Springfield XD Forum banner

Why did you pick 45 ( or 9mm)??

9K views 80 replies 43 participants last post by  Corsa80 
#1 ·
i just got back from the range shooting a g43, and XDs 45. I have decided on the XDs, and I shot the 45 well, but what swayed you in getting a 45 vs a 9mm or vice versa??

#9 ·
#11 ·
sorry, but back to the OP ?

I own both, some like the p938 are for dress/pocket carry, or the full size 92A1 for range fun/HD, certainly has a much higher round count at 17+1 than my 1911, which fills about the same role. and then I happen to carry a .40 most of the time.

So, nothing i can point to swayed my decision, i just chose different calibers for different guns, even guns that basically fill the same functional role. in some cases 0.45 was not an option, and in others 9mm was not an option. I could have had my xdm .40 in any of the three calibers, but i just decided to go with .40.

that is all it was for me

#17 ·
Because Jeff Cooper said it's like the difference in using a fly swatter and a baseball bat?? o_O

#22 ·
Let me ask this... Would putting a smaller grain bullet reduce recoil or make it more??? Like a 185gr.
First--saying "smaller grain bullet" is like saying "smaller ounce steak". Grains are a measure of weight, so you'd just say "lighter bullet".;)

Second--as pointed out above, if loaded to the same velocity as a heavier bullet, yes; it would have less recoil. However, normally, commercially loaded lighter bullets are usually loaded to higher velocities...and tend to have more muzzle energy. More energy going out the front means more energy coming back in the form of recoil, if the theory that every action has an equal and opposite reaction still holds true.

#26 ·
Grew up shooting Rifles and Pistols .45 Colt Navy powder and Ball , and 45 Colt Ruger Single Action , Went from that to .40 my first handgun,was accurate with it, but missed the "thump" tried and didn't like 9mm to much muzzle flip a little more ooh than ahh. Tried a 1911 in .45
(I feel a more controllable rise muzzle flip)
Loved it, shooting Ragged Holes at 15-20yrds (my vision sucks beyond that) and bought my First 1911, then another than another...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
I picked 9mm because shot placement rules over bullet size. I can hit a target more accurately and have faster follow up shots with 9mm than with 45. Accuracy and speed are the currency which we use to win gun fights.

Plus I get more rounds in the same package as well as can shoot more because rounds are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I like 9mm. Easy to find good bulk sales and I just love sending them down range for loads of fun. In a self defense situation, you better be precise on your target because it may require follow up shots. Picked 45 for my 1911 to keep it traditional. May not be able to afford as much as the 9mm BUT, one 45 placed well is all you need in a self defense situation. So maybe, it's good to use 9mm for practice and acquiring targets but 45 to carry and get the job done.

#33 ·
I saw a bumper sticker last week that said, "45ACP because shooting twice is just silly."
Thought that was funny.

Reactions: choatecav
#39 ·
and Police only shoot how many rounds per year ? I think they need to qualify with their weapons every now and again.
Depends on the state, and likely the department. In Ohio, you can complete the annual qualification with as few as 25 rounds. I've seen novice shooters pass the Ohio qualification first try in 25 rounds. LEO firearms qualification is largely a joke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.