Who makes a good AK-74?

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by xmas_asn, Jan 17, 2011.

1. xmas_asn

xmas_asn XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im looking to buy a affordable AK-74. Im looking to spend around $600. I have seen a lot of reviews saying that there are problems with FTF and Keyholing. Does anyone know of a good company that makes one?

2. Reyort

Reyort XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Saiga

3. PolsVoice

PolsVoice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    +1 on Saiga. It's your cheapest, best option -- although it will need some modification before it's a "proper" AK.

other than them, I'd suggest Krebs and Arsenal.

4. KP Ling

KP Ling XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on Krebs and Arsenal

All the Arsenal AK-74s are actually Saigas. I believe it is the same for Krebs but I'm not positive. I have an Arsenal and so know more about it. I'll tell you what I know about it but the little I know about Kreb's guns is that they are top quality as well.

Arsenal buys and imports these or partially built guns directly from Saiga. They have to come this way because of import laws. Then, Arsenal under the direction of Saiga gunsmiths or with Saiga trained gunsmiths converts them to these and adds all the compliance parts to make this configuration legal. My guess is that Kreb's does the same thing or does it for customer supplied rifles. Either way, these two are the tops in quality for the AK-74 unless you find someone out there who hand builds them.

I bought the Arsenal because it was available and cheaper. Keep in mind that most AK-74 type rifles are going to be more expensive than the 47s simply because they are rarer due to less demand. You are also going to pay more for the Russian Arsenals and Krebs rifles than you will for other brands or other countries of origin. I also prefer the stock, no frills, original AK set-up of the Arsenals. I'm guessing that Krebs does it too but they seem to do more custom builds than original configurations. I'm betting that the small-batch, custom nature of Krebs builds that they may have the edge in quality of build. I do not think this edge equals a night and day difference between them and the Arsenals but it also translates into lower volume and higher price over the Arsenals.

I'd say buy either one. Both are the top of the list in quality and with the cheapness and availability of quality, surplus, bulk 5.45 ammo you are still getting a bargain over the life of the rifle even with the increased cost up front.

5. mattwestm

mattwestm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Saiga SGL-31 (AK74)converted by Arsenal. Made in Russia, new parts, properly converted.

7. 19cohiba75

19cohiba75 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tag :twisted:

8. PolsVoice

PolsVoice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    One thing that Krebs does, however, is that they build their rifles with a magwell flange. I don't know of any other AK builder who does this. AND they don't sell the flange as an accessory that you or your more local (and cheaper) gunsmith can add to your rifle.

9. Stogies

Stogies XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Just my 2 cents. I have an Inter Ordnance AK47C which I bought for about 400$ and it works well with no problems. I know some people don't like that company but I can't say anything bad about the one that I have. Sadly, they have just raised their prices.

Also, Bud's Guns sold an Arsenal AK for just a smidge over 600. It's been sold out for a while (figures at that price) but sooner or later they will get more. Having that brand in their lineup is too much publicity for them to let it go.

10. Matt1320

Matt1320 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got 2 of the Bulgarian 74 from centerfire systems the are great no key holing 300 rounds throw one of them and 150 throw the other no problems site are rite on 50 yards 2.5 group not bad

11. XDM45MI

XDM45MI XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For what its worth..I am 100% satisfied with my Krebs Ak-74 Carbine. I did change out the rear sights for the Krebs Aperture sights on both of my AK's due to my aging eyesight.

The Krebs build is the Stamped reciever, my Lancaster AK-74 is Milled (with Red Furniture).

Krebs builds are a bit more pricey...but I felt it is worth the extra $$.

cheers

Attached Files:

12. Ruaerikoholic

Ruaerikoholic XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I liked my Bulgy!

13. Spooled

Spooled XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    XDM45MI, those are some great looking rifles.

14. charles123krik

charles123krik XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dude, get the AK-74. I bought a WASR-10 Romanian AK-47 and although it works perfectly has iron sights completely accurate. You can put 2MOA and I love as a child, is and back has a rainbow as a path, is less accurate, less damaging to tissues and penetrates armor less efficient than the bullet of the AK-74 5.45x39mm. Go to Atlantic firearms.com, and you can find one for $ 500 or less if you do not care for extras.

15. G23c

G23c XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you can get a good SAR-2 for that price. I love mine.