Springfield XD Forum banner

Wilson Beretta landed at FFL today

7K views 86 replies 22 participants last post by  JoeOU1 
#1 ·
I've gotta be honest, I've never been much of a Beretta 92 fan. I've always kinda wanted one, if for nothing else, it's the gun our soldiers are using and I think that's prett cool, but they've always felt bulky and the triggers just flat out sucked. Single action and especially double action (need a puke smilie) ;) But, this baby has been RIGHT! :) The gun feels really good in my hand and the trigger is flat out THE best SA/DA trigger I've ever had in my hands. Smooooth, is a good way to describe it. DA is similar to that of a good S&W DA revolver. As good if not better than my Talo 686+1. It'll probably be this weekend before I can get it to the range, but I can't wait. :grin:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've gotta be honest, I've never been much of a Beretta 92 fan. I've always kinda wanted one, if for nothing else, it's the gun our soldiers are using and I think that's prett cool, but they've always felt bulky and the triggers just flat out sucked. Single action and especially double action (need a puke smilie) ;) But, this baby has been RIGHT! :) The gun feels really good in my hand and the trigger is flat out THE best SA/DA trigger I've ever had in my hands. Smooooth, is a good way to describe it. DA is similar to that of a good S&W DA revolver. As good if not better than my Talo 686+1. It'll probably be this weekend before I can get it to the range, but I can't wait. :grin:

Only one thing for me to say:

#6 ·
The trigger is so smooth and the gun just has a different feel to it. It doesn't even feel like a regular Beretta to me. Any Beretta 92 fan should get their hands on one of these.

#3 ·
I want one of these...badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Well I guess congrats are in order once again...;)

Funny that on my phone the similar threads below this thread have five similar threads. It is a funny coincidence that all five displayed are Joe's threads "Hey look at my new gun...":p:D

Reactions: JoeOU1
#5 ·
I think I'm done buying for a good while.
I hope. ;)

#14 ·
Can't wait! :)

#9 ·
I walked into my LGS today there was one used in the display case for $950. I couldn't believe it! I inspected it and it showed no use at all. Then it all became clear. It wasn't a Wilson Combat Beretta . It was a 92G with Wilson Combat grips. Still a nice gun but not the same. Congrats Joe!

#30 ·
@JoeOU1, I forgot to mention, a range report is mandatory with this one!

We hereby give you permission to take the day off from work and hit the range :lol: (leave sasquatch in the safe though)

#36 ·
I can't wait for a range report myself. :)

Reactions: DJCantonGA
#33 ·
These are very nice pistols. Wilson combat did it right by seeking out Ernest Langdon to build these pistols. Ernest Langdon used to operate a company named LTT that specialized in customizing Beretta 9x series pistols. I had LTT work over my duty gun Beretta 92g Elite II back in 2002. Much of these enhancements have been moved into Wilson's production line.

He gave mine a nice carry bevel job to the frame and slide. Refinished the frame in Teflon -S. The trigger was taken to 8lbs DA / 4lbs SA. The overtravel was eliminated by a speed bump on the back of the trigger that was fit to my specific gun. No stupid set screws to come out of adjustment. Sears were professionally polished. Novak night sights were installed. He fit a Bar-sto 4.7" barrel into it. It has a Harrts Mercury filled guide rod to minimize recoil. Crimson trace laser grips. Wolff trigger spring. Latest generation locking block.

It has never had a single failure to fire in well over 20,000 rounds. It's a hell of a lot more accurate than I will ever be. It's one of those guns that you never sell.

#39 ·
the 92 Beretta needs some updating. It was the bees knees in 1985...but not now.

A few tweaks and it would be great.

Too bad you have to drop 1100 bucks to get the 92 Beretta they SHOULD be making right now.

#40 ·
No doubt.

#42 ·
the 92 Beretta needs some updating. It was the bees knees in 1985...but not now.

A few tweaks and it would be great.

Too bad you have to drop 1100 bucks to get the 92 Beretta they SHOULD be making right now.
Now, let's observe something in the same price range as a stock 92FS - a milspec 1911.

Tell me that's good to go out of the box and great as it sits, or does one of those also need to be about $1100 to be a badass pistol?

Go on...

#44 ·
Now, let's observe something in the same price range as a stock 92FS - a milspec 1911.

Tell me that's good to go out of the box and great as it sits, or does one of those also need to be about $1100 to be a badass pistol?

Go on...
Good point. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's the kicker. Glock's still cost in the $500+/- price range, since the late '80's and still works just fine right out of the box. :)

#48 ·
Actually I can tell many here are quite young.

Back in the 80s and even into the early 90s, if you wanted a 1911 there was Colt and a few VERY questionable others like Auto Ordinance. Most sane people opted for the Colts.

When you bought a Colt, you blew 500-650 bucks and you knew that it was probably not going to feed any hollowpoints at all or very few. You bought that Colt and immediately took it to your smith for polishing and throating and other work to make it fly right all...or most of the time.

Today, you can buy a 500-650 dollar 1911 (mostly made of cast/MIM parts and made in a foreign land...but that is another thread) and the chances that this 1911 will eat hollowpoints and run right out of the box are pretty damn good. Sure it is full of funky parts and not finished like the older Colts but most of them run.

That...in and of itself...is amazing.

So nope...actually your chances of getting a lesser expensive 1911 that runs right out of the box are much better today than in any part of the 1911's history.

Any of you older guys that used to fool around with 1970s vintage Colts or Auto Ordinance 1911s want to verify my statement?

#49 · (Edited)
Got it to the range today and put 100 rounds through it.

I am digging the hell out of it! :)

The sights are battle sights, but the first 15 rounds, I i rested my elbows on the bench to see where POA/POI would be and pretty much made a small hole at 10 yards. I started shooting off hand at 7,10 and 15 yards aiming at COM and will say that I would have no qualms in using this gun as an EDC piece if I ever felt the desire.
Got to talking to the only other guy at the range after we were done and turns out he's a huge Beretta guy and has been owning and shooting them since the early '80's. He didn't know Wilson had teamed up with Beretta on these and he just smiled and started laughing when he checked it out.
I told him I'd never been a Beretta fan until, well...today! :) He said, "Well then you better not ever play with another one, because I don't know what they did to that thing, but it just "looks" like a Beretta." Lol! :)
I told him to check out Wilson's website and give George a call, but he better hurry if the rumors are true about the 2000 mark. This gun is so nice, I'm halfway tempted to buy another just to leave in the safe and shoot the piss out of this one. I'm WAY more pleased than I EVER would've thought I'd be. :)

Reactions: GT Jon
#53 ·
Anyone shot the non action tuned vs. the action tune? What is the real difference?

#55 ·
I figure it's worth it. I know I'm in love with the way it is with the tune, so I'm glad I went that direction. This gun isn't in the same ballpark with other Beretta's I've shot. Spectacular! :)

Reactions: ironmike1378
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.