What exactly does it take to run for president

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by tinctorus, Jul 22, 2010.

1. tinctorus

tinctorus XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Say the average jow schmoe like me or you or any other regular blue collar person wanted to run for president, What all would it take to get your name on the ballot??

Do you need to be a mayor,governor or some other life long politician or can you run as a "third party" not associating yourself as a republican or democrat??

I am obviously a Republican but me and my coworker were talking about this today and I really didnt have an answer for him, I assume anyone can run for office but really dont know

2. iDominate

iDominate XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How to Run for President of the United States

<!-- google_ad_section_end() -->[​IMG]Member
    <CITE itxtvisited="1">By johnboyanoski, eHow Member </CITE><LABEL itxtvisited="1">Article Rating:</LABEL> <INPUT id=2165709_1 onmouseover=ratingsOver(2165709,1) onmouseout="ratingsOut(2165709, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)" onclick="return rA(2165709, 1)" src="http://i.ehowcdn.com/images/stars/star-1-2.gif" type=image><INPUT id=2165709_2 onmouseover=ratingsOver(2165709,2) onmouseout="ratingsOut(2165709, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)" onclick="return rA(2165709, 2)" src="http://i.ehowcdn.com/images/stars/star-1-2.gif" type=image><INPUT id=2165709_3 onmouseover=ratingsOver(2165709,3) onmouseout="ratingsOut(2165709, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)" onclick="return rA(2165709, 3)" src="http://i.ehowcdn.com/images/stars/star-1-0.gif" type=image><INPUT id=2165709_4 onmouseover=ratingsOver(2165709,4) onmouseout="ratingsOut(2165709, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)" onclick="return rA(2165709, 4)" src="http://i.ehowcdn.com/images/stars/star-1-0.gif" type=image><INPUT id=2165709_5 onmouseover=ratingsOver(2165709,5) onmouseout="ratingsOut(2165709, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0)" onclick="return rA(2165709, 5)" src="http://i.ehowcdn.com/images/stars/star-1-0.gif" type=image> (18 Ratings)
    <IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 100px; HEIGHT: 30px; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ehow.com%2fhow_2165709_run-president-united-states.html&layout=button_count&show_faces=false&width=100&action=like&colorscheme=light" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>

I want to do this! What's This?

[​IMG] Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee on the 2008 campaign trail
    How to Run for President of the United States

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery(document).ready(function(){ jQuery('.intro .thumbnail a:first').attr('href','http://i.ehow.com/images/a02/22/ud/run-president-united-states-800X800.jpg'); }); </SCRIPT>
    <!-- google_ad_section_start() -->No, this is not an article about an open call for the 1990s rock band looking for new members. This about how, and why, dozens of Americans get the itch every 4 years to try and get a permanent seat in the Oval Office at the White House. More than 20 people filed for that chance in 2008, but most dropped out before the first official ballot was cast. Why? Because they didn't know how to run their campaigns.
    <!-- google_ad_section_end() -->

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery('.intro .thumbnail').each(function(i,e){ jQuery(e).find('img').one('error',function(){ jQuery(e).remove(); }); }); </SCRIPT>
    Difficulty: Challenging
    Instructions

<!-- google_ad_section_start() -->Things You'll Need:

• Money
    • Political standing
    • A strong organization
    • Dark suits
    • A clever slogan
    1. Step 1
      See if people outside of your home state know who you are. Many times a state governor, senator or congressman mistakes the adoration they get locally as a sign of national adoration; it's not necessarily so.
    2. Step 2
      If you feel people know who are you outside of your own state, start calling up political leaders in key early primary states such as Iowa, South Carolina and New Hampshire. Get down their way before you announce so you can give speeches and attend political rallies.
    3. Step 3
      Evade questions from the press about what you are doing. Tell them you are visiting these state to help fellow party members.
    4. Step 4
      Declare your candidacy, and immediately start a tour of the early primary states. No longer evade the press.
    5. Step 5
      Begin building your political team on a national level (such as a campaign manager, political manager, strategist, spokesman and other staff). Look for people in the key primary states, and build similar staffs there. Look for a mix of fresh talent combined with veteran campaigners.
    6. Step 6
      Talk to the press as much as possible in the next few months to raise awareness of the campaign.
    7. Step 7
      Raise money. Keep raising money. And when you are done doing that, raise more money. The 2008 presidential likely will go over $1 billion in funds raised.
    8. Step 8
      Start creating television and radio ads. Your ads should focus on your accomplishments. However, as the race drags on, you will be tempted to start "attack" ads against your opponents. That will be a tough call.
    9. Step 9
      Make as many campaign stops as possible. Focus on the early primary states as well as the states such as Florida, New York and California that are major fundraisers.
    <!-- google_ad_section_end() -->
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery('.article ol .image').each(function(i,e){ var $this = jQuery(this); $this.find('img').error(function(){ jQuery(this).remove(); $this.remove(); }); }); </SCRIPT>

Read more: How to Run for President of the United States | eHow.com How to Run for President of the United States | eHow.com

I guess it just takes alot of fundraising and getting your face out there.

3. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone can run for office. There are no requirements. Just look at who is in there now.

If you are running under a party, you would need to win that party's nomination in the primaries.

If you want to get your name on the ballot as a third party candidate or a true independent, you need to get signatures of registered voters in each state. Each state has different requirements as to the exact number. Count on needing close to a million signatures nationwide and paying filing fees in most, of not all, of the 50 states. This is not an easy task. It will take a lot, and I mean a LOT of money. Even Nader could not pull it off in all 50 states in 2000.

4. Reverenddel

Reverenddel XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You better have NOTHING in your closet my brotha!

Campaigns have swaths of interns, and others, looking for every piece of dirt you can imagine to smear their opponents.

I would enjoy the refreshing retort of a candidate that says "Did I cheat on my first wife? YOU BET I DID! Have ya' ever spoken with her at length? Try LIVING WITH HER! (shakes head-walks away- Has my vote)".

5. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    If you meet the min qualifications and qualify by paying the filing fee you should be able to.

6. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It really is a lot more complicated than that.

Depends on what you mean by "min qualifications."

Here is what is required to get on the ballot in North Carolina. There are 49 other states with hoops you have to jump through.

7. landyacht302

landyacht302 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You must be a natual born citizen..... oh wait nevermind

8. MrBoxx

MrBoxx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First you get a rich oil-baron daddy who used to be a president... then you get your brother to be the governor of a key electoral state..... the rest is easy.

9. Ocean82

Ocean82 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Q: How do I run for president?

A: Make enough empty promises to get voted into office.

10. FlyerAce128

FlyerAce128 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Offer free money to everybody

11. XD.45 Dude

XD.45 Dude XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We found out you don't have to be born in the USA and forged birth certificates work!

12. tinctorus

tinctorus XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I figured I wouldnt be able to run due to not having enough money and/or political ties, It was mainly a question of WHAT WOULD it take..Although dont get me wrong I would LOOOOOVE to run for president and think I could make a change

13. jrev04

jrev04 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    fees, buying out politions, big companies...yada yada.

no ordinary citizen can become president.

14. DHusker

DHusker XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You must have a lot of money, have access to a lot money from special interest groups, and be willing to spend a bunch of money that isn't yours.

15. primeduck

primeduck XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From what I can tell, a person has to be completely oblivious to the needs, rights, & wants of the PEOPLE, and totally committed to the wants, ways, & desires of the PARTY.

Whatever happened to:
    "Of the People, By the people, For the people"?