What training should I take?

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by DanB, Dec 7, 2010.

1. DanB

DanB XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What type of training should I look for? Not trying to be a sharpshooter, but I want to be good. Any recommendations in the Atlanta, GA area would be great.

2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Kind of depends on your current skill level. If you are brand new to guns then a basic handgun class to learn the fundamentals (grip, stance, sight picture, trigger press, etc). If you already have the basics then a Defensive Pistol class if you are talking about handguns. Beyond that are Advanced Pistol, Close Range Gunfighting, Low Light, etc. All depends on your current level of skill.

3. BIG RUPE

BIG RUPE XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    2 weeks ago I attended a basics course.
    A lot of the stuff they go over is the same stuff you read everywhere(stance, grip, sight pic/align, etc...) but it was nice to shoot in front of an instructor to give you pointers & correct you.

The 'basic handgun course' is a great course for your first one (IMO)

4. DanB

DanB XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Good Points. Thanks

5. DanB

DanB XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

That's right in line with my thinking as well. Now on to finding one.
    Thx

6. Clay1

Clay1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As an instructor I like the way that you are thinking. No, not because you are a potential client, but because as a man, you think that you could do better with some knowledge.

Many people, mostly men, think that this gun stuff should come to us in the womb. It's a learned skill set and we don't know, what we don't know. Think of it as continuing education as well. Just because you took one class once upon a time, that is not the end of it. Keep training so that you can continue to get more out of your own practice sessions.

Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. I see people often with ingrained bad habbits that take a lot of work to break. Learning the basics the right way and then practicing those skills learned with guidance is a grand course.

Good luck with whatever you decide and again, congrats on your line of thinking.

Rick

7. Vidego

Vidego XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. talonbourne01

talonbourne01 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok...so you have got a gun...now what...basic question to ask yourself...another is reason for having it...do you know the laws in your state in regards to using it...once you have that done...the soul searching you do with the can I take a life question...now you have that done...now what...answer is...practice practice practice...get a good range and practice...but practice what...which stance is better than the other...and such...that is where the professional instructor comes into play...go to the monthly meeting for your club...see and pick the brains of the old guys there...they will give some good and some bad advice but at least they will help point you in the right direction...

9. Vidego

Vidego XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just because they're old, doesn't mean they got that way by being smart. Maybe just lucky.

Hell, I'm old. Now I'm doing something about it!

LOL