Springfield XD Forum banner

what would YOU pay for my 1911?

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bigun 
#1 ·
I figured instead of asking "what is my 1911 worth" I would ask what you would pay for it. I suppose that question is asked much less on the forum ;)

Ill post pics soon. Here's the info for you...

I dont know what year it was made, but it was many years ago-My grandfather gave it to me. I cant find anywhere to date it, and there seems to be no serial number associated with the gun to provide that information. Any resources you know of to date a pistol?

The frame is stamped as follows: Essex Arms, Co.
Island Pond, VT

The slide is stamped as follows:

Colt's PT.F.A.MFG Hartford, Conn. USA

The Barrel is marked "COLT .45 AUTO"

The rear sights are marked "BO-MAR PAT."

Other than those markings, there are no serial numbers, no other markings, etc.

It is made of blued steel and has wood grips. The rear sights are adjustable. The length is 5." It has a magazine capacity of 7+1. It functions normally and has been cleaned every time it has been fired.

See less See more
#3 ·
There really should be a serial number on the frame.
That would probably be the "8867".

Sounds like a bit of a Frankengun; that is, parts from various sources assembled into a workable gun.

Unless you have some information about custom gunsmithing work done to it, or anyting like that...I'd pay about $400 for it, tops, assuming that fit & function was good.

#4 ·
Sounds like a mixed parts put together 1911. but yeah there really should be a serial number on the frame if not I am pretty sure it would be considered illegal. try taking the slide off and looking on the inside of the frame possible the inside of the dustcover for it. As far as I can tell Essex only made receivers and slides not whole firearms. Their frames are popular choices for people who build 1911's. So really any worth is going to come from A) The Colt slide what model is it from what yr was it made ect B)Who put the gun together, if it was a big named gunsmith than it could possibly be worth something. Get some pics up of the whole 1911 both sides of the slide and frame. and check under the grips for any possible markings as well.

yeah actually as Cuda said the 8867 is most likely the serial number didnt even see that.

#7 ·
Ok I'll get some pics asap...I looked all over the slide inside and out but couldnt find anything. The only number is what I read off of the reciever. It looks like it might have an aftermarket trigger on it but I really dont know much about the gun to be honest. My grandfather has passed on and I cant ask him.

My father told me that in discussions with my Grandfather, he had said that he used it for shooting competitions early in his Navy career. My father claims that the Navy upgraded it and issued it to my Gdad but I dont believe it- the military is waaay too careful to let a firearm slip out of their hands like that, and I believe it would be marked as a military firearm... anyways, I'll try and take some pics soon. My blackberry takes some pretty horrid closeups though :(

#8 ·
Ok I'll get some pics asap...I looked all over the slide inside and out but couldnt find anything. The only number is what I read off of the reciever. It looks like it might have an aftermarket trigger on it but I really dont know much about the gun to be honest. My grandfather has passed on and I cant ask him.

My father told me that in discussions with my Grandfather, he had said that he used it for shooting competitions early in his Navy career. My father claims that the Navy upgraded it and issued it to my Gdad but I dont believe it- the military is waaay too careful to let a firearm slip out of their hands like that, and I believe it would be marked as a military firearm... anyways, I'll try and take some pics soon. My blackberry takes some pretty horrid closeups though :(
The military "lost" thousands of 1911 pistols after WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Pretty simple when out in the bush to "lose" one.

Ask any veteran of the current wars how throughly they get searched now days.

Pretty sure the military never used any Essex frames.

#9 ·
It is a Frankengun built by someone on an Essex frame. They can be good or bad, depending on the abilities of the builder. The Bomar target sights suggests to me it might have been built for NRA competition and may be one of the good ones, but that isn't enough info to be sure. A good 1911 gunsmith and a few rounds of match ammo shot by someone who knows his way around a 1911 can add more information.

Is the Bomar sitting on top of the slide or "melted" into milled recesses in the slide?

CX

Edit: I missed the part about Navy competition. It is probably a good shooter then.

#10 ·
Yep, Frankengun. The Navy did not use Essex frames, especially without serial numbers. Any 1911 with an Essex frame is not very desirable, probably worth more to you in sentimental value.

As far as the question of what would I pay for it, I would not buy one with an essex frame unless I needed the parts for something else. With no serial number on the frame I would recommend finding a colt or caspian, or fusion forged frame and make it legal.

Many of the old gi colts "got out of the service" and the guys messed up the serial number so they could not be traced. The frame possibly got changed on it for that reason. Unfortunately one with NO serial number was substituted and that makes it illegal.

Edit: here is a discussion on that very thing.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Trying to get some history on my 1911

#11 ·
Yep, Frankengun. The Navy did not use Essex frames, especially without serial numbers. Any 1911 with an Essex frame is not very desirable, probably worth more to you in sentimental value.

As far as the question of what would I pay for it, I would not buy one with an essex frame unless I needed the parts for something else. With no serial number on the frame I would recommend finding a colt or caspian, or fusion forged frame and make it legal.

Many of the old gi colts "got out of the service" and the guys messed up the serial number so they could not be traced. The frame possibly got changed on it for that reason. Unfortunately one with NO serial number was substituted and that makes it illegal.

Edit: here is a discussion on that very thing.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Trying to get some history on my 1911
I agree, Essex made a bunch of money off making frames for either parts guns or GI guns that someone "Liberated" and didnt want to get caught with Most are servicible not to Caspian standards but servicable. $450 is the most I'd pay as a shooter and for that money I'd get a Rock Island. Keep it as a memento of Grandpa, Shoot it every once in a while and pass it on to your kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.