What is it worth? M96

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by beardman2, Aug 30, 2005.

1. beardman2

beardman2 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a M96 Swedish Mauser a few years back. I've only had it out to the range once. The darn ammo is pricey so I'm considering trading it for something I'd be able to shoot more often.

Anyway it is marked:
    Carl Gustafs Stads
    Gevarsfaktori

The last three of the serial number are on the bolt, action, but plate, magazine plate on the bottom as well as both barrell straps. The cleaning rod however does not match.

The brass plate has stamps over the number 3 in both sections.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this thing is really worth?

2. ken_mays

ken_mays XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anywhere from $150 to $250 depending on condition, and assuming it's a run-of-the-mill M96 without any special provenance or distinguishing factors.

3. mr0w1

mr0w1 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not purporting to actually know anything at all, but I'd say $150 is the 1995 price on that. I've seen them priced all the way up to $300 recently, IIRC, and haven't seen one below $200 in a long, long time.

But like I said; there is the very real possiblity that I don't know anything. Check Gun Broker and Auction Arms for their prices on them.

4. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    What kind of condition is it in? Do all the serial number match on all parts? (the Swedes numbered everything)

I'd say its worth 250-350, depending on condition, matching numbers and maybe if there is a Finnish Army "SA" stamp on the receiver - that can add value to some collectors.

Seriously though, of all my rifles, my three Swedes would be some of the LAST things I would get rid of. The quality and feel of a Swedish Mauser is superb. It is also more accurate than most rifle you'll buy today as well. As time goes by, an all-matching M1896 Swede Mauser Long Rifle will only go up in value...are you SURE you want to get rid of it? Hell, I'd trade a pile of modern, plastic and aluminum new guns for one really nice Swede Mauser - theres just something about those old rifles...the quality and attention to detail in their making..that makes them very special.

If you look around on the internet, I really don't find that 6.5x55 ammo is any more expensive than 30-06, 270 or other hunting centerfire calibers in boxes of 20. Sure, its no 223 or 9mm in the price scenario, but its not as bad as trying to find 7.7 Japanese or 6.5 Carcano for an afternoon's blasting. I have bought S&B and Portugese 6.5x55 ammo online for about 6-9 dollars a box of 20...thats on par with 30-06, 270, 7mm and 30-30 hunting fodder...not really off the charts.

Buy a cheapo SKS if you want cheap all afternoon blasting, but keep the Swede for its quality, accuracy and shoot it less often. I certainly would NOT sell it. The Swedish Mauser is a special rifle...you should cherish it...but that is just my opinion.

-Brickboy240

5. ken_mays

ken_mays XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's why I qualified my estimate with the "depending on condition" phrase. I've seen some M96's go for under $200 lately. I figure a decent all-matching example would bring $250 easily, maybe more if you find just the right buyer.

6. mr0w1

mr0w1 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would take heed to Brickboy's advice, and consider it well. Whenever one of those "Guns I wish I hadn't sold" threads come up, I fairly regularly see Swede's listed. I imagine that if you did sell it, you'd probably wish you hadn't. And as BB said, the ammo isn't that expensive and hard to find. There are much odder rounds to try to find...

Anyway, just my opinion; but then again, I'm just the kind of person that can't sell a gun...

7. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    Yes...take a close look at that rifle...the machining...the fit and finish. Come on man, they haven't made rifles like that in a long time (ones you can afford, anyways).

Besides, what are you going to buy with the dough? Another plastic, flat black whiz-bang gun? Big deal. Those are everywhere and theres nothing special about them at all. The M-96 Mauser was a marvel of technology back then and a monument to expert Swede craftsmanship. You won't find too many new rifles that will shoot that well, even if you spent three times what you payed for the M96.

Then, theres that great caliber. The 6.5x55 is pleasant, accurate and a great all around game round for everything but maybe elk, moose and bears. I have dropped all sort of critters with the 6.5 Swede - it kills wild pigs and whitetails like lightning. Coyotes and smaller varmints too.

You know, they'll never make rifles like that again. Keep it...you'll be sorry later, after you let it go. The M96 Swede Mauser is a classic that will never lose its value or appeal to anyone that likes well built firearms.

-Brickboy240

8. beardman2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Trust me about 5 minutes later I started changing my mind. I'm one of those guys who would never sell tools or cars. I flirted with the idea of a gun but yeah I don't know. It's part of the family.

I actually found a scope mount that attaches to the rear sight so I wouldn't have to mess anything up. Maybe I could fashon up a nice bipod and have a really neat long range gun.

I'm really not thinking I'll sell it. It was kind of a "I could join the gun club and buy an SKS" idea. I think I'll use my Birthday money instead :)

I didn't see any ammo for under 10 a box of 20. I guess I need to do some more searching.

9. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I sold my 1940 M38 sweed and sure wish I had that beauty back. Dont sell it you will regret it.

10. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    I actually used my 1905 M-96 Long Rifle in a high power rifle match, to qualify for the CMP's Garand program. We shot everything at 200yds (simulated 600yd targets).

You'd be surprised at how good those open sights and 1970s Swede surplus ammo faired against the more modern rifles. Of course, most of the hopped up AR-15s beat me by a long shot, but I beat several Garand shooters and tied one guy using an M-1A.

The Swede M-96 didn ot let me down one bit. I fumbled a bit while shooting the rapid fire set, because I was not used to speed loading with stripper clips, but otherwise the ol' Swede did quite well.

Actually, if you reload, theres little you cannot do with the 6.5x55. There are 77gr soft points for varminting and all sorts of spitzers right up to a 156gr round nosed soft point that works well on big hogs.

Up until not long ago, the Swedes still used target rifles for international competition that were built on M96 actions. Obviously, the cartridge and rifle are up to the task.

I have to admit to being a 6.5x55 addict for a long time. The more you shoot that round, the more you love it.

-Brickboy240

11. beardman2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    uh oh... I just looked at remingtons ballistics comparison section on their site.

Energy at 500 yards:
    6.5x55 850 ft/lbs
    30-06 876
    308 810

drop at 500 yards
    6.5x55 -57.8
    30-06 -50.9
    308 -54.8

So more energy and only slightly more drop than a 308!? Yeah um I changed my mind. I've been kind of dreaming about a cool 308 setup. Man I have good taste! :) Bought this gun about 10 years ago and have only shot it once. Going to have to see how hard it would be to adapt a bipod without changing anything... Might be time to break out dads old rock chucker as well...

12. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    You need to go here.

http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/

Pay special attention to the "scout scope project" pages...very interesting.

This guy is the guru and you will learn more than you ever wish to know about the Swedish Mausers. After a quick browse...you'll never want to sell it.

I have three..if they weren't so expensive and difficult to find (really nice ones)...I'd buy three more. The rifle and the round it shoots are fantastic.

A few years ago, Kimber sporterized several thousand M-96s by putting them in synthetic stocks, shortening the barrels and target crowning them and mounting scopes and lo-mount safties. They were cheap and very well done pieces. You might get lucky and find one around for cheap and it would make a good long range shooter that would easliy take my Harris bi-pod and a high quality scope.

-Brickboy240