Winchester 1300 Barrel

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by 03arnold, Mar 17, 2009.

1. 03arnold

03arnold XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kind of weird that my first post on here is about something other than my XD. I guess that speaks for the gun.

Anyways, I have a 12 ga. Winchester 1300 that I bought back in High School, the end of the barrel split about 2 years ago. I took the barrel off and cleaned the rest of the 1300 and put it in the gun safe. I pulled it out the other day, now I am wanting to get another barrel and actually use this again when the snow is gone.

My question, what barrel length do you guys prefer for just going out and having some fun shooting? I have a Rem. 870 that I do most of my bird hunting with. So I am free to turn this into something different.
    I am torn between the 22"-28" vent-rib barrel, maybe a slug barrel, not really sure.

What do you guys like using/enjoy shooting with the most?

2. mullanman

mullanman XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You'll want to put an original barrel, used if you can find it, back on the gun. I believe my old 1300 had a 28" barrel if i remember correctly. It may cost you what the gun is worth to put on a new one, if they make it.

3. 03arnold

03arnold XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is what I have run into so far, when it first happened I looked at getting a new barrel for it...but the price was pretty much right on with a new shotgun. That's when I got the 870.

I guess you could say I'm looking to do this out of nostalgia...I miss my winchester...

4. KingArthur

KingArthur XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    The 1300 is what I believe is called the "Defender" back in the day. I got mine around the same time. I took off the wood stock and put two pistol grips on it and a side sadle. It was the "under the bed gun" for a long time until kids came along. Back when I was in college, a long, long time ago, I was living in a HUD apartment complex. I was relocating from a bigger apartment I didn't need to a smaller one. I was "concealing" my weapons as I moved them around. I recall placing it in a laundry hamper as I was dragging it to the next apartment through the parking lot. A sedan of gang bangers was driving by windows down, bandaned out giving me the stink eye rolling slow. I put my hand on the pistol grip they couldn't see and started laughing at them. I knew the first one that reached and I would take them all out rather nicely at the range I was way with 00 buck. They thought I was too crazy to mess with and rolled on. Needless to say it is a sweet weapon. Get an original barrel and rock on. The only other Winchester version of it I like better is the Mariner because it was SS.

5. 03arnold

03arnold XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can honestly say, living in rural Maine has produced hardly any of the above scenarios. ahaha. Kind of glad too. The only thing my Winchester saw were clay pigeons, plenty of birds, and the occasional squirrel.

As far as I know, when I bought the 1300 originaly it was the same as the "Defender model"...except Defender had the 8-shot capacity, shorter barrel, and vent-less barrel.

I am leaning towards a shorter vent-rib barrel I think. Since the 870 has a 28" one. Might as well get some variety.

Any others to chime in on this one?

6. Frostyeyes

Frostyeyes XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I believe barrels for the 1200 will fit your 1300 also, I have the 1300 Defender 8shot , short barrel it is the behind the door gun.

7. TahoeMac

TahoeMac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    If your 1300 is a standard (i.e. not a Defender) just be sure you don't buy a defender barrel... it won't fit because the lower shell tube is longer.

8. 03arnold

03arnold XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know of somewhere I can still find a 1300 barrel? They are still listed on some of the online stores, but when I reach them to confirm if they are in stock or not they are all sold-out. I know they stopped making the 1300, I'm just hopeing someone might still have some kicking around.

9. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. 03arnold

03arnold XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I already looked at e-gun parts...no luck there. They are sold out of everything that will fit mine.
    Any others?

11. albeyt

albeyt XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I can find one for you if you still haven't found one. let me know. Amt

12. jnclement

jnclement XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Let me check and see what mine is. I have a Winchester, and a pressed in part broke, and they don't make a replacement. Barrel should be OK though.

13. danp

danp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    This may be overly simplistic, but why not just cut off the split portion of your barrel? Unless that would make the barrel under 18", that would be the cheapest and simplist way to go.

14. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 1
    danp could be right of course, GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction has them but at 135 and up watch RiverOfGuns.com there was one for 35 bucks a week ago.