Where to buy 9mm Conversion Barrel for XD-40?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by dorough, Aug 20, 2009.

1. dorough

dorough XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure this information has probably been passed around, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for right off-hand. Where can I buy the 9mm drop-in barrel for my XD-40? Are there different/more reliable brands? Any idea how much they cost?

Also, once I do get this barrel in, do I also need new 9mm magazines? Seems like I was reading that I can just pump my 40 mag full of 9 cartridges. True?

2. thisismyusername

thisismyusername XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    There are several companies who make conversion barrels, below is one that I have for my Sub Compact. As far as the magazines, I believe you can modify the lip of the .40S&W magazines, but I chose to buy the 9mm magazines.

Welcome to EFKFireDragon.com

3. Spartan299

Spartan299 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    EFK= GOOD! I bought the 9mm mags also rather than altering my 40s.

4. nit3hawk1803

nit3hawk1803 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    okey,i have they xd 9 service..and i would like to get the 40 conversion barrel..is it legal to carry the 40 while cc?

5. Ccspinner

Ccspinner XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They don't sell a up conversion, only down. They say something about the 9 to 40 is not workable due to the block space for the back of the case. The firing pin wont hit.

6. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    DoRought... Try Pistol Gear for the barrel. They are a sponsor here and I bought one of their replacement barrels for my XD40 Service Model. It dropped in and worked splendidly.

Nit3hawk... You cannot go UP in caliber because the barrel of the 9mm is thinner than the required barrel for the .40 would be and so it won't go through the hole in the front of the slide. Plus... the breechface of the 9mm is more narrow than the .40 and so the cartridge would likely hang there and not feed. The extractor is also closer to the centerline of the bore and would also interfere with feeding without modification. So no... you can't go from 9mm to 40 without a new slide, and Springfield won't sell you one.

Conversely, if you have a .40, you can get a 9mm conversion barrel that is wider like the .40 and so will fit in the hole in the front of the slide. The breechface being a bit larger than the 9mm breechface will allow the 9mm to feed. 9mm magazines will go a long way to insure that the rounds feed correctly as they will position the nose of the cartridge more correctly than an unmodified .40 mag will. Besides... why mess up a perfectly good .40 magazine when 9mm ones are readily available?