What makes one AR better than the other?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by ah8176, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Seriously?

Everyone knocks DPMS and praises Colt but what really makes the difference so severe? Yes, I have seen "the list." What makes one brand better than the other? How is this measured and decided?

2. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Boy, what a can of worms this is going to open.

What makes the difference so severe?

I guess many will say Quality Control. Others will say brand loyalty. And others will just be confused.

3. Dan Carey

Dan Carey XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The quality of the barrel is the biggest factor if you want accuracy. Then comes the rest of the parts. I think Rock River is at the top of the heap and olympic arms is at the bottom.

4. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Better is a tough answer.

Some folks use their AR more often and run it harder than others.

Some folks have ARs that will never see more that 2000 rounds in a life time. They might not ever test the limits of any AR.

Some of the answer for what is better comes from actual usage vs actual breakage through heavy usage.

Some of it is from comparing it to the Colt. Part of the reason for comparing to Colt is that they have real world use. That gives a good measuring point.

Some of the reason is just because everyone wants what they have to be the best, regardless of reality.

Different materials, different methods, different uses, different quality control.

For some the difference in the best choice depends on the intended use.

The chart just compares things that are thought by many folks to be quality gauging characteristics.

I say shoot what you have until it breaks and then upgrade what you can. No matter what carbine a person has there are some things that are easy to upgrade that will get it closer to acceptable for heavy usage.

If you are in the market..... why not go with products that are known to be good - especially if the intended use is personal protection.

Just like anything we buy we have to decide what the intended use is and then decide what set of guidelines we want to use to choose from.

Another method - ask gunsmiths and police armorers what they see break a lot - there are certain parts of any AR that wear faster than other parts. There are also certain ARs put out by certain manufacturers that break more often than other ARs.

5. Uriel999

Uriel999 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    what makes an ar better than others. Well depending on the website it will be what some random guy says is awesome because that is what he owns. There are others who worship at the alter of "the chart." In reality you have to measure what is best for you.

6. rjacobs

rjacobs XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What? You have the oly part right, but not the RR part. RR is a tier 2 AR at best.

To answer the OP's question. The higher end(tier 1) AR's will all generally meet or exceed the M16 TDP that both Colt and FN use. Lots of people rip on Colt(some for good reason, others not) but the truth is if FN made an AR15 it would be the same quality as Colt.

Things that a Tier 1 AR will have:
    4150 Barrel Steel that is both MP and HP tested with proper(per the TDP) coatings both inside and outside the barrel
    Carpenter Steel Bolt with a FA BCG that is MP and HP tested as well as again having the proper coatings and a properly setup extractor(5 coil with black insert)
    Properly sized gas port on the barrel and corresponding proper sized gas tube
    All applicable parts on the gun staked properly i.e. castle nut and gas key
    Proper(per the TDP) coatings on the lower and upper

and more stuff I am missing.

This stuff adds up. Putting the proper coatings on vs. just black anodizing adds cost. Using better quality steel in the barrel and better aluminum in the upper and lower cost more. HP and MP testing certain parts(every part, not just batch testing) adds cost. What these things do also is add longevity to the weapon.

The biggest issue I have is that people will buy a RRA for 1000 bucks when they could have bought a Colt 6920 for 1200 or a DDXV or BCM for around that same 1000, maybe less, and had a much better quality gun.

7. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So does that mean that your BCG will have the FAS with FPC and QTD up to HXQZ testing standards as per TTPCYW?

:D:D:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist but you gotta admit that's ALOT of acronyms.

8. rjacobs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ya want me to spell them out for ya? It is a lot of acronyms, but they are very commonly used when talking about AR's.

9. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If what you have works for you and you have no complaints it doesn't matter if somebody says that another brand is better. I have a Ruger SR556 but many people have crapped on it because they only offer it with a 1 in 9 twist and not a 1 in 7. I don't care because it feels good, shoots good and does what I want and need it to do.

10. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    "The Chart"

[​IMG]

11. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    AR folks equate Mil Spec with quality. An entirely Mil Spec rifle is considered Tier 1 (the best) and it goes down from their. Lots of the "Tier 2" rifles have huge followings and would serve most of us well with proper care.

12. Chapie+

Chapie+ XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Maybe what we need is (another) thread on bringing your AR up to spec / improvements you can make for reliablility, etc. I'm not talking which optic, light, laser, grip, stock, etc, but what can be done to make your AR reliable like staking this and that and so forth.

Someone want to start a thread or direct me to a thread that speaks to improving what you have rather than buying something else?

Chapie+

13. ragsflh

ragsflh XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    my chevy ar is better than your ford ar.

14. Ibasiuyac

Ibasiuyac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Paging Dr. mvician ..... Dr. mvician to this thread stat!

15. DamnYank

DamnYank XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where exactly is "the list"?

16. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1!
    I have a Ruger SR556 as well as two Colts (LE6920 and a Sporter Model 6601). The Ruger shoots as well as any of those two with its 1:9 twist Heavy Barrel. It was wise of Ruger not to go with the M4 profile.

There is a thread on ar15.com that proves its accuracy.

Ruger SR556 in the middle of my Colts:
    [​IMG]

17. laserrs

laserrs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What makes Mil-Spec so special? I would consider a Noveske or KA to be considerably better than Mil-Spec.

18. tracker366

tracker366 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    BRING UP THE CHART..
    BRING UP THE CHART..
    BRING UP THE CHART..

JK...........:lol:
    Please Dont:)

19. rjacobs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Noveske and Knights Armament both either adhere to or exceed the mil-spec depending on what area of their rifles you are looking at.

20. Fdxpilot

Fdxpilot XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, threads on the internet don't "prove" anything. All you have are individuals stating their opinions.

Second, no one said a Ruger, or 1 in 9 barrels in general, were innacurate. They're saying those barrels simply have problems with the more modern, longer and heavier, target, hunting, and self-defense rounds. Have you used any ammo in the 75-77 gr range, with success in your Ruger? Examples would be Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr. Boattail Hollow Point, Hornady 75gr Match Boat Tail Hollow Point, Privi Partisan 223 Match Ammo 75 Gr Boat Tail HP, Remington 223 Rem. 77 Grain Premier MatchKing Boattail Hollow Point, or Hornady TAP Law Enforcement 75gr Hollow Point.

My opinion, based on what I have seen at the range (mostly S&W and DPMS 1 in 9 barrels,) is that 1 in 9 barrels have trouble stabilizing heavy rounds. The 1 in 7 barrel doesn't seem to have this problem.