Why "NATO Calibers"?

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by Caniac-XD40, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Caniac-XD40

Caniac-XD40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see people all the time saying things about wanting/having guns in "NATO calibers". When we're fighting the NATO scum hordes, are they going to give us ammo if we run out or what?

2. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Take one down and then pick up their ammo is what is being implied I think.

3. orleanfire

orleanfire XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

lol

4. jcshooter80

jcshooter80 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds morbid to say that, but yes. Interchangeability of ammo and parts in times of domestic conflict.

5. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    +1

However, much can be said about having guns in semi-common but not NATO calibers.

How often is your local walmart or sporting goods store sold out of .30-30 or .44 mag?

6. Uriel999

Uriel999 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    lol, my walmart rarely has any ammo at all. Pistol calibers....ha!

7. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Nato are the abundant calibers, from here and other countrys. It also makes them some of the cheapest and easiest to get why wouldnt you want them.

8. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    back in the 50s, when NATO was doing what it was created for and was a true fighting force of allied countries against possible Soviet attack, standardization was important. Standard aircraft marshaling signals were set so that any NATO aircraft could land at any NATO airstrip - those signals are still used today by all allied countries. Standard NATO Stock Numbers (NSN) were created so that partners could share parts for vehicles, aircraft and ships - all NATO countries still track parts using those 13 digit numbers. Caliber 7.62 was picked as a standard caliber so partner countries could share ammo - would have been especially important if the Soviets had ever tried to push the Wall further west.

So today there are many 7.62 stockpiles - thus we can get cheap ammo. Plus the good old FNs are fun to shoot. I wish I could find a nice sample of the FNC1 that I first trained on with the Canadian Reserve Army, and latter paraded with as an Officer Cadet before being Commissioned into the Air Force.

9. jj79

jj79 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    'cause if the SHTF, your odds of running onto a stash of ammo in those calibers are MUCH higher than finding say, a cache of .243 WSSM. (or .357 Sig)

this is the 2-edged sword for me with my SHTF rifle (a 6.8 spc). terminal performance is way better with the 6.8, but the odds of me finding any ammo for it once my cache is gone are slim/none. this is precisely why I need a new 18" Larue Stealth upper. :mrgreen:

-JJ

10. Caniac-XD40

Caniac-XD40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I'm not to worried about it then. If I kill one and can pick up his ammo, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that his rifle won't be to far away hopefully.

11. TYFOON

TYFOON XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's the likely hood of continued massproduction that I keep to NATO rounds.

12. rcw

rcw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thinking about this for awhile, or what calibers would be most important to have guns for scrounging ammo in teotwawki scenario.

I don't think its just on how much ammo is produced, but how widespread it is used.

I would imagine if you were scrounging through peoples houses, you have a much higher chance of finding .38 sp or .357 mag compared to how much is produced and sold. The opposite example is .38 super, the people who buy that would probably be target shooters that buy bulk and therefore houses/ammo sold would be really low. In fact, you are probably able to find a lot of houses that have a hidden revolver that never gets shot with a box of 20/50 ammo in .38/.357 or the guy that wanted a model 29 back in the 70s so has some .44 mag and learned holy crap thats a bit harsh.

I would think in handgun non nato, it would be some order like .45/.38/.357m/.40S&W/.357sig/.44 mag/.44 spec. With one .357 mag revolver taking care of two of those calibers. This might make a .357mag lever action with a .45 on your belt and a 9mm backup (or vice versa) a great combo for long term scrounging. Or better yet a gun like the XDm in .40 with 2 conversion barrels in 9/.357sig. In three guns you would have 6 calibers. One tolerable for hunting, esp. in a 20in lever gun.

In rifles, there are a ton of common hunting cartridges that are non nato. If you are in the north and a large deer hunting area, you will find a lot of deer calibers...If new mexico, you will find more varmint.

It is just not about the numbers sold, but about the number of houses that the ammo is in.

Having said that, the French have a male president that is cool with his wife stepping out on him. I am afraid that country is going to go insane and invade us and we will be picking 5.56 out of FAMAS...So there, the number 1 reason to have a nato rifle is the French.

13. Joe2131

Joe2131 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NATO ammo comes in bulk packed and preserved. Our Government stores this ammo up to 25 years.

14. vafish

vafish XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    And if you buy it as cheap surplus after that 25 years is up it, then store it in a cool dry place it will still be good 75 years from now.

15. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    You can get the surplus stuff cheap, but it will be non-expanding ball ammo. Buying a 7.62x25 tok or a 9 x 18mm pistol will allow you to get cheap ammo, but you won't find it on any dead blue hats.

If you have a 30-30, .270 or a .30-06 you will find ammo. I sort of think that if you can spot the BG's coming a .300 win mag would tend to thin them out a bit before they got within range...