Springfield XD Forum banner

Which EDC knife between these 2?

7K views 74 replies 20 participants last post by  wlhawk 
#1 ·
#5 ·
make sure you get a sharpening system to properly accomidate...I am waiting for my local dealer to get in a Benchmade Auto with partial serration for me to handle

Might look closer at your suggestions too!

#6 ·
#8 ·
This one.

ZT are the upgraded Kershaw's, yeah it's more money but over the years you'll appreciate the S30V blade.

Zero Tolerance ZT0350 Folding Pocket Knife 3.25 Drop Point S30V Steel

I've got it and it's big brother, the ZT300, and they are my most carried knives.

Benchmade's are also excellent choices.

Benchmade 950 Rift Folding Pocket Knife 3.67 Reverse Tanto Point 154CM

But if you're only interested in the 2 your posted I'd go with the second.
Damn, I mean, yeah, those are sweet. But like I said, working outside and taking this knife on and off, it could get lost very easily. I'd hate to lose $140-180 knife.

#7 ·
I prefer serrated blades. at least partially serrated. And i have become a die hard spyderco fan. Of course it does depend in part in what you use the blade for primarily. They stay "sharp" longer, i use them mostly for cutting rope and opening boxes, and when camping for food as well. steak knives are serrated for a reason, but a paring knife is not- but i still find i would rather have the serrations than not. just my opinion. as for your choices, at that price, i really do not think you can go wrong!

#9 ·
I know, not the best. But, the price can't be beat for a name brand knife. Both under $22. Only reason I'm looking is due to the fact if it gets lost, I won't be too mad. Working outside with it, so the possibility of losing it is somewhat high.

Amazon.com Kershaw 1830 OSO Sweet Knife with Stainless-Steel Blade and Nylon Handle with SpeedSafe Sports Outdoors

Amazon.com Kershaw 1605CKTST Black Clash Folding Serrated SpeedSafe Knife Sports Outdoors
I have been carrying a variety of Kershaws for several yrs....in the 25-30 range....I lose one a yr...at least....lol

#11 ·
The first one has a better blade. At least from my understanding. I would get that one. I have a Kershaw and it's been great. I wouldn't worry if I lost it because of the price and it cuts most anything I need it to. I just bought a new edc knife so I've been looking into them a lot. If you're open to any others, check out the Ontario rat 2. Lateboyscout raves about it.

#16 ·
I have a kershaw ken onion and it has been great. It goes everywhere with me. They're up to $55 now but I believe I got mine for $40.

I do not like the auto opening knifes that open with a dingus that sticks out when closed. They always come open in my pocket. The onion has a thumb stud and never comes open accidentally.

#17 ·
I have a kershaw ken onion and it has been great. It goes everywhere with me. They're up to $55 now but I believe I got mine for $40.

I do not like the auto opening knifes that open with a dingus that sticks out when closed. They always come open in my pocket. The onion has a thumb stud and never comes open accidentally.
The SOG and Benchmade Autos have a safety switch to prevent this...but I know exactly what you mean!

#22 ·
#23 ·
Their flip knives with the IKBS flip open so smoothly! You can go look on YouTube for video reviews to see what I mean. If I am going into the woods to survive and need to do bush craft work I am going with a fixed blade like a Tops Shango XL which has an awesome blade and shango fire steel striker. $160 not $275 for a name brand.

#27 ·
I would be willing to pay at most $150 for that ZT I was looking at. My Shun kitchen knives with their beautiful Damascus blades and handles different story. None of them cost $275 so the way I see it you are paying about $125 just for the ZT brand name. A lot more expensive materials and time went into my kitchen knives.

#29 ·
#32 ·
Their is nothing cheap about these knives. There is no reason for a ZT to cost what it does is my point. There is nothing that special about it that other knifes can't do at a fraction of the price. There is not $275 bucks of material and labor in that knife. Is my point. No clue as to why anyone would recommend one to someone. Every time some ask for a good reasonable priced knife you have people say ZT but they are not reasonably priced for what you get.

#35 ·
Says you.

I own 3 ZT's, 2 Benchmade's, 2 Buck / Tops, a Spyderco Vallotton, An Emmerson CQC-7, an Ontario XM-1, and at least a dozen Kershaw's, Gerber's, and Buck's. I used to work next to the Buck factory when it was in CA and I've been buying quality knives for 30 years. And of all the knives I own the best, the very best, is this:

It's a Zero Tolerance 0300 with an S30V blade, tungsten coating, and the face is G10 while the back is milled titanium. You may think it's not worth the 300 I paid for it but I own it while you are speculating. You can also get fine ZT knives for around $100 bucks if you look for them.

The OP posted a question seeking opinions and I gave him mine, if that answer upset you too darn bad. Go buy a dozen high end knives then come back and tell me they're not worth it.

#39 ·
You don't.

I'm not a giant fan of tantos personally but but this is a single side grind and quite easy to sharpen. My naked arm can attest to that.

If I was gonna spend any more on a folder, I'd be going for the Spyderco Endura Wave.

Now neither of these are small for the pocket mind though. The 8K however has G10 on both sides unlike some of the other Kershaw Emerson knives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.