VIDEO 2009 - Deputy Cox threatens to shoot concealed carrier for accidental exposure

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by McTamney, Jan 18, 2013.

1. McTamney

McTamney XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This may have been posted already but I saw this on another forum. Your Thoughts? I think the driver was in the wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pns3_Peke30#]FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawfully Carried Handgun - YouTube[/ame]

Citrus County Florida Deputy Andy Cox Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee for Lawfully Carried Handgun & Then Arrests Him for Accidental Exposure.

2. Chicago2VP71

Chicago2VP71 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Don't you need to inform the officer that you are carrying before you say anything? Those should have been the first words out of the guys mouth IMO?

Either way the cop definitely has an attitude and a big ego. Charging the guy because when the cop made him bend over his gun outline poked out? Really..

3. Tattooed Bard

Tattooed Bard XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    varies by state.

4. shogan191

shogan191 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The driver is definitely in the wrong. Although I would have informed the deputy that I was carrying and licensed before getting out of the vehicle, he cannot expose his weapon either intentionally or accidentally. That is what he was charged with.

5. Chicago2VP71

Chicago2VP71 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wow! So if your shirt happens to lift too high and someone accidentally sees your weapon for a split second that's considered a crime?

6. js12278

js12278 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you have to inform the officer in Florida? if not, screw the deputy. ******* threatens to shoot him in the back?? nah, he lost my respect right there. I don't say another word from there on in. Now you earn the arrest and overtime.

7. McTamney

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey JS. The 790 says "The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer"

8. ia9service

ia9service XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the one hand, I have always thought anywhere that makes accidental exposure a crime is just stupid.

On the other, if I am dealing with an officer while carrying, I would be the first to let him know long before he catches a glimpse. I don't care if the law says I have to or not. What if he had spotted it while the guy was reaching for his wallet, and assumed he was drawing the gun?

As the instructor (and local LEO) of a recent class I went to put it, if its in the glove compartment I don't need to know about it, if it and your registration are in the glove compartment, things go much smoother if I know about it before you open that door.

9. McTamney

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree

10. spyderhd

spyderhd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, if you get pulled over and you have a weapon in the vehicle the first words should be, "before we go any further officer, I do want let you know that I m legally carrying a weapos, it located in my xxxxx" that's pretty much how my part of the conversation would go.

11. js12278

js12278 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok, So does he have to inform the officer? I heard the deputy ask him "why was he carrying a gun?" Then he told him to put his hands up on the vehicle and then he threatens to shoot him in the back ...wtf??? Guy didn't even get a breath in...

12. ia9service

ia9service XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whether he "has to" or not (depending on local laws), standing a few feet from an officer, digging in your pockets and vehicle, all the while having a firearm hidden, is not conductive to a long life. The cop may have overreacted, but can you imagine his surprise during a routine traffic stop to suddenly see a gun right where the "suspect's" hand was? Just like with a large wild animal, better to not startle them!

My personal procedure for a traffic stop, engine off, interior light on (if dark), window down, both hands on the wheel. Advise officer that I have a permit to carry, and that I have a firearm in the vehicle, and ask how he would like to handle it. Some at that point don't care, and just want to know where it is. Others may ask you to step out of the vehicle and separate you and the weapon for their and your own safety.

Remember folks, the most dangerous thing a law officer does is make a traffic stop. They don't know when they pull you over whether you are a grandma in a hurry to get home before dark, or someone that just killed and is making a getaway, and it is a chance they take everyday.

13. sinc86

sinc86 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    she is so hot

14. Foskey

Foskey XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Both wrong. He should have stayed in the vehicle and followed orders. Correct me if I am wrong. But, in Florida, you don't have to tell the officer. Now, back in '09 that may have been different. Also, I know that as of recently an accidental display of the firearm, like this guy did isn't against the law. Willful brandishing on the other hand most definitely is.

If I were get pulled over, I would notify immediately, as a courtesy. Particularly because of ridiculous situations like this.

15. McTamney

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well put!