What .22lr AR rifles use a standard lower?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by tjNOVA, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tjNOVA

tjNOVA XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi! I'm new to ARs - I'd like to purchase a .22lr AR, and I was thinking it would be great and cost effective if I could buy a complete .22lr AR that I could later convert to .223/5.56, either with a new upper, or (even better) by replacing the BCG and magazines.

I shot a S&W M&P 15-22 yesterday and loved it, but I know these don't accept standard AR uppers. I would be using it as a .22 for cheap/fun plinking/range shooting, and to get my wife into shooting (she shoots my 9mm XD(m), but is a little intimidated by the recoil). My local range does not allow rifle calibers. I would use 5.56 for range shooting and 3gun. If I got the 5.56 and decided I loved it, I'd probably build a higher quality rifle in the future.

My questions:
    Is there a complete rifle similar to the M&P 15-22 (hopefully in that price range) which I could later convert to .223/5.56 by replacing the BCG/magazine, similar to how you would convert a .223/5.56 to fire .22lr?

Is there a complete rifle similar to the M&P 15-22 (hopefully in that price range) that I could later convert to a .223/5.56 by replacing the upper/magazine?

Is this whole idea dumb? Would I be better off buying the .22 AR now, and a totally different .223/5.56 rifle later? If so, why?

Please be patient if I asked a completely ridiculous question (I'm really new to ARs)! Thank you for your help!

2. JesseeS

JesseeS XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm new to AR's as well, but i feel it would be easier to get a 5.56/.223 and buy the conversion kit for it, so it's just a simple bcg change. That's what I did atleast. Might also be less costly to go that route

3. RedRyder

RedRyder XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depending on your budget buying a rifle and conversion kit would provide a more versatile platform . Plus a decent AR15 in 223/5.56 has never been cheaper ( M&P sport , DPMS both have rifles in the 600 range if you look around ) then add an upper or conversion kit from CMMG.

4. BrewGuyTim

BrewGuyTim XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was given a full .22lr CMMG AR and later (like a couple months) bought the .223/5.56 upper. The CMMG .22lr ran about $700 or so, the .223/5.56 upper ran me about $425 (with a couple upgrades).

I like having the dedicated .22lr upper. Allows me to keep that setup in tact, while moving back and forth. I've hard good and bad things about the conversion kits (more good than bad).

Just my $.02

5. tjNOVA

tjNOVA XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the responses so far!

Clarification:

I was thinking about buying a complete .22lr AR (with standard lower) first because of the lower initial cost. I could afford to own something like a M&P 15-22 much sooner, and I'd probably get much more use and fun out of the .22 because my range doesn't allow rifle calibers (plus cheap ammo).

So does anyone know of a $500 or less complete .22lr AR that uses standard lowers?
    That way, I could go back and buy a 5.56 upper and magazine later, and have both.
    Later still, I could buy another lower and then have both as complete rifles. I am really looking for a way to spread out my purchases in stages.

I have looked into buying and building, but the prices don't really work:
    $100 - lower
    $125 - lower parts kit, buffer, stock
    $300 - 5.56 upper, minus BCG
    $150 - .22lr BCG and magazine
    ------------------------------equals---
    $675 to build a .22lr AR, versus approx. $400 for an M&P 15-22 or Umarex .22.

I have heard the Umarex .22 AR uses a standard lower, but I have also heard they are of poor quality, and the barrel is not suitable for changing the BCG to fire 5.56.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm way off on the prices to build a .22 AR?

Thanks for the help and feedback

**edit - it's the ATI VK-22 that uses standard AR lower, not the umarex. **

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. carbonman556

carbonman556 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The CMMG is the best 22lr that has a standard (mil spec) lower that will accept a 5.56 upper later...

7. onlyauto

onlyauto XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am with carbonman556. I see you can get a CMMG complete 22lr for $550. So keep your eyes open and you can find one on gunbroker. I want to get my hands on a couple of their new magazines with the steel feed lips.

8. williewvr

williewvr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I assembled a plum crazy/ cmmg 22 for under $500. Lower was $117 upper was $360 with 1 mag. Works great. I have on the flame suit so fire away.

9. Jackpot

Jackpot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Stag Arms AR15 .223/5.56 and I also have Spikes Tactical .22LR upper that works perfectly. All I do is swap uppers and use different magazines. Hope this helps.

Paul-K

10. 2pumpndump

2pumpndump XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im thinking about doing the same thing! I would grab a CMMG complete for $550 if I could ever find one! I did find a CMMG Quebec-A that was even cheaper but no one had them in stock nor any good info on them.

aside from the Plum Crazy lower there is also New Frontier Armory. They have a polymer complete lower for $99 (they say theirs is better then Plum Crazy) and they also have a forged aluminum for $199 both mil spec.

I need to find a cheaper upper in .22 and im sold!

11. diverdman

diverdman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I know this is a late respond but a S&W M&P 15-22 cannot change upper recievers. Ive looked into it and it does not have a bolt buffer and the specs to change out the upper is to tight. Ive tried this at my work and it was a no go. SOrry bud

12. diverdman

diverdman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The M&P 15-22 cannot change out to a new 5.56 receiver, the specs are to tight not allowing a new receiver for a 5.56. Plus the 15-22 doesnt have a recoil buffer installed. I know this cause i work at a gun store and tried to do put a 5.56 receiver on the 15-22 and it doesnt work. Sorry bud for the late respond

13. diverdman

diverdman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sorry for the double post :(

14. saluki6589

saluki6589 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^+1 on the New Frontier lower!

I have the New Frontier lower ($99 from Upstate Armory on GB) and got the CMMG dedicated Evolution upper ($376) from Primary Arms. I've run close 3000 rds of 22LR through the combination without a hiccup. The lower FCG doesn't show signs of excessive wear. I have also used the New Frontier with one of my 5.56 uppers for about 350 rds. Same results...no hicupps and no signs of excessive wear. I especially like the CMMG upper because it functions as close as you can get to and actual AR action. Cleans up really easy too!

15. diverdman

diverdman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could alwasy buy a cheap sport model (no forward assit and no dust cover) and take the bolt out and use a CMMG 5.56/.223 conversion kit that has a .22lr bolt and a .22lr magazine. Cost bout 180 for it depending on store.

16. Verna317

Verna317 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    AR's as well, but i feel it would be easier to get a 5.56/.223 and buy the conversion kit for it, so it's just a simple bcg change. That's what I did atleast. Might also be less costly to go that route[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. TCS_XDM

TCS_XDM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This 22LR rifle will hold a normal upper. Of course its extremely expensive.

JP Rifles

18. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    If you do decide to go the M&P15-22 route...I can tell you from a year of heavily shooting mine that it is one great shooter. Reliable, trouble free and accurate.

-brickboy240

19. HTOWN stunna

HTOWN stunna XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    my dad bought me a ciener kit back in 05-06 and i used it in all my ars, recently i decided to purchase a dedicated barrel from midway, 90$ with the barrel collar included. slapped my ciener on the collar and bought a cracked upper from a buddy of mine for 20 bucks. so now i have a dedicated upper and can take the ciener bolt and slap on the chamber adapter and still use it on my 5.56/223 uppers also.

20. diverdman

diverdman XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing is, unless a .22lr AR is designed to take a .223/5.56 upper receiver, the internals of the .22 lower receiver can be comprimised due to the fact of a 5.56/.223 round is a extreme higher pressure chamber. So unless the manufacturer says that a .22 AR can accept a .223/5.56 upper receiver dont try it.