Winchester model 70 opinions

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by TxAggie94, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TxAggie94

TxAggie94 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm still in the market for a good elk rifle. I had done a lot of research a while back and decided first choice was a 7 mag and second would be a 300 Win Mag. I decided the that the rifle I ideally wanted was a Savage stainless steel model in 7 mag.

But now I've come across what I think is a good deal on a 300. Its a Win model 70, composite stock and blued barrel and they are asking $350 (used).

Any thoughts on the model 70? Does $350 sound ok for a used one. Also, how does the trigger on a model 70 compare to the accu-trigger from Savage.

Thanks

2. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    If it was me, I would buy it. the post 64' rifles are not as good as the pre 64's but they are damn fine rifles in their own right and very accurate.

3. blefferd

blefferd XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    i wouldnt say the pre 64s are better than post 64's, the "quality" is still there the only diffrence is the mauser claw type action vs. the push feed type action. (im sure there was some minor quality issues like blueing etc but if you find a mint pre 64 rifle you had better have some cash to spend)

the new classic style Model 70's are mauser style actions. i have a push feed model 70 from around 81 in .308 and its very accurate and dependable, the only down side to this rifle is its push feed action, there is alot of arguments on which is better alot of nice rifles are made on the push feed bolt, alot of big game hunters want/prefer the claw type action(mostly african hunters) for the controlled feed. I personally prefer the mauser type action, i want to retire my model 70 from the woods after this season and get either a remington or a CZ, in either 6.5x55 swede or another .308.

my trigger on my featherweight XTR is nice and crisp i would say it breaks at 2-3lbs (if that!) very accurate i shot the NRA symbol on the corner of the target out at 100 yards. it seems a little picky on the ammo it shoots it shoots the Hornaday TAP very very well(it might just be a quality round)
    thats what i use for deer hunting.

also why not the .338 win mag instead of the 300?

4. leeindy

leeindy XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    i got my deer this year with a 7mm rem mag model 70 that used to be my great grandfathers. i love the gun very very accurate. for my money you cant beat a model 70

5. TxAggie94

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I figured 300 is plenty of gun for what I plan to hunt (elk, mulies, whitetail). I'm really mainly in the market for a gun just for elk and mule deer hunting in Colo and AZ. However, if my dad keeps dragging his feet about letting me have the 243 back, it will get some use around here for whitetail. Like I said, a 7 mag is what I decided I want, ideally. I just hate to pass up this one, as the Savage I want will cost a couple hundred more.

6. blefferd

blefferd XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    you know a 7mag and a 270 have about the same ballistics

7. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4
    I inherited Dad's 300 Win Mag - an early Sauer 202. It is one of the hardest kicking and loudest rifles I have ever shot. Brutal.

Dad also has a 7mag - a Belgian Browning Safari Grade (basically an FN made Mauser action) and it is MUCH easier on the shoulder than the Sauer 300WM.

Unless you really need the power, I'd opt for the 7mag. I just find the 300 to be brutal...sorry!

- Brickboy240

8. TxAggie94

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Admittedly, the only 300 mag I've ever shot is my dad's. I didn't feel it kicks that bad. However, that gun should have come standard with a set of wheels and a trailer hitch. That is the heaviest gun I've ever lugged around.

I'm sure this Win. with the synthetic stock will punch a bit harder.

9. jnclement

jnclement XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I love Savages, but I don't think I'd turn down a Model 70 at that price. I do think the 300s I have shot were unpleasant.

10. suprstud65

suprstud65 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The trajectory and velocity are similar, but the 7mag has about 500 ft/lbs more energy. Thats about a 40% increase downrange for the big critters.

11. spyderman2k4

spyderman2k4 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm voting you get it. We've got a model 70 in .223 and it's great. We had the trigger lightened which is a plus (I don't remember what it was like before) but it feels great. As I just typed up in another thread, for elk, a lot of experienced elk hunters and guides will prefer a 30 caliber to a 7 mag (the direct comparison was a 30-06, but a 300 will fall into that category). To me that seems like a pretty good deal, I would definitely jump all over that.

12. magnumize

magnumize XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I bought a Winchester 70 in 30-06 about 8 years ago.Really only reason I bought it was because I didnt have a bolt gun and it was priced right.Its been dependable and very accurate.I still own it and probably will never sell it.Its an over all great rifle.

13. motorcyclemac

motorcyclemac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is a good price. I would pull the trigger on that deal. I have a pre-64 in 30-06. It has a 3 pound crisp trigger and is quite accurate. Mine is a 1942 vintage and is in about 95% condition. The latter models are quite good as well.

Cheers
    Mac.

14. Tomcat088

Tomcat088 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me just say straight up, buy the Model 70. They are quite hard to come by since they were discontinued after Winchester went out of business. Rumors are that they are soon to be reproduced, but who knows what kind of quality they will be. The rights to the model 70 have been bought out by another company, but they are pretty high end. Most people consider this rifle to be a "collector's item" especially depending if it's pre '64 or not. Either way, it's a good price for that rifle and I wouldn't pass it up just to pay more for a savage. The action on the savage is NOT as smooth as the Winchester's and although they are pretty reliable, I don't believe quite as reliable as the Model 70's.

The 7mm mag is fine for an elk gun, as is the .300 winmag. If you're up for an elk gun, don't let others talk you into the .270 and definately not the .308, opt for the magnums, you'll be pleased with that. You can check on a thread that I posted about the 7mm mag vs the .308 if you'd like to see a pretty close comparison of ballistics between the .300 winmag and the .308. The 7mm mag has pretty close ballistics out to 800 yards, then the .300 winmag surpasses it pretty significantly.

Recoil in rifles is related to caliber, weight of gun, and the particular brand of platform you're shooting out of, stock, and recoil pad. The heavier guns tend to recoil less than the lighter ones because the rifle takes more of the impulse and "pushes" more than "hits" you. The downside is that these are heavier to carry. The featherweight style rifles in 7mm and .300 winmag can tend to be heavy hitters and aren't that comfy to shoot lots of rounds on. If you can get the job done in 1 or 2, it's not as big of a deal, but when you practice with the rifle, it could cause you to begin flinching anticipating the recoil. This is just something to consider when you're looking into the magnums. You could always have the barrel muzzle braked which will help with recoil but will increase the noise that the gun makes ALOT.

P.S. If you bought this rifle and didn't like it at all, I'm 100% sure that you could sell it for what you bought it for. Even to someone who is just looking for the action to build a custom rifle off of, I know you can get rid of it for $350. Try it out, you just might like it better than the savage.

15. leeindy

leeindy XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    id take it off your hands if you didnt like it. the wife would love a 7mm mag just like mine but im not about to chop my stock for her.