What are the first items to go in a SHTF/disaster scenario?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Red Leader, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Red Leader

Red Leader XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm always trying to think ahead but always feeling like I'm not quite getting there:lol:

In any case, I started thinking about disaster/emergency situations, you know, where you see all the bare shelves at the stores and the frustration of not being able to find what you need, when you need it. Therefore, I'm always trying to predict what will be in demand in an emergency...better to have than to have not.

When facing an inevitable disaster, people go crazy and start panic buying supplies and stuff. So my question is:

What things are the very first to go?

These items would have high commodity value and be very good to have in case of emergency. Some of the first ones to come to mind are:

1. Ammo - duh
    2. Water
    3. Fuel
    4. Batteries
    5. ???

Here is a link to an interesting article I found describing what items people tend to hoard in a disaster...check it out:

Items to Hoard Preparedness Pro

One interesting thing on that list that I hadn't thought of was vitamins...with the author indicating that they can be crucial when food supplies are low.

So maybe you guys can help me answer the questions...what items have you noticed are the first to fly off the shelves in a disaster? If that disaster ever comes I want to be able to say 'no prob, already got that'.:mrgreen:

2. GreenBayShooter

GreenBayShooter XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0
    Your #1 Ammo is no good without guns on the list right behind it...
    But you can make up a list and a Bug-out-bag all you want. I guarantee there will be a lot of things you have forgotten and a ton of extra stuff you have but don't need. My point being, you just don't really KNOW what you will need, it depends so much on the actual circumstances...

You have to keep in mind, always, that you will have two options - 1) stay and tough it out, or 2) mobilize. That said, you really need two SHTF preparations - one for mobility and one (larger version) for staying put...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  3. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Gasoline

that will give you the coice to stay or go.

Salt
    preserves food. hard to find if you not near a mine or a salty body of water.

sugar/chocolate/coffee other "tropical" food that everyone will want.
    Tobaco

even if you aren't a fan, good for barter.

batteries - no need to explain.

Bullets will always be availiable. people have them stored up, even if you don't, and they don't go bad.

a good bow and arrows might be better for hunting and stealth if it gets real dangerous.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  4. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Very true!

I've tried to keep it limited to things that don't rely on complicate technology, and provided the basics ... i.e. food, water, shelter, protection/defense.

My bugout bag just has enough to keep me going for about a month ... i.e. long enough to reach safety and stability.

Bugout bag has food, water, tools to make fire and shelter, first aid kit, ammo. I also have specific guns to carry. The bag's weight is less than 50lbs. The gun weighs less than 10lbs. Also have some sturdy boots and clothing. This is in case I end up on foot.

I'm still working on the "hunker down" preparedness, but have food, water, and ammo, heat resources and fuel (for winter) stockpiled to last at least 1 month right now. I'm working on getting enough together to last for longer periods.

Bottom line ... you can't stockpile enough to last forever. So, you better also have somewhere to go or be that will provide a stable environment conducive to survival.Whether that be a government run shelter, family farm, cabin in the woods, fortress in the city, or whatever.

Also, unless an asteroid hits, order will eventually be restored. Whether it takes days, months, or years is the problem, and you better have enough wits about you to be flexible and able to adjust to circumstances...

5. thelongone13

thelongone13 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The first things to go WAY up in price are all pictured here...

[​IMG]

Yes, I am that big of a loser to take the Alcohol (note can is unopened lol), tobacco, and firearms pic...

6. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    What are the first items to go in a SHTF/disaster scenario?

RULES

7. dkbikes4life4130

dkbikes4life4130 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I am currently stockpiling food. I live in Orlando and was here when Charley hit us. We were without power for 2 weeks and you could barely find food at any stores. We wated in line for over an hour at Burger King almost every day for about a week untill the stores started getting more stuff in. I want to have at least a 2 week supply of food so once I run out, things should start going back to normal.

For me, I plan on staying put at the house for most every situation except if we have a huge hurricane comming or martial law is declared. My GF has a big family (brothers,sister) and has already told me she would rather stay and die with them than to leave them. So if I leave, I am leaving with a total of 13 other people at minimum. I am not leaving her either so I pretty much have to just tuff out anything that happens at home. I am, like everyone else, stockpiling ammo also to defend the house incase of lutters.

8. benhar

benhar XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So, you're thinking Belkin routers will be a hot commodity? :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist. As far as the alcohol, there is a beer distribution center literally right down the road from my house. Don't think I haven't considered that for Zombie shelter!

9. ncwolf84

ncwolf84 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lived in Florida during the huricane season prior to Katrina. We had 4 stroms hit that year Beer always sold out before gasoline and batteries

10. dkbikes4life4130

dkbikes4life4130 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yep. I dont drink but I noticed it also. Its because everyone was playing hurricane drinking games and taking drinks anytime someone on the radio or TV said "hunker down". I swear I never want to hear that phrase again:twisted:.

11. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Looking at that list, I only see one item I would change.

A cook stove ... Screw that propane crap.
    Get a multi-fuel stove that will operate on white gas, gasoline, and kerosene.

Find one of these, or something like it ;)
    Coleman / exponent Multi-Fuel Stove 550B725[​IMG]

Coleman - Multi-Fuel Stove -

Operates on ... ColemanĀ® liquid fuel, unleaded gasoline, or kerosene

They are on Ebay all the time for about $30 ... Buy 2 or 3 !!

12. Water-Man

Water-Man XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Money!!!!!

13. community

community XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    Cans and cans of baked beans. cant get enough.

14. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I think you have a good start, it depends on the emergency. Think out each situation, really imagine it actually happening. RIGHT NOW you look out the window and see a bright flash, what would you do? "Oh I meant to have a Get Home Bag...Oh I meant to put water in the car....Oh I meant to buy X-Y-Z" Too Late!!!

If it is something like a natural weather disaster people see coming often generators and emergency weather radios fly off the shelves. Something you would not think of....extension cords. I read a report from a guy who rode out Hurricane Katrina and he said for weeks after he couldn't get one of those.

Bioterrorism would cause Home Depot to be out of plastic sheets and duct tape to cover windows. Look how fast it sold out in about 2003 when the director of homeland security (I think Tom Ridge at the time) said people ought to have some on hand to seal up there homes. They later retracted it after people paniced.

Related to bioterrorism a flu pandemic as we almost faced and might still face with Swine flu which caused protective masks to sell out in some places. Stuff like this you should buy now!

I just this week finally got around to buying large durable water storage containers...AND filled them.

This all costs money but if you buy a little at a time based off a prioritized list you'll get there in no time.

15. Red Leader

Red Leader XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yep something like that is a good idea...and I was thinking of one of those coleman multifuel lanterns to go with the system. There are several difference power sources to choose from...the main 3 being fuel, propane, and electric. Electric is out, because it requires (most of the time) the grid, propane may not be as available (and apparently those canisters sell out quick as well) as well as inefficient, but if you can use the white gas found in stores/siphon gas from a vehicle, that opens up the options quite a bit.

Do you guys find those giant water containers somewhere specific? I asssume your talking about the hard plastic ones? I've got a few collapsable ones for my mobile kit.

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. Seems like that old addage with guns applies here as well..."the best SHTF kit is the one that you have on you/can grab at the time"