Weird Glock jam

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by dragon281tx, Nov 25, 2009.

1. dragon281tx

dragon281tx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with this situation. I posted this on glocktalk but didn't get the answers I needed. I'm hoping the good ppl of XDtalk would know what happened.
    My wife was shooting my G19. With one trigger pull, a round fired and ejected fine while another round separated from the casing and fell to the left side of the gun. The brass "stovepiped" inside the gun while the bullet itself fell out onto the floor. It was not a normal stovepipe where it is halfway sticking out. It was stuck on the feeding ramp in a stovepipe position. Something sprayed my wife's face when it jammed. I'm guessing it was gun powder because when I cleared the gun, there were unfired gun powder all over the inside of my gun. Fortunately, I had the incident on tape. It happened 18 seconds into the video. You can clearly see the first bullet hitting the target and the brass ejecting fine, but the second round fell to the left side of the gun while the brass from the first round ejected to the right. Check it out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9SViVCUx0"]YouTube - Jam?[/ame]

I'm guessing I got a bad batch of ammo (Federal Champion 115 FMJ) but I'm not too sure about that. I'm really hoping it's not the gun. Any ideas to what may have caused it? Maybe it was a dud?

Here is a pic of the round that fell out of its' casing. It looks like some of the tip broke off slant-wise. Any clues to what may have happened? Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

P.S. plz no glock haters. I need honest opinions. Thanks in advance.

2. FrankC

FrankC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would look the gun over carefully to be sure but I am guessing bad ammo.

3. Old Hick

Old Hick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would guess, and just a guess, that it is bad ammo, a loose casing, and it caught and shaved itself on the feed ramp as it was loading, hence the angled shave on the bullet.
    Again, just my guess...

Stay Safe.

4. leeindy

leeindy XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    looks to me like ammo. glock 19s are probably the best 9mm ever made and it is rare... very rare for them to mess up like that. id blame the ammo and if it happens again then get worried.

5. Bluto

Bluto XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My guess would be that the bullet itself was not set in the casing correctly and loosened up by the recoil of the previous round. Then when it was trying to be chambered came apart when it hit the feed ramp cuasing it to hit a shave the end of the round down on the top of the breach. Very strange and I've never seen that happen before so I'd also say it was just a matter of a bad round.
    I'm guessing that the Mag was fine.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. kenneth

kenneth XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    what there is a bullet in that pic? all i see is the huge imac. nice im on a unibody macbook pro.

7. Reverenddel

Reverenddel XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bad Ammo my friend! G19 are a better weapon than some would admit.

8. dragon281tx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanx for the replies. That's what I wanted to hear. That it's the bullet and not my gun. Just had to make sure.
    Man now I gotta check my feeding ramp to see if shaving the bullet did something to it. I highly doubt it though since glock barrels are one of the hardest and most durable in the world. Still, gotta make sure. I'm very anal when it comes to my toys =P

9. dragon281tx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mac rules!

10. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Bad round...interesting. Definitely do a tear-down and inspection, but I'd be surprised if anything got damaged.

Contact Federal/ATK, give them the info.

11. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    bad round had it happen in my sig P6 with a speer gold dot 115 gr, but that was from it being my chamber round and unloading/loading probably 40-50 times.

Get the gunpowder out of your glock totally or you might get burned.

12. thelongone13

thelongone13 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Odd, but my first thought was the bullet was loose in the casing.

13. KingArthur

KingArthur XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    Recently with a Sig, I was in the middle of target shooting for speed. The round was bad and the shell casing refused to eject. I kept my eye on the target and racked that slide until the sucker came out. I bent the crap out of the brass, but I cleared that jam quickly.

Weapons malfunctions, especially, for those of you that carry should be a consideration, and how to clear them. Sometimes it is as easy as working the slide, or locking it to the rear and removing the magazine (for double feed's for example). Because, when the bullets are whizzing at you, your fight or flight reflext will take over, and you will be left with gross motor functions rather than fine motor skills.

If you already have in place "muscle memory" on how to clear a jam or correct the malfunction, it may just save your life.

14. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    amen <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfyULpEhmug&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfyULpEhmug&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. dragon281tx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just did a detail strip on my glock and everything looked good. No wears or tears.