Springfield XD Forum banner

Vepr or Saiga...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  unclejed 
#1 ·
Looking at a couple new guns and can't make up my mind. One is a 20 inch Vepr in 308 and the other is a Saiga 223. The Vepr would be adding a new caliber and I don't reload. The Saiga would get converted, I've done 2 already, and eventually I'd want to do a mag adapter/conversion. A 223 AK has long been a fantasy but there's no denying a 308 Vepr is pretty damn sweet. Any opinions?

#3 ·
Saiga 223 is a solid unit...check out my "unsucking the Saiga 223" thread...its simple to convert and heckuva lot of fun...little heavier than an AR but much more appealing to me... I am putting a Bullet Guide into mine (when the darn thing ships lol) and running Galil Magazines in lieu of the AR Mag adapter; Everyone who makes them seems to be way way too backordered or insanely overpriced for me

I had a Saiga .308 (much the same as a VEPR) I converted and it wasn't awful...but for the pricetag, I'd pick up an FN FAL or PTR-91 before I owned another--magazines are impossible to find...just my $0.02

#6 ·
Big difference between a VePR and Saiga in 308. VePR is the better weapon when compared next to each other. Its heavier then a Saiga because it is based on the RPK. Saiga's SGL line would be more akin to a VePR because it already has the feeding upgrade. If you just want a shooter, the Saiga would be the way to go. If you want a 308 AK, get a yugo m77 and modify M14 mags. Easier to deal with and uses M70 furniture. The issues i have with Saiga 308s is the amount of receiver flex that happens. A Vepr and M77 will out print a Saiga. They have stiffer receivers. The other issue i have with a Saiga is the jacked up bolts/carriers they use. you have to change the carrier to use standard AK bolts. No reason to not get one though, they are still nice guns. And you can modify Saiga mags to work in a VePR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.