Windham Weaponry AR-15 question

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by mkibler44, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mkibler44

mkibler44 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR-15 and absolutely love it and for the price, cant be beat wit the quality. I do have a few questions I hope someone could assist in.

I want to spruce it up to go along wit the S&W 15-22 I have so I can get a similar experience between shooting the 2 gear wise. It currently has the standard, solid hand guard and a fixed Iron front sight and a removeable carry handle. I am wanting to add a picatanny rail (think its about a 7 inch thats needed) and add a scope with flip up sights.

The question is, since I have the fixed front sight, is it possible to take it off myself or so I have to circumvent my thought process and upgrade differently without spending an arm and a leg to do so?

Any insight, help, and assistance is greatly appreciated!

2. willow

willow XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you looking for something like this?

Primary Arms Dropin Quad Rail

Or

Magpul MOE handguard

And to take the stock handguard off, all you have to do is pull of the delta ring down and pull the handguard apart. Here is a video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aULvwJsJeo&nomobile=1[/ame]

You don't need the tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Congrats on the purchase. I almost bought one from Windham, but picked up a MOE Core 15 instead. About the same money... seems to be same (maybe better) quality. I think you'll have good luck with it!

Anyway.... as Willow stated, Magpul makes the front handguards that are easy to install. Primary Arms as well..... and a few others. The front handguard seems easy enough to replace on your own without special tools. There are also some that are various length quad-picatiny rail handguards as well. (I didn't much like the feel of them myself). Plenty of sources, when you start looking. As I just read someplace.....

"The AR-15 is the guy Barbie-doll of weapons... plenty of accessories to dress them up with!!"

:)

4. js12278

js12278 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think he is asking about removing the front sight himself. Which he could do and add a low pro gas block. or just grind down the iron sight and use it as a gas block.

5. mkibler44

mkibler44 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply. I have narrowed the rails down to a few but Im worried about the length and some sites dont have them so Ill figure that out when the time comes.

js12278 has it right, I am more concerned about the front sight. It looks as if its ont here for good but I really would like to have flip up sights with a scope. Again, the front sight poses an issue. In terms of grinding it down, I dont know about all that or how to go about it.

6. Fdxpilot

Fdxpilot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My take would be get a Magpul MOE handguard, remove the carry handle, add a flip up rear sight of your choice, and keep the front iron sight, which is the sturdiest option for a front sight. Then, when you figure out what scope or red-dot you want, mount it on the receiver rail. Odds are you will never notice the front iron sight. See the top rifle below.

[​IMG]

7. bowserb

bowserb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In fact, you can add a scope without removing the fixed front sight. The scope will mount to the existing rail after you remove the carry handle. Then, due to the shallow depth of field of a high mag scope, the sight is totally out of focus and only visible at all with low mag settings, like 3x or lower. With higher magnification, the sight is just not there.

Nikon has a deal going on right now with selected dealers. Buy their P-223 scope in either the 3x40 or the 3-9x40 and get the Nikon scope mount included. That mount puts the scope right at the recommended height--2.5" above the bore axis.

Otherwise, replacing the gas block/front sight would be a gunsmith job for someone with my skills--and unless you have Windham do the work, it may void your transferable lifetime warranty.

I have a Windham Weaponry AR-15--the HBC (heavy barrel carbine) model bought locally for $850. I put the Nikon scope on it, and now at 9x I can actually see the target bullseye at 100 yards. The scope has excellent Nikon optics, and I cannot see the front sight at all at 9x, yet if I want to, I can put the original carry handle/rear sight back in place in a couple minutes.

All that's left now, for me at least, is to get an improved trigger...assuming that Windham will either install it or OK my doing the work (not likely).

8. PiercedJD

PiercedJD XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The front sight is easy to remove unless you have a welded on flash hider. If you remove the front sight you will need to install a gas block,again an easy thing.

Check midwayusa.com for gas blocks.

don

10. bowserb

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't forget, you have a lifetime transferrable warranty. That's one of the advantages of the WW AR over those with one year. I'd check with the manufacturer before any alterations. This is one of those instances where it really is better to ask for permission than foregiveness.

11. 1xdmshooter

1xdmshooter XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is probably pinned on there but you can knock it out using a punch and pushing the pin out going towards the side with your ejection port.

12. bowserb

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It sounds like you may have bought the wrong Windham Weaponry rifle. What you wanted is the SRC model:
    http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/TechSheets/Windham Weaponry SRC.pdf
    It is almost certainly too late for you, but for others who might read this thread, the SRC is a totally flat top model which would be better for chronic tinkerers...like AR15 people tend to be.

13. alien8

alien8 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That gas block is still pinned and would have to be removed to install alot of the different FF rails that are out there.

14. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Check out the new Troy BattleRail Delta.

It's a drop-in free float system that you can attach rails to where you want them, and requires no gunsmithing. Your FSB stays in place.

15. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    I'm not sure what you want, drop in rails require no modifications for you, as do the MOE grips pull the ring down and slide em out. (might have a screw to unscrew to take the top rail off/put it on, so mod to the rail not the rifle)

you can shave down the FSB and have the best rail block ever

you can use STEEL punches (destroyed a brass set don't try it) and take the taper pins out and slide the FSB off to put something else on, pute some sort of lube on the barel when sliding stuff on or off or your going to scratch the thing to death.

If you want to go to a free float rail You need a barrel nut wrench, one with both parts (the rippled thing on one side to remove the spring nut which is on there, then the pegs on the other side to put on the free float ring on there.)

I'm not sure what you want but those are your pimary options.

you need to youtube how to put on and take off a barrel. and the other things I mentioned watch how its done to get a full understanding of what yoru doing and you'll be educated enough to figure out what you want.

FSB shave, all you need is a dremel kit and youtube. I think some $5 pen or something to reblue/coat the shave point not sure on that part.