Which EOTECH?

Discussion in 'Optics and Glass' started by gun_nut, Mar 6, 2012.

1. gun_nut

gun_nut XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I decided that I should go with an Eotech because I like the big "window" that they have and I feel the sight acquisition is faster than an Aimpoint. I will be working in LE eventually so I didnt want to go with something less than an Eotech, Aimpoint or Acog. I dont think the ACOG would best suit my needs and they are way to expensive anyways. I feel the Eotech is the way to go. I will be using this mostly on a LMT MRP and I may be working in or near the ocean and/or the swamp. Also, I feel that I would preffer to have a sight that works off of AA batteries instead of the 123's because of availability ( I can get AA's at any pharmacy or gas station in my area. 123's not so much.) Also, in SHTF situations AA's will be everywhere, tv remotes, flash lights, radio, etc... So I should get one that can deal with getting wet and takes AA's...maybe with NV capabilites. Any advice? Someone with the same rifle as me at the range told me that the new Eotechs are having battery issues... IDK

2. Uriel999

Uriel999 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    my eotech 552 (has nvg compatibility and uses AA batteries) has been using the same batteries for several years now.

3. Etownguy

Etownguy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I run the exps2-2 and like it. I chose this one because it is smaller than anything in the 5xx line. Exps3-x is night vision compatible but I never plan to have that so I did not care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. XD K7inne09

XD K7inne09 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    XPS 2-0 here. Small footprint leaving more realestate on rails (if you have them) reduced weight over the something such as the 512 and from what I understand the 512 and it's AA feature had some issues with the connections coming loose thus causing the optic to fail. I was in your position a few weeks ago and asked a similar question over at ARF and they said that the XPS/ EXPS models are the "NEW and IMPROVED" thing to go with. The EXPS has the side buttons which are good if you plan on running a magnifier. I am pretty sure that the XPS/EXPS 3- models are NV capable.The CR123 batteries are pretty easy for me to find (have them at my local hardware store Lowe's, who would have thought!) Another thing that might be a big deciding factor for you is battery life 512's I think have somewhere around 1000 hrs where the XPS's have around 600 ..........Good Luck!

5. 06camarodude

06camarodude XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the EXPS2-0, I really enjoy it. I've had it since last August I think, haven't had to change the battery once. Those CR123's will last years in a low-consumption device like an optic. I usually stock up when I'm down to about one or two changes of batteries left, as my Surefire flashlight also uses the same ones. Sure, they're more expensive, but I've been using Surefire for years, and battery interchangeability was important in my decision. I'll probably get a buttstock and VFG for my AR that have battery storage that will allow me to carry a couple spares with me, and I keep a couple in my work bag for the light, so I'm all set.

Here's my review of the EXPS2-0, if you care to read it.

6. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Another EXPS2-0 here. Great sight. Never thought I would have an EOTech but now wonder how I lived without one.

7. 06camarodude

06camarodude XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, I heard a lot of negative comments about EOTech's quality and reliability, and I haven't seen any of those issues with the later generations of EOTech optics. I think the switch from a laterally mounted AA battery to the longitudinally mounted CR123 was a good move, since there were some issues with the electronics in the AA models, particularly if you left a battery in the sight for extended periods without using it. Seems the XPS models have eliminated those problems.

Like I said, I couldn't be happier with mine.

8. Smokehouse

Smokehouse XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm running an EXPS2-0 on my AR and a 517 on my M&P 15-22. So far I love them...

Given a choice, I would go with the EXPS every time but I figured that being less $$ and being mounted on a .22, the 517 will do for my M&P.

I have used the EXPS some (probably 10-12 range hours and 500 rds) and it is rock solid. The 517 not used that much figuring I just picked the sight up a few months ago. I assure you it will take a beating this summer though, my M&P saw in excess of 5000 rounds in just 5 months last season, it will see the same this year...I'll have a better idea then.

9. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    own three Eotech 512s and an XPS2-0 here. Swap to lithiums - longer shelf life, longer battery life, wont leak like akalines, slightly lighter.

10. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    My 512 has been perfect for my range rifles and my EXPS 3-0 was perfect for my M4 while I was deployed, I also paired that with a the GEN II 3x magnifier which worked great but added a lot of weight.

I did a post about dropping my EXPS onto concrete while cleaning from about 2.5-3 feet up and when I put it back on the rifle it was still dead nuts on zero. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!

11. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I already own a Trijicon TA31F ACOG and I absolutely love it. It is a rather expensive scope but well worth the investment. I put the ACOG on my current AR build that I just finished.
    I am now looking for optics to put on my light weight Del-Ton and I was going back and forth between Aimpoint and EOTech. There are a lot of Aimpoint fans out there and they don't mind voicing their opinions over EOTech's and I have done the research and Aimpoint seems to take more abuse and has the longest battery life compared to EOTech. EOTech, however, has a bigger field of view which means faster target acquisition. I also like the fact that EOTech's tend to sit lower or have a lower profile when sitting on top of an AR-15¬óbasically the EOTech looks much cooler in my humble opinion...

So which one did I decide on? I pretty much based my decision on the idea that I was going to support the U.S. economy by going with the EOTech. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Aimpoint, they make great optics but they are also made in Sweden. Companies such as EOTech and Trijicon, they are both U.S. born and bred companies and I try to make my purchases based on this concept...providing that the item I am purchasing is not junk (the U.S. does make some crappy stuff after all) :cool:

So with that said, I am looking to go with the EOTech HHSI, or at least the EXPS3 for now (I can always purchase a magnifier later)...

However, you are looking for an EOTech that uses AA batteries as opposed to the 123 batteries. I have friends that own the EOTech 512 and they have not had any issues with it at all. As for battery issues with the new EOTech's, I have not heard anything yet. EOTech's are more of a battery hog than the Aimpoints but if you make a mental note to replace batteries on your birthday in which ever EOTech model you decide to get, you won't have to worry about dead batteries... :)

12. Blister64

Blister64 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it helps, I'm going with a EXPS2-0 here in a few weeks. Less issues than the older ones and fits my needs. Good luck

13. ArmedTroll

ArmedTroll XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an eotech l3 which is pretty cheap 400 range takes aa batts and i love it. Never had battery problems. I love having aa, s best decision i ever made on an optic.

14. Jedi XD

Jedi XD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I like my XPS 2-0. Quite the sturdy, tough package.

I do have the Optics planet package though so it's the XPS 2-0 in the XPS 3 chasis(basically same specs as XPS 3 but not NV compatible).

15. modarmory

modarmory XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Regarding the battery problems. Eotech 512 (AA's) the batteries are located in a separate compartment. If there is a problem with batteries leaking, shorting, etc. Eotech will fix / repair / replace the sight for you. We use the Exps3-0 but others have reported even outside of the warranty period they were able to get their 512's repaired.