Which will be the best choice

Discussion in 'Other Long Gun Talk' started by freddiecolon, Oct 7, 2012.

1. freddiecolon

freddiecolon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Currently I have been looking at three different rifles, Ruger 10-22 take down, Henry Golden Boy 22 level action, and the AR15 22 made by Mossberg and S&W. Everything that I have read tells me that all three seen to be great and fun guns to have, but I will like to know if anyone in this forum have actually fire or owned this trio. And if anyone did, which one will be the best for the price. I would really appreciate any response. Thanks

2. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know nothing about the Henry, but, the 10/22 takedown is a nice gun, don't own one, but, it's still a 10/22 and they are very reliable. I have the mossberg that you are asking about, and it has it's pros and cons. It's fun to shoot, light weight, can be pretty accurate with the right ammo, I used to shoot the federal bulk stuff, and it would shoot 6" varying patterns. It likes cci stinger ammo, it'll shoot that stuff within bout 1/2" groups or less. It's a higher velocity ammo, and I think that's what the gun likes. The 25rnd mag is nice, but hard to find extras. Mainly you have to get them from mossberg. I use a scope on mine, and I do small game hunt with it, it has a bi pod attached and a fore grip. When you want to clean it any further than just cleaning the barrel, you have to take apart the plastic AR looking shell, which means you have to remove any accessories first, the scope, bi pod, fore grip, they all have to come off. That means sighting in the scope more often. Basically, it's just a neat toy, IMO. Would I buy it again, no. If I wanted an AR style .22, I'd get the S&W mp 15-22. That mossberg is just a $100 702 plinkster, cased in an AR style plastic body, and sold for $150 more. I can say, that it does have a really nice trigger pull and is fun to shoot. Just very impractical.

3. scotty8

scotty8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those are three really different guns you're looking at. I own a 10/22 (not the takedown model, actually a bull-barrel target rifle) and the Henry. I have shot a couple of .22 ARs, and in my opinion they're not as much fun as a real AR (except for the full auto version I shot while visiting FL - that was FUN). The Henry is a joy to shoot, extremely accurate, and great looking. As a pinker I don't think it can be beat. The only negative is its slow and awkward to load, but so much fun to shoot you don't mind. The 10/22 is probably one of the most popular guns in the U.S., and for good reason.

Realistically, these weapons are different enough that I could come up with a very good argument for owning all three, so don't think of it as which will you buy, but rather which will you buy first. If you like the nostalgia of the lever action, get the Henry. If you want a good plunked you can just go out and shoot a lot, get the Ruger. Either way, save your money until you can get a real AR rather than spend it on a .22 version.

4. wyodeseertrat

wyodeseertrat XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have shoot both the golden boy and the s&w .22. Like you said both are fun too shoot. I grew up on a Henry golden boy and its a reliable platform, as are most lever guns in my experience. They are pretty darn accurate as well. The few times I did shoot s&w it pretty well. The first time we had a few issue such as failure to cycle, but I think it was a lack of knowledge with the AR platform. It's a straight shooter as well. If I was in the market for another .22 I would pick the Henry.

Sent from my electronic trigger device using Tapatalk

5. freddiecolon

freddiecolon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is great feedback, the last 22 I had was a marlin with the tube magazine, it was OK but not great. Now the Ruger 10-22 take down seems like the best bet, so far every review I have read gives this gun high marks for been very accurate and reliable right out of the box, and it seems that there is lots of accessories for it. So I guess the Ruger will be first and then the Henry which also got great reviews and yeah, the nostalgic look is great. Thanks

6. Rob2

Rob2 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    I own a Ruger 10-22 and a S&W M&P15-22 and have shot them both heavily over the years. Both are very good 22 rifles but priced differently. If you cannot swing the M&P, the 10-22 with a 25rd mag will get you by and be a very good rifle that you can customize to do whatever you want.

Our 10-22 was customized for my 13 year old daughter with a hot pink Hogue stock and a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot. She loves it and has thousands of rounds through the thing and it give us little trouble.

I regularly plink with the M&P and it is probably one of my most-used 22s since we bought it 1.5 years ago. It also wears a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot and has been an accurate and reliable rifle.

Don't know anything about the Mossberg. I wanted a 22 AR that was as close to a 5.56mm AR as possible and the S&W fits the bill.

My dad has a Henry Golden Boy in 17HMR and it is a very nice rifle. Very well made and very accurate. I'd love to have one some day.

That said...it really depends on what you want to do with the rifle...but a 10-22, M&P15-22 or Golden Boy are all GTG if you ask me.

-brickboy240

8. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Own two regular 10/22's & a M&P 15-22. All have proven to be great reliable fun to shoot rifles. Don't own a Henry yet but it's on the list, probably a 22WMR.

The Mossberg AR I handle at the LGS felt cheap & seemed very loose where the frt handguard was mounted. It had alot of slack & rattled. Me, I'd steer clear of the Mossberg myself.

I think everyone should own a 10/22, so that would be my first pick then the 15-22 followed by the Henry.

Good luck!

9. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    the best thing about a 10-22 is that you can customize it easily. You lose much of that with the take-down version.
    a good folding stock would only be a few inches longer than a take-down, taken down.

I'd go with a lever action. Still pretty rapid fire, I like tube mags (big capacity with out a big mag hanging down), and you can fire a variety of shots (including the quiet ones) without worrieng about cycling.

10. LTSRAPCON

LTSRAPCON XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I havent shot the take down model but the 10-22 is a great gun. With that said the Henry lever action is a blast to shoot and by far the most accurate out the box gun I have ever shot.

11. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 10/22 it's a joy to shoot and has been very reliable and accurate straight out of the box. I also own an old Marlin DL81 that I rebuilt. It's tube fed, the action is slow and not very smooth but it's accuracy is beyound belief, so it is also fun to shoot even with it's faults. My next 22 will be the Henry lever action. As I like a little diversity especially when shooting 22lr's. It keeps it interesting and fun. The one nice thing that others have mentioned is you can make a 10/22 anything you want it to be, and the list is endless.

It's hard to go wrong with the 10/22 or the M&P 15-22, a bolt action 22 or the Henry 22. Just a matter of which design you like shooting the best. All bring there own brand of fun to the table when shooting 22's. Personally I'd buy the either the 10/22 or the Henry. There IMO the best bang for the buck in 22 caliber rifles.

12. tdeal823

tdeal823 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have a
    syn. stock basic 10/22
    blue US Shooting takedown 10/22
    S&W M&P 15-22
    "had" a Mossy 22 ar
    have no interest in the Henry

Don't buy the Mossy it is just a fancy 702 plinkster. Very cheap and not of high quality. I have other mossy stuff that i love but the plinkster and its variants ar some of the lower end 22 semis out there.

Ruger 10/22's are like cars and a-holes every has one. and everyone should have one. They are a fine rifle. shoot straight and are easy to play with and customize. however i don't care for any of the magazines. they suck to reload when compared to the S&W M&P 15-22.

In my eyes the S&W M&P 15-22 is the best all around shooter if you want AR feel and function it is the closest to a full AR minus the weight. It is very light and has a plastic quad rail. The Magazines are a dream to reload. I have 10 mags for my 2 15-22's I have put 1000's of rounds through mine and they are wonderful. If you have the cash for the M&P 15-22. My thoughts DO IT!!

13. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    After a year and a half of S&W M&P 15-22 ownership and much heavy shooting....yeah...go for it.

I would have a seriously hard time getting rid of this rifle...it is too much fun.

(...and many kids around here would kill me! LOL)

-brickboy240

14. zipgun

zipgun XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have a bunch of 22 rifles including some "tactical" ones. The 10/22 would be my first choice