VersaCarry for the XD-S

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by Proflyer, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Proflyer

Proflyer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Greetings all,

I thought I'd chip in as a noob on here and post a review of the VersaCarry holster. It's not really a holster, more of a clip I guess.

Pros:
    -Light weight
    -Zero bulk added to the gun
    -Versatile carry positions (you can carry all around your waist L and R draw)
    -Works with any gun of the same caliber
    -Retains very well (can hold it upside down and shake it with a full mag)
    -Different 'clip' lengths allow for you to select your ride height
    -Can be mounted in different places (truck, bag, jacket) basically anything it can clip onto.
    -Cheap! $28 shipped

Cons:
    -Gun is against your body fully exposed
    -Gun can change canter a bit in your waist (this is more of a neutral as it moves back a bit when you sit down which was nice)
    -Trigger is covered/guarded on the pants side but not the body side of the gun

Overall, I like it. For the price it does the job. I really don't like to carry anything on my hip, I prefer the small of my back. The only thing I'm concerned about is the gun being exposed to sweat etc. from my body. I think it's a nice option to have and it did a great job in casual shorts and jeans with a t-shirt. I like the minimalist approach when I'm dressed for warmer weather to save on bulk.

See versacarry.com. I got the .45 SMALL for the XDs and I think that's the right size. The medium would tuck the gun in more for deep concealment. See the size chart on their website.

Cheers!

2. ECC444

ECC444 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmmm I don't know man. It doesn't look very stable ... seems like there would be a lot of play. What about "reholstering" ... I assume you'd have to take the versaclip from the waistband??????

3. Proflyer

Proflyer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's very stable actually. The whole unit (gun and holster) moves around a bit but its just a single clip so I'm not surprised. I was pleased with how sturdy it does feel though.

Reholstering is def a two hand job but can be done with it in your pants. Its easier to work the holster onto your belt and in your pants and then put the gun down on it. Its obviously harder than a kydex holster but I don't plan on drawing and holstering it multiple times. It locks onto the plug part good though as its angled toward the holster

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. ECC444

ECC444 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I may try one out ... I like the minimalist design. Worst case scenario it ends up in a box with the 43,584 other holsters I bought and don't use anymore :)

5. MisterB

MisterB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one. I like it. People tend to dog on it until they see it in person, and then they are surprised that they like it. It's very secure by the way. Get a good gun belt. I'm sure a two clip setup is more secure, but for a one clip deal, it's very secure.

Forget reholstering . Not what it was designed for, and technically a CCW holster shouldn't be.

6. ECC444

ECC444 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just ordered one ... I have a technaclip or clip draw, (something like that) on my Glock and LCP, I like the clip style carry.

7. coachrose

coachrose XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will be the first accessory I order after I get my XDs. Looks promising, glad to hear you like it.

8. Japeatr

Japeatr XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pics???

9. maxfire05

maxfire05 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one for my xd40. Although it is very versatile, its not comfortable. I always take if off and put on my hybrid holster. I can't find a comfortable way to carry it. Might be better if it have a cant to it. But for the price, it's not a problem if you wanna test out. I won't be ordering anymore. I considered it for my xds but chose to buy another hybrid holster. That way you can "set it and forget it". I find it difficult to forget with versacarry due to the gun poking my love handles. Mine is for the xd 40sc, I slipped it into the barrel of the xds for a "fit check" and it was still uncomfortable for me. Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.

10. Rotty37

Rotty37 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    * Not able to re-holster
    * No trigger guard protection/cover

Accident waiting to happen.IMO

I'll pass

11. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

With an SA XD series, maybe.

With the Glock.....OH Hell No!

12. bedrockbob

bedrockbob XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Rotty37.
    No trigger guard cover is a deal breaker for me.

13. Proflyer

Proflyer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has a trigger guard. Did you look at the site or just assume?

Their gen 1 old style did not and they got a lot of feedback so their gen 2 has it. It's just on one side, but you'd have to pull a moron move and as we all know....it's hard to protect against morons.

It is a lot like the technaclip which I have for my LCP and love. I figured for $25 bucks I could try it and I think it delivers in the right situations.

14. jhart

jhart XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate it when a website shows only "excellent" reviews for their product. If you truly have a great product, then put the reviews of people that were not happy with your product up and let me, the consumer, decide if I still want to buy your product. Even a great product will not meet everyone's needs.

15. coachrose

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will say in researching the versacarry, it seems to be very polarizing in how people see it. The inventor has been very receptive to criticism and has used them to improve his product.

On youtube, he has also fired three rounds from a gun with the versacarry inserted each time to prove it won't be an obstruction if you manage to draw you weapon with the versacarry still inserted.

One of the most outlandish arguments I have seen was a guy explaining how his underwear could bunch up and fire his weapon. Someone replied that it sounded like he needed some new underwear. :)

16. LeroyJenkins

LeroyJenkins XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks interesting, but I'm holding out hope that a vanguard holster from raven concealment comes out. Similar minimalist design, but has full trigger protection.

[youtube][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35E6xWnlHY[/ame]

17. coachrose

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

18. Proflyer

Proflyer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That Raven one is interesting! Please post up when they make one or you get one for the XDS.

19. Rotty37

Rotty37 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes. but it has it on one side. How about protection guard on the opposite end that touches your body. Still not comfortable with that.

20. LeroyJenkins

LeroyJenkins XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I actually just got an email from them. It's on their radar, but they don't have a timeline yet. He said their adding new pistols weekly though.