Will a gun-safe make my guns rust ?

Discussion in 'Rusty Tales' started by Cowboy Troy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Cowboy Troy

Cowboy Troy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been keeping my guns in a gun bag in the basement for about a year, I usually run a de-humidifier some of the time.. . I haven't had any rust issues yet... I live in MN, USA ..

I would like to get a safe, but have heard so many horror stories about people putting there guns in safe for a week, and it comes out as rusty as the titanic...

can anyone enlighten me on this ? Do I need to purchase a safe with a de-humidifier built in ? keep the safe upstairs not in the basement ? etc etc

Thanks

2. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have guns that have been in the safe for a year non touched. Just keep them lightly oiled have a golden rod in the safe and you will be fine. The number one thing that can rust a gun is finger prints. Wipe them off.

3. Cowboy Troy

Cowboy Troy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks SRD ... is there a certain % of humidity that will allow a gun to rust,

for instance, if the humidity is below such and such %, is it impossible for a gun to rust until the humility reaches a given level ?

4. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    honestly if your gun is oiled and of quality steel it will not rust. I used to keep my safe at my parents house in a room that was added on that didnt have AC. The room would normally be 90 percent humidity in the summer and i never had issues. But i always sprayed a tiny bit of oil when i opened the safe. or if you handle the weapon wipe it with a silicon cloth. If you take care of the weapon it will not rust. Oh course its best to have little humidity.

But even with no humidity if you touch your gun and just put it away it will rust eventually. also never keep them in foam cases it absorbs all the oil and can hold in moisture.

5. PapaBear

PapaBear XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 to the light oiling when storing. My basement is very humid, also where my gunsafe is. So far no issues.

6. nothing

nothing XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can always use silica gel packs or if you're really worried add a dehumidifier. Here in the south it's very very humid (90 percent or higher on average) and we just use the large silica gel packs.

7. E.Marquez

E.Marquez XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have kept my unused guns in a safe for the last 20 years or so.
    Currently the safe is in a walk in closet that is off of the master bathroom.. ie think humid,, shower and jacuzzi tub in the same room.

I always wipe down a gun before it goes in the safe, and I keep silica gel dehumidifiers in there at all times.

Never seen so much as a spot of rust on any weapon in my safe.

8. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    NOpe--as mentioned before, get a proper dehumidifier and you should be just fine.

If you're really concerned, you can get humidity guages, and place one on top (outside) of your safe, and one inside; every time you open it up, check to see if the humidity is lower inside than outside...if it is, you're golden.

9. speedracer211

speedracer211 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I use a golden rod in my 24 gun safe and so far no problems. It is out in my reloading room that is not heated or have ac.

10. zombiekiller

zombiekiller XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never had rust on any of my guns in the safe. I live in the humid south and use silica. I just recharge it about every other month. Clean and re oil about every 3 months.

11. DIRTY HARRY

DIRTY HARRY XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All of my gun's are lightly olied whit my EEZOX which is a dry lub & rust preventor, & are kept in my safe along with a few large Sil- Gel cannaster's & so far so good not rust etc.