Walmart bikes

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by spudd4242, Jul 12, 2011.

1. spudd4242

spudd4242 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all, a buddy of mine recently got a bike.. i don't have the money to buy a nice bike or any of that jazz.. just wondering if anyone has any insight on a brand that walmart sells called the genesis two nine.

200 bucks is right in my price range for something i can go ride a paved trail with him.

Just looking for any reviews or suggestions.

2. CMfromIL

CMfromIL XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just be careful. Bought my daughter a bike there a couple of times. Last time was the last.

In the never ending quest to lower cost, they use the worst parts possible. The breaking point came as I watched her trying to stop on the driveway. Instead of using soft rubber grips on the brakes, they had used a very inexpenisve plastic compound for the brakes.

They didn't grip worth a crap on the rims, and stopping power was terrible.

I haven't allowed her to ride it again, until I can get some real brakes on it.:twisted:

3. arod

arod XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just recently started biking. I too had a low budget. If you are looking for a mountain bike I got a roadmaster pikes peak edition bike. It was 89.99, has front suspension, shimano shifters, 18 speed. its a nice bike but I suggest changing the seat out for something more comfortable.

4. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    check your local Costco - they have better quality bikes for not much more money

5. spudd4242

spudd4242 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.. i used to ride all the time as a kid.. and i'm looking to get back into it for some exercise with a buddy which is always easier..

6. Talon

Talon XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Before you spend your 200.00 at walmart.. Shop a couple of the bike stores first. Let them help advise you on what to look for etc. Get a few price quotes ,research models on line. And do not overlook thier used bikes. Nothing wrong with a used tuned up bike.

There is a huge difference of comfort and use beyond the 89.00 walmart adult bike.

7. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    craigslist look on there for a few days I bet you can get a better set up for 200 bucks.

8. bowl443

bowl443 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I bought an el-cheapo (~$200) from Academy a few years back.

It was.... decent. Brakes were not tight, gears not smooth, seat sucked....

I think you might be better off hitting up some pawn shops for something better. A Walmart bike will give you what you need today, but probably not tomorrow.

9. btownmac

btownmac XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the craigslist suggestion was on the money,only checkout a couple of websites that review bikes.I did this and after using the reviews for the bikes listed,I picked up 3 300-400 dollar good-quality mountain bikes for me and the boys for 75-100 each.

10. arod

arod XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea I forgot to add I should have listen to my friends and went to a bike shop first, but I didnt think I would stick with it.

Now I want to get a better bike. On the other hand I am kinda cheap and the only complaint about my bike is the seat. I will be looking for a higher quality bike soon.

11. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0
    Check Craigs List, bike shops (for a nice used bike) or the pawn shops.

I bought my daughter a sweet full suspension KHS mt bike with Shimano LX components, Rock Shox air shocks and fork and Specialized tires. Got it for 300 bucks out the door. The guy also had a hard tail Cannondale in the 250 range that was pretty sweet.

Yeah...real bikes...if you don't mind some scratches....for not much more than you'd pay for a heavy, clunky Wal Mart bike with awful brakes and a harsh ride.

Look around....a good used bike can be had in the 250 to 300 range. Something that will not wear you out and ride oh, so much better than anything from Wal Mart.

- brickboy240

12. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I would check bike shops for research, and for the used models. You can learn a LOT from the employees and build service relationships for down the road. A good bike can last you a long time with proper maintenance and care. I wish I had one...

Also Walmart has better bikes online than you will find in store. My local store actually had some 29" bikes with disk brakes. Surpised the heck out of me.

13. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0
    Sometimes asking the employees at bike shops is another route to a better bike for less money. Many have several beaters or older bikes laying around their houses and need cash.

I almost cried, when one of our Bike Barn guys told me "oh you should have been in here last month....so-n-so sold an old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo for about 250 bucks" (!?!?!?!).

- brickboy240

14. Spooled

Spooled XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my buddy bought a 1000 dollar bike on craigslist for about 400 bucks recently.
    No it was not stolen lol,the guy bought it but was to busy being a dad and husband to enjoy it.

15. Slingen

Slingen XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Ditto...^^^^....buy used there are plenty of places that sell used bikes and they are MUCH better quality then Walmart....but if you do end up buying from walmart at least take it to your local bike shop or someone who knows what they are doing and have them look it over....you will be glad you did when you're doing 45mph down a hill with no roadside and a drop off...you'll look like Hoogerland in the Tour de France (he's the guy flipping over into the barbed wire fence at 45mph...

YouTube - ‪Tour de France 2011: Stage 9 Flecha & Hoogerland Car Crash‬‏