When to d-grease handguns and what degreaser to use?

Discussion in 'Rusty Tales' started by Xcalibur, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Xcalibur

Xcalibur XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all. I have one question about degreasing a hadgun..both pistols and revolvers.
    I dont know when to degrease a handgun. The first time i degreased my beretta 92fs and Ruger p94 and an old webbley & scott .38 cal. revolver was when i first got em. the pistols were brand new and had factory greese and the revolver , though old but hardly used, was dry and had never been fired, or lubed or greesed. I used Hoppes Elite gun cleaner as i have been told it is a carbon solvent as well as an excellent degreaser. After that i have been using it to clean my handguns after shooting .
    What i do is this. i take my guns, run dry patches thru the bores before shooting to clean out any oil and lube and when the barrel is bone dry ( i let the gun oil in all the other places though, the outside of the barrel, inside of the frame and the rails etc) and then i shoot my handguns. After that i just use hoppes elite gun cleaner to clean my guns an dthen luvbe the afterwards with hoppes lubricating oil.
    Am i doing it all right? And when should i use the hoppes elite gun cleaner to degrease my pistols instead of cleaning it?
    Also tell me if i should use hoppes #9 to clean my guns and elite gun clenare to degreas eit
    And what should i do first ,, clean the guns after cleaning and then degrease an dthen lube them or degrease them first then clean and lube them?

As usual ia m confued about this and would appreciate any and all help.
    Regards.

2. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Your over thinking things way too much. As long as you dont have oil dripping from the barrel, no need to even swab the barrel out before shooting. As far as cleaning, just use whatever works best for you. Some folks use carburator cleaner, some use gun solvents, etc... Use whatever has been working for you and then reoil lightly when your done.

3. jonny4523

jonny4523 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I clean after each range trip. Hoppes, patches, Boresnake, wire brush, dental picks, cheap tooth brush. Use these tools to clean off all of the crud. Wipe dry with patches. Lube on friction areas with Militec (my personal preference). Head to the range. Repeat.

4. slamin

slamin XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Allways start with the manual.it wont go into real detail,but gives you guidance on lubrication points and cleaning tips. alot is plain good old common sense.and of course the product you are using will have the instructions on it! if we take the time to read them

5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I just use Dawn dish detergent. Like the ad says, Dawn cuts grease.

6. LancerV

LancerV XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I hope your joking.....

But Brake Cleaner(CRC Red Can)/Gun Scrubber are the same thing and work the best, also slip2000 degrease is great and doesnt give you hand cancer.

As far as degressing goes it really depends on what works best for you. Is it a carry gun you prob dont need to degrease but every couple thousand rounds. Is it a competion gun I would degrease after every competion, very thourghly though like virgin clean. On my comp guns I take it completely apart every 500-1000rounds, and degrease and relube everything.

As for cleaning goes KG12 and KG1 are the best ones out, Im not sure whats in KG12 but its got a warning on it that says its toxic so I would use gloves. Ussually my routine goes

Degrease (Brake Cleaner or Slip 2000) all parts
    KG1 all parts
    Relube with gunbutter

For the Bore its goes:
    KG12 (copper remover)
    KG1 (Carbon Remover)
    JB Bore Past
    JB Bore Bright
    Weapon Shield through the final wipe down

Also make sure you use a quality lube, notice I didnt say CLP. Ive tested out almost everyone out there.

Heres all the ones I tested (Plus miltec, 10w30, 3in1 oil)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also heres my cleaning box it actually had some parts missing though when I took the picture
    [​IMG]

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I like Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe spray. I use it when I feel the firearm needs cleaning. I believe people clean too much/too often.
    I then grease anything that rubs/slides and oil things that pivot.
    Use very little lube, I also believe people over lube.

8. GAMEOVER

GAMEOVER XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Go to lowes/home depot and pick up a can of Napatha. This stuff disolves grease faster then anything ive seen. I use it on my fishing reel bearings.