Visiting vegas Where to Shoot?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by MrMiami, Jul 24, 2011.

1. MrMiami

MrMiami XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm going to be in Las Vegas, NV for a while anyone know any good spots to shoot? I also was told that even though I'm certified by the NRA for Basic Pistol and as a Basic Pistol instructor i have to take a class inside NV state lines to get my NV non resident CCW can some one shed some light on this?

2. Gigantor

Gigantor XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department - Concealed Firearms Permit

(you need to take a firearms course in Clark County if you want to carry in Vegas)

3. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go to North LV, there are a # of idiots there trying to shoot each other every night. :)

In reality, some parts of Clark County can be hazardous to your health.

4. ta2dave76

ta2dave76 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There's a range in boulder city, american shooters, and if you want to spend alot of $$$ goto the gun store. You can rent full auto stuff. Plus they can help you with the classes. Got my chp through them.

5. MrMiami

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    funny enough I'm in North LV on Craig & Allen

I read the stuff and spoke to the CCW dept of LVMPD I'm just curious what type of class this is that makes me un qualified I hope its about laws.

how long are these classes and how much on average do they cost?

no need for renting i brought my XD sc.40 with me for the trip and i get ammo from walley world

6. ta2dave76

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think the gun store has free classes

7. Gigantor

Gigantor XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The class is 9 hours.
    Not sure why, but the class at The Gun Store is free.

THE GUN STORE | CLASSES

The Gun Store presents the required class three times a week, every MONDAY, WEDNESDAY and SATURDAY. The class runs 9 hours, including a lunch break. The class starts at 9 AM and ends at approximately 6PM. We ask that students arrive 15 minutes early to allow for parking and paperwork prior to the class beginning. We do accept walk-ins on a space available basis; but, if possible, please call ahead to reserve your class date: (702) 454-1110.

NEVADA LAW

Nevada is a “Shall Issue” state meaning that if a person with a clean criminal history successfully completes the approved classroom training and appropriate firearms qualification, the Sheriff will issue a permit. Nevada Concealed Firearm Permits are valid for a period of five years from the date of issue and are issued to residents of any state. Permit renewal requires a shorter refresher class, a shooting re-qualification and application to the Sheriff for the renewal. Completed application and proof of class & qualification must be presented to the Sheriff in person.

SHOOTING QUALIFICATIONS

You may qualify with one revolver, which allows carry of any revolver. You must however qualify with each specific semi-automatic firearm you wish to carry. Nevada has no limit on the number of guns listed on your permit.

CLASS COST

The class is FREE and includes qualification with 1 firearm. Each additional firearm costs $25. The 5 hour renewal class is FREE as well with each additional firearm costing $25. Permit applications for Utah and Florida are included at no cost if you wish to apply to those states concurrently.

CLASS PARKING

Please park your vehicle in one of the lots to the rear of the store in order to leave our front parking lot for the “in & out” customers.

LVMPD FEES AND PROCESSING

LVMPD charges $100.25 to process a permit application and fingerprint cards. Their processing may take up to 120 days. Your permit will be mailed to you.

QUALIFICATION COURSE

The qualification course consists of 36 rounds fired on a B-27 full sized target.

AT 3 YARDS:
    6 rounds right hand only, reload, 6 rounds left hand only, 60 second time limit
    AT 7 YARDS:
    12 rounds freestyle (two hands) (fire 6, reload, fire 6), 60 second time limit
    AT 15 YARDS:
    12 rounds freestyle (two hands) (fire 6, reload, fire 6), 60 second time limit

70% (252 POINTS OF 360) IS THE PASSING SCORE. For firearms holding only 5 rounds, an equivalent 30 round course will be used. 70% (210 points of 300) is the passing score.

8. ta2dave76

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That's the class I took. I got a 358 on the shootin score.

9. MrMiami

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the Info

@ Dave you did that with the xd40sc? either way nice job!

i read that they updated the law so u can qualify with 1 semi or 1 revolver or a combo of both types and covers you for all types (so u dnt have to qualify for every individual gun) it was in a PDF file on a website of NV state laws

10. gix

gix XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    go to the clark county shooting park. its $7 for all day. its open wednesday - sunday. im there at least 3 times a week. You can start on the pistol range then move over to the rifle range for no extra charge. It's in north vegas and takes about 20 minutes to get there from the strip.

Clark County Shooting Range

11. gix

gix XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I took the class last monday. They say there are 2 reasons why its free.

1- They believe everyone should carry a gun
    2- All the idiots paying $200 to shoot 50 rds. out of a sub machine gun are actually paying the instructor fee for the CCW class, making it free.

These are the reasons they gave me.

12. gix

gix XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is correct. As of July 1 you no longer have to qualify with each semi auto you plan to carry. Now its the same as the revolver qualifying. If you qualify with 1 semi auto you are then qualified to carry any semi auto handgun. No more $25 per gun.

13. ta2dave76

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Really? I haven't heard of this. I wonder if I need to get my chp re-issued then. I didn't have time to borrow my buddies revolver, so my permit says I'm only allowed to carry my 40sc. Ill call gunstore tomorrow and find out.

Yes I got that score with my sc40. I put about 500 rnds my gun (1250 total) a couple weeks before I did the class. I did 50 left 50 right to get familiar with the off hand shooting. Plus the plates were over 100ft I was shooting at.

If you've never shot with your non shooting hand I highly recomend you try it out.

Also in my class of 25, 14 people had never fired their guns before. Scary stuff. I qualified first and got the hell out of there.

14. ta2dave76

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Also gunstore provides ammo for the qualify. Its some type of frangible ammo. My pistol ate it like a stoner eats a bag of dorritos!

15. gix

gix XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    they provide 36 rounds for the qualifying. if you fail to qualify it's $25 to try and qualify again