Springfield XD Forum banner

Who doesn't use Remanufactured ammo?

8K views 62 replies 28 participants last post by  Ryno785 
#1 ·
Is it true it can damage your gun?

#2 ·
Depends. Are you buying junk reman ammo from a company (or worse, some guy's basement) that you can't trust? Then yes, it can damage your gun.

If you buy from a reliable company, such as Freedom Munitions, LAX, or Georgia Arms (to name a few...there are more), then you can trust it.

I almost exclusively buy and shoot Freedom Munitions for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45. No problems. I think I've experienced one FTF, that's it.

I've had more problems out of WWB lol.

Welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
Thanks man! Yeah Freedom Munitions is who my father in law uses exclusively. I've shot maybe 1000 reman rounds thru his Taurus PT809. He's the one who got me into shooting. His PT is out for repair. Malfunctioned pretty bad after the range two weeks ago. I was just wondering if it was possible it was related. FM definitely look legit tho. Prices are probably the best I've seen. I can just imagine some guy in a white van... "Pssst! Wanna buy some ammo on the cheap? Follow me...." lol

#5 ·
What...a Taurus that had to be sent in for repair??? o_O

Just kidding...kind of. Taurus has had their share of issues for the last few years. I'm not a fan. My pastor had a brand new PT709s that had to be sent in after his first time shooting it (trigger malfunction). Got it back and had to send it in 2 more times. They ended up refunding his money.

Although I have a few buddies that swear by them...guess it's a textbook case of YMMV ;)

I'm heading to the range later today with a few boxes of FM .40 S&W to heat up my Glock 22.

#21 ·
For some reason I read this as saying "... get a fudgeicide" lol. I was like, I'm not sure what a fudgeicide is but I bet it's to die for. :)

#7 ·
As with most things, you get what you pay for. I rarely buy ammo, even more rare to buy remanuf, but I usually go GA.

#10 ·
Actually, that is most ranges. I cant blame them, some duffess comes in & tries his super dupper reloads in their range gun & kbs it.:eek:

#11 ·
If you remanufacture it incorrectly, it can do a lot worse than just damage your gun.

Casings in particular have a finite amount of service life. Exceed that once; things get ugly.

#12 · (Edited)
That Is right. NEVER shoot someone else's reloaded ammo. That includes buying remanf ammo from some dude at a gun show. Sure, lic & bonded/insured manuf like GA, LAX, but still not cheaper than rolling your own.

#17 ·
I've bought reman ammo twice..
Once I bought 1000 rds of BVAC 9mm.
My Glocks and Sigs ate it up, but my 9mm 1911s wouldn't cycle a single mag.
Never bought it again.

I bought 250 rd of 357sig from Ammobiz at a local gun show a few months ago.
Home
The bullets flipped thru the targets, tearing the paper, instead of leaving a single hole in them.
I'll never buy it again.

From now on, only factory ammo gets run thru ALL of my handguns....

#16 ·
Where Freedom Munitions is concerned, I have had a squib, split case and subsequent out of battery kaboom through my registered submachinegun one right after another and why I avoid them like the plague (new 9mm ammo, not remanufactured) because they used clearly defective AMMOLOAD brass casings that had a machined in ridge on the INSIDE of the cases that you can't see until you fire it which caused the brass to split upon firing, and a squib half way up the barrel.

If you look at this next picture, you can actually see the machined ring on the inside edge where the failure happened. Also notice that both case failures happened at the same place.

They suck even with NEW ammo.

Do you see how cleanly this brass separated within the chamber? That's because it gave way at the groove inside of the brass.

I've been saying how dangerous Freedom munitions is here for quite some time, but my warnings have largely gone ignored and I usually read several replies immediately afterwards "Well I've never had a problem with them and I just got free shipping blah blah blah.

Freedom munitions is unsafe. New or Reman.

#34 ·
my warnings have largely gone ignored
Do you think it could possibly be because your issue was one of a handful out of tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of positive experiences? The "out of stock" tags on their website show that they can hardly keep up with demand and if their product was doing this at any measurable percentage, word would spread and their profit would suffer.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

#20 ·
And this, gentlemen, is why we reload. If something goes wrong it's all you. If something goes right it's still all you. I prefer the second scenario.

#22 ·
Lol... a FUDGESICLE is a chocolate popsicle. Fudgeicide on the other hand, sounds just as dangerous as poorly remanufactured ammo. MEDICAL EXAMINER: "Look Sargent, another dead guy with an ice cream stick in his hand and chocolate on his lips!" SARGENT: "Wait... WHAT? No, no one could be THAT evil". CUT TO WHITE VAN DRIVING A FEW STREETS OVER WITH TINKLING BELLS AND A CLOWN HEAD ON TOP. CUE MUSIC: DA DA DUMMMM. FADE TO BLACK!

#24 ·
Companies like Freedom Munitions produce their reman ammo to the same standards as their "new". They inspect all of the used cases first, but really there is no way of knowing how many times they have been remanufactured/reloaded. Most people have no problems with reman, but to me, the savings between reman and new is insignificant, so I stick with the new.

I don't shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds, but if I did, I would probably start reloading my own.

#29 ·
Excellent answers already given and thank you. We NEVER shoot reloads. Period. We DO SHOOT our own hand loads. We hand load for accuracy and precision and not so much for any alleged savings which DO NOT occur because of the time involved which we consider quite valuable. The recreational bench rest shooting is separate from any PREPPING or survivalist stuff. That is different and we use only factory loaded ammo or good military surplus only. Just us. Body parts are just too expensive. HB of CJ (old coot) Pain hurts also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.