would be bad. [emoji1] I know I won't need to touch the slide release when I am firing the weapon.

#9 ·
It will get easier as the slide loosens up. Make sure it's lubed well. I had mine in the freezer to check clearance after my prp trigger install. The condensation made it difficult to get a good grip. So those edges are that way for a reason.

If I wanted to be a dick, I would say; Throw your pistol at the bad guy, then hit him with your purse.
But I'm not a dick either.

#11 ·
Wow, is everyone on this site a smart@ss? [emoji1]

#19 ·
Just at the range earlier today. The first time I shot the XDS the grip left marks. Then I covered it with a bike tube and no more problems. Since I carry in condition 1, I'm not worried about wincing while racking the slide if I had to use it. Usually take 5 loaded mags to the range, shoot through those and then take a break to reload so I'm not even racking the slide that much.

#25 ·
Joking aside. It breaks in the gun. Makes it operate more easily. It makes you a better shot. And it's fun. Dry firing, slide racking and basic gun fondling is fine if you don't have any ammo.

#32 ·
Talon grips, as other suggest will work. You can also put them between the serrations and that will help, too.

I personally have no issues with either and keep mine bone stock. So many complain about the trigger - and while its a bit springy in the beginning - it gets better with round count.

I believe that if you have any complaints with a gun... You should sell it to me for cheap. I get another quality firearm and you no longer have a headache. Fair?

#33 ·
I've been racking the slide and dry-firing the XDS and I can't believe how sharp the serrations are on the rear of the slide. They actually hurt my hand and I've got calluses. And the grip is mighty sharp as well. Just holding it while racking the slide leaves an imprint in my hand. Guess I'll be grabbing a used tire tube or maybe I'll spring for the Hogue Jr. Just concerned that anything I put on the grip may cause my cover garment to ride up.
In terms of the material(s) you use to cover the grip and how that may interact with your clothing - it's just that: what you choose, and your clothes. This is just something that you'll have to work out as you go, and that you have to realize is very much "ongoing."

A lot of newer concealed-carriers come into the fold expecting there to be definitive answers/solutions, and for those answers to never change. The truth is that there are *A LOT* of variables, and many of these are unique-individual concerns which, just as your body and your clothes (and even your gun/gear) changes over time, you'll have to review again and again.

Many instructors will tell their students to check the way their day's chosen wardrobe interacts with their day's chosen concealment method before loading up the gun. Understand that different textiles will behave differently, so it's worth that extra couple of seconds or even a minute of your time as you get ready to step out in the morning to check that you're not printing excessively with movement, that the gun doesn't hang on the draw, etc.

:)

My best shggestion is, since while carrying it you won't be handling it often enough for this to become a problem. While practicing go buy some shooting or mechanix gloves with the trigger finger cut out. Then you should be fine.
and

I only mention this because it is my first XD firearm. I will shoot it at the range, probably with grip tape to give the grip some width.
Making the gun more comfortable for extended range-practice sessions or even a high-round-count training class is never a bad idea.

However, one must be careful and understand just how any such temporary concessions may affect one's actual capabilities *without* those same considerations in-place.

If you go with gloves or decide to install a slip-on sleeve only for range-sessions, Gottaluvaredstate, at least practice a few times completely without so that you can see just how long/how many rounds you can successfully go/shoot without any such concessions - so you have an idea of your "worst case scenario."

Similarly, realize that as you shoot more, you will "toughen up" (in more ways than just those callouses on your fingers and hands) - and no matter how tough those surfaces and controls seem to be right now, that they'll also, as many here (both Gigantore and unclejed, for instance) have said, the gun will break-in.

----

Also I am left handed so releasing the slide is done with my right hand over the slide while depressing the slide release.
?

Can you explain your technique a bit more in-detail, please?

With anything but an empty magazine, you should *either* be using the slide lock/release or retracting the slide fully to the extent that the recoil spring will allow (thus allowing the slide-stop to drop out of the way).

If you are practicing with an empty magazine in-place, then yes, you will need to also disengage the slide-lock/release lever.

----

If your magazine is full you shouldn't have to touch the slide release, just pull all the way back on the slide and let it go. Really thats what you are always supposed to do, the slide release is really only for releasing the slide when the gun is empty (and for holding the slide open of course).
That's definitely how some see it - that the slide lock/stop is literally that.

However, actuation of that control surface for the purpose of releasing the slide is nevertheless a valid technique for sending the slide home.

No matter how this action is accomplished, there are compromises, and it is left to the individual shooter to determine what is the best compromise for him/her.

In terms of this thread, specifically, Gottaluvaredstate's concerns for his hands and the various suggestions to help him with the issue, using gloves to make practice or training sessions more bearable likely will have the biggest impact on the viability of the technique(s) used to release the slide. On M4C.net, SME Jack Leuba (Failure2Stop) described failures he noted when glove material would get caught on the slide or even inside the ejection port as trainees (no, not average-Joes/Janes...rather, some of our nation's top-tier ninja-killers and door-kickers) accomplished manipulations using the then-popular/dogmatic "overhand powerstroke" technique, which then led him to re-train these individuals to other techniques. Gottaluvaredstate will need to be sure that whatever technique he chooses on the range, given his modifications towards his comfort/usability in that context, will transfer successfully.

----

It will get easier as the slide loosens up. Make sure it's lubed well. I had mine in the freezer to check clearance after my prp trigger install. The condensation made it difficult to get a good grip. So those edges are that way for a reason.
Gottaluvaredstate, it's important to remember that the surfaces on your weapon should be made so that they resist slipping when wet/compromised. This may well mean that it can be harsh on your hands otherwise! :) It's OK to take steps to make your training or practice sessions more enjoyable, but don't lose sight of why they're so murderously rough on your hands to begin with. ;)

#38 ·
When I first got my XDs I thought the sharp serrations would be a problem as well. I even looked up several grip options and talked to other shooters about suggestions. But after several range trips and about 500 rounds I am comfortable with the gun as is. I have to grip the XDs harder then I grip my 5” XDm to control the XDs and appreciate the firmer grip. I also thought that I would get callous from shooting it but that did not happen. My suggestion is shoot it first and then decide, remember it is designed as carry gun not a range gun.

#39 ·
When I first got my XDs I thought the sharp serrations would be a problem as well. I even looked up several grip options and talked to other shooters about suggestions. But after several range trips and about 500 rounds I am comfortable with the gun as is. I have to grip the XDs harder then I grip my 5” XDm to control the XDs and appreciate the firmer grip. I also thought that I would get callous from shooting it but that did not happen. My suggestion is shoot it first and then decide, remember it is designed as carry gun not a range gun.
Well, I haven't gotten to the range as of yet. Probably this weekend. From my experience renting this gun, I am somewhat familiar with it. I shall adapt. Just a different animal from a Walther, but then again it's svelte. Walther is full-sized. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

#41 ·
Man the Freak Up!! Seriously though, some guns take some getting used to, best thing to do is to shoot it, then shoot it some more and just when you think you're good, shoot it some more. It took me some time to get used to my XDs 4.0 45 ACP...I've put 400+ rounds through it in one afternoon. Not a lot in the scheme of things but it's not exactly a soft shooting range gun. It has around 2500 rounds through it and it would have more, if I weren't somewhat of a bitch...it can be brutal on the hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.