Walther PPQ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by XDMulisha, May 17, 2012.

1. XDMulisha

XDMulisha XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My buddy just got married and wants protection, understandably where we live... Anyway hes looking at the PPQ and I am a fan, he is a fan, has anyone had any descent range time? are there any glitches or other concerns? Ive heard lots of great things about it. I just dont want to steer him in the wrong direction, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.

2. Whitebrad25

Whitebrad25 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, I hate being the one to say this but please search! There is a lot of information, some current/recent running threads on the PPQ. There is a reason it has claimed a lot of notoriety recently despite the mag release that some claim as "too odd." Though, with practice, I really prefer this style release and I am not a lefty. I use my trigger finger to actuate the mag release, just my preference from practice though.

To help contribute to your OP more though, I think he will be served well with the PPQ for two reasons.
    1. He is new to firearms so the mag release won't become a training issue
    2. He is likely not looking for a fantastic trigger but will start with the "caddy" of polymer triggers.

Cons:
    1. The PPQ has a learning curve with that short reset. I have shot double rounds while in that learning curve and OBVIOUSLY in the role he would use the PPQ in, every round is CRITICAL.
    2. He needs a shotgun for home defense. I am a huge advocate of this over handguns, but, alas, this is just my preference.

3. madpear

madpear XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Whitebrad25 regarding home defense. Shotguns have an intimidation factor that pistols can't compete with. Regarding the PPQ as a pistol for personal defense...I think its a solid weapon for that use. From my personal experience I haven't experienced any mechanical issues with the firearm nor have I read any occurences of others having massive problems.

There are pistols out there that have a higher capacity but are also larger. I feel that the PPQ is a solid choice for an all-around pistol. Small enough for concealed carry yet large enough to "duty" carry or perform as a house defense pistol.

4. battleborn.shooter

battleborn.shooter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I echo all of what has already been stated. I own a PPQ in 9mm and love it. The trigger is something that a new shooter has to practice and train with...

5. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Roughly 800 rounds in. It's a masterpiece. Each of you should own one. Hell, I've gone as far to think of purchasing another just to have in the future.