Springfield XD Forum banner

Which AK to choose from.

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  axel2078 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first AK. Well, I had a 223 Saiga some years ago, but not sure that really counts. I am looking to spend $500. I have my eye on an NPAP or maybe an IO M247. I have heard some bad things about IO but mostly from people who have never owned one.

I guess my question is, which one should I get? Is there an AK variant that I am over looking? What about Polish AK's with the fold under stock?

#2 ·
The PAP models do not take standard AK furniture. While the wood furniture on them are really nice, I wasn't a big fan of the high comb stock and ended up buying a canis group Yugo buttstock adapter and dph skeleton stock. There is a thread here that I started either on Christmas day or just after maybe.

So if you are planning to exchange the buttstock and handguard, that is a consideration you need to know about with any of the PAP models.

The WASR 10's have been much more decent the last few years, and they are a "standard" AK layout.

I also have an IO inc AK. It was the STG2000 east german variant and while I like it, the NPAP is by far a much nicer gun.

#3 ·
I'd recommend either the NPAP (not withstanding the interchanability issue John A referenced) or the WASR10. I just bought a WASR recently and it's been great so far! Sights were not canted, mag well fit is perfect and overall fit and finish is excellent! I know lot of folks like to hate on the WASR's and they did have issues years ago, but they have fixed those QC problems and the newer WASRs are great guns. I also really like the TAPCO trigger that both the WASR and the NPAP come with. I think if you go with either of those you'll be in good shape!

#5 ·
Lots of people talk bad about I/O because...they suck. I have had 2 I/O Aks, both went back. I have fixed 5. They put out good ones as well as some turds. A bunch of turds.
But a new Century C39 if you want a US made weapon. Yugo AKs are great. You might be good with one from I/O. Also look at Pioneer Arms/Radom. if you don't mind using a dremel on the magwell, Classic Arms has Hungarian AKs that have single stack magwells and the short gas tube/piston for $419. You just finish the assembly.
Hungarian AMD 63 65 Barreled Receiver 90 Complete Build Kit

Shop the prices on the net.

#8 ·
Lots of people talk bad about I/O because...they suck. I have had 2 I/O Aks, both went back. I have fixed 5. They put out good ones as well as some turds. A bunch of turds.
But a new Century C39 if you want a US made weapon. Yugo AKs are great. You might be good with one from I/O. Also look at Pioneer Arms/Radom. if you don't mind using a dremel on the magwell, Classic Arms has Hungarian AKs that have single stack magwells and the short gas tube/piston for $419. You just finish the assembly.
Hungarian AMD 63 65 Barreled Receiver 90 Complete Build Kit

Shop the prices on the net.
I have also looked at the Pioneer rifles, but I like that you get a scope mount with the NPAP. Not sure I would ever use a scope, but I like the option.

The Hungarian build seems like a good option too. I did a 922r conversion on my 223 Saiga so I think I could complete that build kit.

#6 ·
#7 ·
#9 ·
I just got the NPAP for Christmas and shot it for the first time on Saturday. I had heard of the infamous "cheek slap" of the NPAP's fixed wooden stock due to the high comb, but I wanted to see if it was true for myself. After the first round fired, I knew it to be true. After about 10 rounds, I could feel a welt in my cheek. I managed to squeeze off about 80 rounds total before I had to call it quits because it was just too painful. I had a bruised cheek as well. I also had my father-in-law shoot it just to make sure it wasn't something I was doing, but after he fired the first round and I heard him yell "Sh1t!!", I knew it wasn't just me. He fired a few more shots and said "I'm done. I like it, but I'd have to do something about that." I tried pulling the stock tighter into my chest and I tried to move my face forward as much as I could, but I just couldn't get a good cheek weld with that high comb. I'm going to put the ACE skeleton stock on it and run with that. It's a great rifle, but if you plan on sticking with iron sites, the fixed stock may be a problem.

#11 ·
I was just about to post a "Best Bargain in an AK?" thread myself...same parameters: around 500 bux, able to accept standard AK mags and accessories, no oddball proprietary bits and pieces.
I'm not as "into" the AKs as I am ARs so trying to absorb the lingo and decipher which companies are reputable from various reviews is a little tedious. But I still think an AK would make a nice addition to the armory.
Hopefully this little bump will bring along some more people w knowledge and experience.
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.