Weapon lights/laser...Whats the best/brightest?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by nos kia, Aug 29, 2008.

1. nos kia

nos kia XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you have a weapon light, post up your review here.
    I am looking for a green laser and a weapon light and need some knolegable reviews on some of the brand names and no-name brands as well.

I have heard that ebay is a good place to look for both. Im looking for the following.

-Green lasers
    -I/R lasers
    -Tactical lights with over 120 lumens.

Please post up pictures on and off your weapon/videos if you have them.
    Thanks
    -NOS

2. mvician

mvician XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0
  3. phatjohn

phatjohn XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Surefire M-500A Weapon Light, comes with two lamp assemblies, 1 kinda low powered, the other one is a Hi Output retina burner. Also, unless you know EXACTLY what you are buying stay far away from E-bay, most AR accessories there are cheap Air-Soft made in China garbage.

4. jpainter187

jpainter187 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm not necessarily saying these two are the very best out there, but they're damn close (in my personal opinion).

Okay here we go...

First is a Hellfighter Underboss by Dark Ops. 130 lumens L.E.D. fixed beam, light/laser combo. Has a push button for momentary on or constant and also includes a coiled remote pressure switch.

Second is a Insight M6. Produces 90 lumens with an adjustable beam, but is not L.E.D., so the run-time isn't nearly as good as the Underboss.

The Underboss is on the left in the outside light and light/laser comparison pictures, and is the top in the laser comparison picture. Size comparison pictures it is on the right (bigger one).

As far as the light goes, two thumps up to the Underboss. The laser diamiter appears to be a tad bit smaller, but it may just be because the M6 produces a bunch of fussiness around the beam when on a target and the Underboss does not. The Underboss mounting system is not as speedy as the M6 because it uses a screw which has to be tighted in order to stay zeroed. One thing I do like a lot more is the rocker switch compared to the Underboss' push button which requires you to use your left thumb (if your a right handed shooter). But, I guess that's why they include an additional remote pressure switch, and the plug-in is already integrated into the back plate. To get a remote pressure switch for the M6 you have to buy an additional backplate which is VERY pricey! The Underboss is a bit heavier, mainly because its bezel is made out of aluminum and is also somewhat larger than the M6. But it kind of comes down to personal preferance. Underboss L.E.D. w/ included remote pressure switch = $169.95, & Insight M6 (non-L.E.D.) is in the $175-200 range.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jpainter187

jpainter187 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Underboss is for sale and BNIP if interested. Only taken out of the package to do this little review. Its never been used and includes blank warranty card!

6. raymond2009

raymond2009 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You mean you're to make a laser dazzler that causes temporary blindness? Most people will choose a green laser pointer, 50-200mw, certainly the higher the power, the more dangerous. But as far as the burning power is concerned, I think the red laser or violet blue laser is much easier to gather its peak power via its focus adjustable function. The 120mw violet blue laser pointer I bought seems to be more powerful than the 150mw green laser pointer in burning things though the latter seems to much more bright in daylight or dark conditions.

I got a quality 200mw red laser(the waterproof series), 150mw green laser and 120mw violet blue laser from LaserPointerPen.Net . The lasers are awesome, very small-sized and solid. Cost-effective enough.
    [​IMG]

Don't go to ebay, and i was scammed more than twice when i bought my first 405nm laserS and green laser pens. The beam is TOO unstable and cannot last long. They're really "cheap" in cost and QUALITY. Even the goggles are crap.

7. Motobuddy

Motobuddy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    On a budget two of the best products I have tested for the price are the CAATLL Laser Light was way better then anything coming out of leapers.

http://feararmory.com/store/images/fearart/WebImages/_C/_CAA/CAATLL_1.jpg

For a visible green laser price vs quality this is one of my top picks I have been meaning to do a review on it, maybe it will happen over holiday brake. Good Viability during the day at 100 yards and they claim up to 1 mile in low light.

http://feararmory.com/store/images/fearart/WebImages/_L/_LaserLyte/LLK-15_1.jpg

8. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Before you spend you hard earned cash on a flashlight:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfQ3Ghbn1R4&feature=PlayList&p=C91DA004D1100E2D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2]YouTube - "Shedding Some Light" on Lighting Technologies[/ame]

Fenix LD20:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwWjpZSCmc]YouTube - Fenix LD20: Everything Torch Improved![/ame]

Fenix lights rock:
    Fenix Flashlight

I have each of these:
    TK10
    Fenix Flashlight TK10 Black (225 Lumens)
    Features:
    • Cree Premium (Q5) 7090 XR-E LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours
    • Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel (Patented):
    • Turbo Mode: Constant 225 Lumens, 1.5 hours
    • General Mode: Constant 60 Lumens, 10 hours
    • Highly efficient focusing head - throws beam over 200 meters
    • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
    • Low battery indication system
    • Uses two 3V CR123A lithium batteries
    • Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
    • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
    • Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
    • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
    • Tactical tailcap switch with momentary-on function
    • Tactical grip ring for Cigar technique (Removable)

L2D - I like this one cause it uses 2AA batteries, check out its performance:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbWzhRB9_9Y]YouTube - Fenix L2D: The Everything Torch[/ame]

Fenix Flashlight L2D Q5 Black (180 Lumens)

• Utilizes a Premium (Q5) Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
    • Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented)
    • General Mode: 12 lumens (55hrs) -> 53 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
    • Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe
    • Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
    • Uses two 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) batteries, inexpensive and widely available
    • Made of aircraft grade aluminum
    • Durable Type III hard anodized finish
    • Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
    • Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
    • Push-button tail cap switch
    • Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
    • Includes a holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot

Dimension: 5.8 in(L) x 0.8 in(D) or 14.7cm(L) x 2.1cm(D)
    Weight: 2.24oz or 56g

9. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Weapon mounted or not?
    If it has to be weapon mounted I say the Insight WX150 on a lasermax green laser is as bright as you will get.

Not mine but heres an example.
    [​IMG]

If it doesn't have to be a "weapon mounted light" like above, I would go with Fenix. You get twice the output at half the price of some of the other companies.

10. Lino

Lino XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like this one.. probably not the best light/ nor the best laser.. but a good overall combo pkg, and a small footprint..

[​IMG]

11. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    to follow up to my post # 8 you can use this mount:

KZ OFM Offset Flashlight Mount

cheap, light and using 6061 aluminum it should be very tough.

Inserts can be used to snug up flashlights that are slightly less than 1 inch. Hope this helps.

12. dkbikes4life4130

dkbikes4life4130 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Posting options might help people who buy in the future, but as far as the OP goes, this thread is from August of last year.

13. bullit

bullit XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    olights-220 lumens and up. i am a distributor of these lights, if you are interested shoot me a PM. price list is on ar15chatterbox.com under lights and lasers.

Also, you can visit our website at www.olightusa.com, to check out the lights we have to offer

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  14. Tx1911

Tx1911 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have the Fenix TA 30 ! Very nice light sabre, LOL !

15. perfectlasers

perfectlasers XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Laser pointer and laser marking are pretty cool gadgets in our daily life, and green laser pointer has become the most popular one among laser pen series such as red laser pointer, blue laser pointer, portable laser, DPSS laser, yellow laser pointer and cni laser pointer. Different series of military laser pointer, astronomy laser pointer are all laser pointers to be applied in those of high-tech required field.