Springfield XD Forum banner

Why did you pick 45 ( or 9mm)??

31K views 215 replies 99 participants last post by  Youngblood 
#1 ·
i just got back from the range shooting a g43, and XDs 45. I have decided on the XDs, and I shot the 45 well, but what swayed you in getting a 45 vs a 9mm or vice versa??

#3 ·
I selected 9mm because it's effective, easier to shoot for both me and spousal unit #1, ammo is/was more available and lastly but somewhat important, less expensive to practice with. All adding up to me being able to get more proficient with my guns. I will be picking up a new .45 Shield though...not sure why...like a moth to to the flame :)

#5 ·
yea I've got a 1911 RO compact 45, mod 2 9mm, and this is my summer gun:razz:. I'll get to put some money towards a couple of things.. I'll HAVE to get some talon grips or stipple the grip. The sites are good enough, and maybe add a PRP trigger kit. Probably in the next year or so I'm going to start reloading so a 45 makes a little more sense to reload since 9mm is so cheap. UGH, decisions decisions

#7 ·
Own both, plus 40 S/W. But my weapon of choice 45 ACP 1911, bull barrel 3.97 STI, plus a full size SS 1911 Kimber. XDM, 9 and 40, I shot alot, and pack the 9 sometimes. 1911, is or for me more accurate. Yes only have 7 or 8 rds. per mag, but I'm old school, I plan on hitting my target, first shot.

#8 ·
I got the .45 shortly after the XDs came out so the 9mm wasn't available yet - and even though I know in my head that with good SD Ammo there isn't a hill of beans difference between 9mm / .40 / .45 when it comes to stopping an aggressor, and that shot placement is king (and queen, and joker...), in my heart I'm still a .45 guy, and have always been a .45 guy even though I own, shoot, and load for 9mm as well.

#9 ·
1) Reasons I got the XDs:
a) Small size (less than one inch thick)
b) Brand reputation

2) Reasons I selected .45:
a) Bullet mass and and old school "stopping" power

Combine the two and it says that I can get a quality, hand sized, carry weapon that is thinner than the vast majority of handguns AND it handles one of the largest rounds used for self-defense.............

Seriously, is there really a question here???

#10 ·
I carried a .45 1911 for 20 years and always did well with it (always qualified expert) but I went with 9mm for most of my SD/CC needs. Both rounds are effective SD rounds. Both are accurate. The 9mm gives me a quicker 2nd shot and greater magazine capacity, plus it is much cheaper to shoot, and I like to shoot a lot.

#11 ·
When I bought mine many of the local gun shops didn't have any XDS's, some had one or two. All I knew is that I wanted one and when i found a 9 at a local shop I snapped it up. I wasn't stuck on one or the other and the ballistics differences with SD loads is pretty minimal. Shot placement and proficiency should outweigh an extra 50 or 60 ft lbs every time. Less money for ammo doesn't hurt either.

#17 ·
The ballistics differences are pretty minimal ?? are you serious ?

I have a couple of pictures my PO buddy sent me, of a guy who shot his foot racking the slide of a XD Service 45acp, and let me tell you, no 9mm could have done the same number.
Fortunately for the guy the bullet went thru between his toes, still not a pretty sight

#12 ·
My reason for selecting the .45 is simple. In a true life-or-death situation I am guessing I will probably get one or maybe 2 shots off at close range. I want those shots to neutralize the threat immediately even if I miss hitting the center of their core body mass. My home defense pistol is a Sig P320 9mm with a 15 round mag.

Reactions: AverageAmerican
#13 ·
The XDs and Shield were both on my short list. I wanted a .45 but the XDs was about $150 more than a Shield. Didn't want .40 cal so I went with a Shield 9mm. Not sorry at all. But I still wanted a .45, so I bought an XDm 3.8" Compact in .45 ACP. LOL, that was even more than the XDs. And now they have introduced a Shield .45 ACP.

#16 ·
Shoot whatever you are comfortable, accurate, and proficient with.

I prefer .45 only in a 1911 , My wife prefers .40 in a Polymer Pistol (Glock) we both despise 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never liked 1911s, I rather have a Sig P220 Elite instead, (some day that is..)
As for now, I'm doing OK with my XD-SC Mod2 and my XD Tactical, both .45acp

Why .45acp ?
Because is just silly to shoot twice ;)

#18 · (Edited)
My reason was a immediate necessity. I got a 9mm because it's what my friend brought me when I said my gun was taken. It was an XDm 9mm 3.8 Compact Complete Set. I traded some knifes for it and the SWBG I had bought when they first came out and sold him. I was all but out of the gun owning world when my wife took my everyday carry and gave it to a preachers son of the church her mother goes to. Well that did it. I started getting guns and stuff for them. She later, when mad at me, took my SWBG. I flied a police report on that one. She later gave it back. I reported I had found it. I should have turned her in. She in jail now for other reasons

#28 · (Edited)
9mm over .45
  1. price per rounds always cheaper which equals more range time, fun with friends, and family.
  2. easier to shoot, more consistently accurate follow up shots. youre not going to put only one .45 in an aggressor.
  3. easier for wife to rack and shoot. its a plus trust me. she loves shooting now and I owe it to the low recoil of 9mm and 5.56
  4. more rounds in mag, which every one should want.
  5. self defense loads act like .45 so what is a negative? you basically have 16+ rounds of .45 in 9mm platforms.
I wouldnt want to get shot with .22lr so why is 9mm any different?
I used to fight muay thai and speed kills power, so maybe im biased.
all in all, its personal preference.
this is like 7.62x39 vs 5.56x45, apples and oranges.
edit: forgot to say I'm eyeballing a sig 220 so im telling my wife I need it. Tell her "its my responsibility to own a .45, cause I am a red-blooded AMERICAN" she just laughs cause she thinks im not serious... :twisted:

#29 ·
...edit: forgot to say I'm eyeballing a sig 220 so im telling my wife I need it. Tell her "its my responsibility to own a .45, cause I am a red-blooded AMERICAN" she just laughs cause she thinks im not serious... :twisted:
Sig makes the P220 in 10mm also.:twisted:

P220-10mm info -rewrite - SIG Talk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.