Springfield XD Forum banner

Wellll, it seems as if I made a boo boo...Scouring pad + Slide = No no

5K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Capuano 
#1 ·
So...I was using a bore snake and noticed that there was brass all over my slide from the brush...so I took a green sponge/scour pad and hit the slide with it a little, and now I have a noticeable area where it's...shinier? worn more? than the rest of the slide...

Anything I could do about this? I know I know...it's a gun, it's a tool...but I'm partly OCD about certain things. If I can't do anything about it...is this something I should be concerned about? Or should I just buy another one?

Side note: My wife, God bless her heart, saw how bummed out I was and says "So, just give me this one, and buy another one for yourself"...don't worry fellas, I'm holding on to her for dear life.

#3 ·
Stainless or black slide?

If stainless it may well be cleaner in that spot. Leave it alone, I would not scrub other to match.

Not sure if black

#4 ·
Black...it's not even that serious to be honest...Just pissed that I made a dumb mistake, I'm sure it's one of those "just leave it alone before you make it worse" kinda situations...I'll be over it tomorrow........I hope.

I attached a pic for those who want to see what I'm making a big fuss about.

Attachments

#5 ·
There were guys asking how to do that lol so they could paint or polish their slide

#6 ·
The rub behind loaded chamber indicator? Holster wear will do more than that in no time.

You should see the wear marks on my $3600 competition gun since the pic in avatar.

#7 ·
Touché...when my wife and I were in our CCW class, we didn't have a pistol for her (still don't, actually) so he let her use his Glock 27...I remember looking at it and thinking ..."dude, look at the sights, it looks like he dropped it on the sights!"

Haha, I'm so worried about the appearance of this thing, meanwhile I've put roughly 2K rounds through it, and I've had it JUST over a month.

I'm pretty much over it, I'm sure time will cause more wear than what's on it now...it's character, right? Thanks Cdn.

#11 ·
If it bothers you, send it out for a refinish, but it seems like you're over it now.

On the other hand, you could pout around for a little bit, give the Mrs sctatchy gun and go buy another one. I'm for that....I'd happily debase myself and ruin my stoic manly image if it frees up funds for a new gun.

Leave the green scrungies for the dirty pots.

#12 ·
Haha, yeah, I was thinking that...maybe buying another pistol is not such a bad idea...

As for being over it...I pretty much am, I figured I could always send it out to SA or the dude that Big Lou posted. Sometimes when stuff like this happens, it's almost a relief, because I don't have to baby it anymore.

#29 ·
Haha, I just sent him a message, he comes with some pretty high praise.

I wonder what kind of finish they use on the XD...some people say that the Melonite isn't an actual finish but a treatment...SA said that when they refinish, they use "Armorcoat"? maybe Armorkote? who knows...but either way, once I get another pistol (soon, since the wife doesn't mind), I'll have to send mine out. I don't want to be without it for weeks...let alone months.
It's just black oxide. Same stuff black impact sockets are finished off with. It's just there to give new gun appeal at the store. Do your own Youtube torture test on it and it won't matter anymore. I wouldn't refinish it but that's only my opinion.

#34 ·
If that (minor) blemish is still bothering you, and you want to fix it. I've had work done by Buster Beaver Design in Wilsonville, Oregon. They do Cerekoting. They can do plain, or get pretty wild - it's all up to you. Check out their gallery or their Facebook page, if you're interested.

Here's some examples of their work:

They do great work, if a little bit expensive. The owner took me on a mini-tour of the shop (and gun room) one day when I was in...lots of cool stuff going on there. Unfortunately, none of it is/was my stuff...I got a quote for a Sig slide and a set of aluminum grips, single color $300+...yowza.

#36 ·
Melonite, like Glock's tennifer finish, is pretty tough. What you basically did was sort of polish the finish on the gun. I have actually used a brass brush on the side of my slide and it did not scratch the finish on my XDM whatsoever. What you can do is take the same scour pad and do the rest of the slide... You will eventually get the same rub/polish marks from repeated holstering but I certainly understand your OCD since I struggle with it... That and perfectionism - both are horrible when together LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42 ·
Melonite, like Glock's tennifer finish, is pretty tough. What you basically did was sort of polish the finish on the gun. I have actually used a brass brush on the side of my slide and it did not scratch the finish on my XDM whatsoever. What you can do is take the same scour pad and do the rest of the slide... You will eventually get the same rub/polish marks from repeated holstering but I certainly understand your OCD since I struggle with it... That and perfectionism - both are horrible when together LOL
Haha, yeah, the OCD runs strong in my dad's side of the family, luckily with me, it's mild with me, but still there...

Honestly, once I looked at it more closely, I'm thinking you're right on the money, that it's just the top surface that's scratched, not the actual metal or anything. I thought about it some more and thoguht, "Dude it's not like you sandblasted the damn thing"...I'm pretty much going to leave it, but did think about going over the whole slide...but decided against it for now...at least not until I get my Mod.2 Tactical....or maybe the Service. This is what I used, btw.

That especially sucks about the 1911, but like you said, you live and you learn...

I use those in my regular work job. DON'T USE AGAIN !! Scour pads will take the finish off anything . There is nothing you can do about it now except have a gun Smith possibly brush it out. Problem is when the coating is gone you have to watch out for corrosion and or rust. Keep it cleaned and oiled is all you can do now.
So...after I "scratched" the slide...I decided to take it apart...as I was taking the chamber indicator pin out...I noticed the top of the hole was silver....I thought "Must be grease"....nope, chipped the metal at the top of the hole....go figure. Now I REALLY have to watch for corrosion. I'm appreciating the lifetime warranty more than ever....unless of course it's not covered....

#37 ·
Oil the slide wipe off with rag.

If still there and you really care brownels.com and buy a bottle of cold blue. I wouldn't bother you'll be getting more nicks soon.

Don't send it off that's asinine

#38 ·
Seriously if you haven't spent the money to get the wife the gun of her choice and you spend money on cosmetics... You don't deserve her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.