what is "discrete paypal"?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Jumbo, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jumbo

Jumbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Is it just using paypal and not saying what it's for (ie firearm related)? I've seen several of these in the wtt/wts/wtb sections and have never heard of it.

just curious.

2. XDConvert9mm

XDConvert9mm XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0
    Usually it's just a name on the transaction that would not lead you to the subject. IE: AR15 Firearms=ARF Corporation.

3. TacoMalo

TacoMalo Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Paypal is anti-gun so the short story is anything firearm related flags their system and locks out your account. Best way to use paypal discretely is generic and no descriptions, at least that's what I've heard... :wink:

4. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Basically keep your trap shut when dealing with anything gun related. I wouldn't even bother with any clever names eluding to what is being sold. I just leave the message blank if I can.

I've seen more then a few people have their accounts locked for gun related business.

5. rrent

rrent XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if the evil g-u-n word is used paypal will not only lock your account permanently --- but keep any funds in the account for 180 days......:(

happen to me ---luckily my balance was a big fat zero dollars

6. Yuppicide

Yuppicide XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
  7. Blargh23

Blargh23 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    gunbroker.com

Jus' sayin'.

8. gunnewb

gunnewb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    A better plan might be to just boycott paypal all together. Armed with the knowledge that paypal is anti-gun, along with the information at paypalsucks.com I will no longer be using paypal, and am closing my account as soon as I get done typing this message.

9. JhankG

JhankG XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

It is a nice thought, but most would rather use paypal than getting a money order and mailing it. I just don't want to wait for that most of the time. If it is a personal transaction where the other person can't just charge my credit card, paypal seems to be the only other viable option that is quick and easy.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  10. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    I use and will continue to use PayPal.
    In the world of sue anyone for anything, it is no wonder they have the policies that they have.
    I buy gun related items on eBay (yes eBay) quite often, and pay for them with PayPal.
    OH MY GOD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:rolleyes:
    Using PayPal for anything isn't that hard, just use common sense, if you have any..:confused:
    When yall find a safe PayPal type service for gun lovers, let me know..:roll:

11. gpbarth

gpbarth XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I could fill a book myself with my PayPal experiences. I thought PayPal would be cheaper than a credit card system, but I was wrong. I am in the process of dumping PayPal, and would advise anyone thinking of going with them to re-consider. :evil:

If you pay with PayPal, you may be happy, but if you sell with PayPal, be aware of the other stories up here and on the anti-PayPal site. The first time someone disputes a charge to you, you will find out how nice PayPal is...and I hope it's not a big purchase, or your money will be tied up for a L-O-N-G time. With continued threats from PayPal to pay up or else. You will have to pay the entire cost, plus a service charge that is non-refundable, until PayPal gets the mess cleared up. One charge made to my account in September is still in limbo, and I have had to pay all of the money to PayPal up front or risk a collection agency.

Use at your own risk.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. Ride the Lightning

Ride the Lightning XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In addition to all the other crap with paypal, starting 10 Jan 09 it will be the only way you are allowed to pay for ebay purchases. I guess my ebay days are over. I don't like ebay in the first place, but when it's usually the only place I can find what I'm looking for I have to use it.

13. daveIT

daveIT XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Used them to buy holsters, magazines before with no ill effects...

14. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    While we're ranting, I'll chime in! My issue isn't with PayPal, though. It's with all of the people who say "I'll take PayPal if you add XX%."

I understand that accepting PayPal payments incurrs a fee, but according to PayPal's terms of service, charging a "surcharge" for PayPal payments is grounds for getting your account suspended.

15. Pugs

Pugs XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This link caused AVG to throw this warning at me:

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

For folks who have visited that page, is it safe?

16. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    You will find that lots of peer-directed antivirus/security applications are misused by folks.

All it takes is a Paypal employee submitting a complaint about that site to whoever keeps Avasts' database to have it listed as "bad' (even though there's nothing "bad" about it [except in exposing Paypal]).

17. 2wheels

2wheels XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I sold a handful of things a year or so ago, to the tune of $3000. One of the items sold was a ACOG, I told the buyer I would throw in a box of ammo for free since I didnt own that caliper anymore, in the message box buyer stated "thanks of the ammo". Paypal proceeded to close my account and hold onto a little over 3 grand for 180 day's even though there were no TOS violations in the transactions. Simply the word ammo in the box was enough.

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT DISCRETE PAYPAL!!!!!!!

18. Loves2Shoot

Loves2Shoot Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    If you are accepting a PayPal payment, I would suggest always sending them an invoice and not relying on the payer to use their brain.