Wounded Warrior not supporting firearms industry?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by brandon_, Nov 13, 2012.

1. brandon_

brandon_ XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had this post from Springer Precision in my Facebook feed today:
    "We will also be directing our giving directly to those in need instead so we insure the most benefit for those who need it and not for those who administrate a cause."

It was in reference to this post from Thunder Ranch:
    "Official: Thunder Ranch will no longer be doing any fundraising for Wounded Warrior. This due to the main reason is they will do not want support from the guns period because guns are used by our military to kill themselves. What do they save themselves with? Nerf guns? Also the fact that very little of our money is actually getting to the families that need them. We will find charities in the coming months to help us all give but for now all money raised with our current DVD sale will go to our Seal team family... the Reece Petersen Trust fund. Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to do the best job we can to put as much money as we can to helping our military. Clint and Heidi"

Per WWP website (#19 of Proud Supporter FAQ's):
    "WWP fundraisers can not be sexual, political or religious in nature, and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands or the exchange of firearms. This messaging conflicts with our mind, body, and spirit approach to programs. As everyone is aware, alcohol and substance abuse have been a significant problem with segments of the Wounded Warrior population, often with deadly consequences. WWP would not be honoring and empowering Wounded Warriors if the warrior population perceived partnerships with these types of events as encouraging the use of products that contribute to that problem."

I don't pretend to be an expert on non-profits, tax exempt statuses, charities or anything at all for that matter, but I read somewhere that to maintain their tax-exempt status (?) they cannot take any side of any political matter. Others have said it's in their best fund-raising interests to go right down the middle as to not turn anyone off. I've read other complaints from people upset that they will take their money but not support the firearms industry.

My opinion is that it's not their job to support anyone other than just what their name says, Wounded Warriors. If I was trying to raise as much money as possible I wouldn't take sides either and I wouldn't expect my donation to warrant any sort of endorsement.

I have several friends who are still active duty who have nothing but good things to say about what WWP is doing. That's good enough for me.

2. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Tax exempt, charities not take political sides? Really, you think that?

As to WWP not wanting to be associated with certain ideas or objects, that's their choice. If it closes off some avenues of revenue, they have to deal with that. I think the wording, "...exchange of firearms" is a bit odd. Does that mean you can't have a raffle for a gun, but simple sponsorship by a gun maker/dealer is OK? If they really meant no firearms, they should just say that in the same way they mention alcohol.

3. UofHdevildog

UofHdevildog XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They sure do offer a lot of hunts that use guns and host skeet shoots a lot. Seems like a little bit of retardedness on their part. Wouldn't they exclude all interaction with firearms if they're so concerned?

4. BigDinTexas

BigDinTexas XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I wonder where they rank in their administrative and fund raising expense percentages to other non-profits that help vets...

Don

5. Doc45

Doc45 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every year in Maryland we have a ton of WWP come to the gun club I belong to in the summer we shoot pistols/rifles at the range and shotguns for trap. Everyone has an awesome time, makes me wonder abit about next year.

6. bdavison

bdavison XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm all for supporting the wounded vets....but I wont give funds to anti-gun brady bill hippy to do it.

Donate to the DAV instead.

7. droopy

droopy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    Go to guidestar & sign up for free. Plug wounded warrior project into the search name. When it takes you to WWP select Form 990s and you will be give the three most recent years of financial statements submitted to the IRS (2009 thru 2011). You can see executive salaries, financial bottom line, different funding streams, etc.

8. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    One charity review site showed them as getting 55% of funds to target. Not great, but better than some.

9. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    but that doesn't make sense most of their staff is paid for by the federal government, not by donations, wheres it going? (I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure it is)

Definitely odd with how many WWP shoots go on, people that support vets like to shoot, makes sense to me.

10. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
  11. CVMA_Dutch

CVMA_Dutch XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Odd... I knew WWP was shady with their funds, but I find it odd that they wouldn't support the firearms industry.

They sponsor an annual range day here, WWP alumni are invited to the range for a day, guns and ammo provided.

Sent from my Google powered personal data extraction device.

12. BigDinTexas

BigDinTexas XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

According to this website, they spent $21M on fundraising expenses while giving $31M in to the veterans in program expenses. Administrative costs were only $4.6M and they ended the 2011 FY (ended 09/2011) with a surplus of $16M. The numbers ending on 09/2012 don't seem to be available yet... The amount they spent on fundraising is staggering... I know alot, if not most, of that is due to advertising spots on TVs and such, but wow.

Don

13. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 1
    Breaking news. . .

"I thought maybe I'd woken up on the wrong planet when a buddy of mine from south Texas called me, then e-mailed me this exchange between Tom Gresham (Gun Talk) and the Wounded Warrior Project.

Made a call to WWP and it's true.

I told them (WWP) where to go, how to get there, when to get off and what to do on the way there.

Here is the exchange. . ."

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange

by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
    ====================
    Hello, Leslie:
    Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.
    I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?
    Thank you.
    Tom Gresham

============
    Good afternoon -
    While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...rtunities.aspx
    WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    LESLIE A. COLEMAN
    public relations director
    O: 904.405.1433
    M: 904.654.8138
    F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
    4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
    Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
    Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.

I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.
    Best regards,
    Tom Gresham
    =====================
    Good morning --
    This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.
    Thank you.
    LESLIE A. COLEMAN
    public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:
    Thank you for that explanation.
    I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.
    At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.
    Sincerely,
    Tom Gresham

14. yocan

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    I would bet serious coin that 20+% of their funding comes from shoots, and they will now be disowned. My god the stupidity and foolishness is overwhelming. Guys a lot of work is now to be done to create a more viable organization that doesn't step on us. I hope when we figure out what that is that you will donate time and money to make WWPs rightous replacement more powerful then WWP ever was.

15. getanxd

getanxd XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    geeeeze, i thought WWP had a function of aid/assitance/program/outlet with getting suicide thoughts help. it's not like these guys don't know a lot about firearms. do they honestly think by just being around them, they will think of misusing them? in a word, "Disapointing" esp aft seeing those ads - heart wrenching.

16. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 1
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that this PR Director Leslie Coleman is a WWP new hire and an anti-gunner, who managed to convince some WWP folks to "disown" firearms-related support.

17. UncleBuck

UncleBuck XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    oooops

18. yocan

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    I agree and they will be destroyed like recoil, the most dangerous opponents to our rights are our "allies" and "supporters"

19. Brimstone

Brimstone XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  20. tribalCBR

tribalCBR XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    very disheartening. i was pissed when i read about it. i have WWP shirts too. time to get rid of them. makes me sick.