Viridian C5L w/ ECR help

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by IRepodU, Jun 10, 2012.

1. IRepodU

IRepodU XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I received my C5L for my XDm earlier this week. I wanted a holster that would take advantage of the ECR feature, but I have only seen right handed models. I need a left draw. So I ordered a hybrid holster from multiholsters.com instead of waiting for something to be made for us lefties. Today I was playing around with the C5L, and remembered that some cell phone functions are activated automatically by magnets in car docks or desk docks. So, I grabbed a magnet off my refrigerator and decided to move it around on my Viridian. Once the magnet was on the bottom of the C5L, it shut off. I was hoping that someone that has an ECR equipped Viridian could replicate this for me. If this is how it works with other units instead of just mine, I think I'll just incorporate a magnet in my holster when it arrives.

2. Centurion321

Centurion321 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yes you are correct, sir. Funny you just posted this because I just posted a video to YouTube regarding this...my first ever concerning firearms.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch1j7Zyqges&feature=youtube_gdata_player"](click for video)[/ame]

I set out in the same direction as you, because the Taclock holster was not an option for me, and I realized it implements the same technology that Apple utilizes with the magnets located in the smart covers on the iPad 2 & 3 which triggers the sensor to shut off the screen.

I went to Ace hardware and acquired a few different size magnets and it works flawlessly as long as your touching the Viridian logo on the left side of the C5L w/ ECR.

I believe this technology can be utilized in any holster and I am currently getting a leather one made including a magnet inside. I also ordered the Galco concealed carry holster from Viridians site (not ECR equipped) and I plan on glueing/sewing in a magnet to make it ECR capable.

Spread this info!

3. XDBeach

XDBeach XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did it work? Did you ever get the magnet in the Galco to make it ECR?

4. Flanders20

Flanders20 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bump bump...