Value of Brass?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Pyromike, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Pyromike

Pyromike XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 2
    What is the value of used brass? I have been collecting my brass for awhile (9mm, .45, .380) and have it in jugs in my garage. A friend who reloads said he'd trade me ammo for the brass.

What is the equal trade value for lets say a 50 round box of 9mm range ammo? The brass I have still has the primers and hasn't been tumbled. I just pick it up after shooting and throw it in the jug.

Thanks in advance. I'm going to check in a couple of forums to see what everyone's opinions are.

2. jtprevatte

jtprevatte Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The 9mm is worthless...if you send it to me I guess I can go through the trouble of disposing of it for ya.....

3. Roadogre

Roadogre XDTalk Newbie Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

And given the large amount of lead residue left on the .45 brass, it could be considered hazardous waste material. I have a close friend who is Hazmat certified. We could probably take it off your hands for a small fee.:evil:

4. smokey240sx

smokey240sx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. mongoose33

mongoose33 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    If you check on Gunbroker you'll find many people selling once-fired brass of various calibers. You might get an idea what it's worth from that.

I just went to gunbroker to check out of curiousity, and the page is down. But if you go to this site:

Once Fired Brass - ReloadersAuction.com, reloading, shooting, online auction

You can see toward the bottom of the page what people are *getting* (not asking) for once-fired brass. In one instance, there's a bid of $16 for 500 cases of once-fired .45 ACP brass. The brass is polished but doesn't appear to be de-primed.

In another auction, there's a bid of $60 for 1000 .45ACP, all the same headstamp, polished but not deprimed or belled.

I didn't look for much more, but that may give you a start on thinking what it may be worth. In the end, it's worth what your friend will "pay" for it.

6. Se2002

Se2002 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have sold once fired .45ACP brass, dirty and still primed for $0.045/case.

Most reloaders I have met like to clean and deprime them selves.

7. Edubya

Edubya XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    They are worth every penny that you can get for them. You can ask $.06 each for separated brass, but if you get $.03 you'll be lucky.
    I would hesitate to shoot somebody else's handloads, if he makes a mistake and double loads one and it makes a kaboom that destroys your gun and or worse, what recourse do you take? Handloads are very personal to me, like a toothbrush; I won't share mine with you and will not use yours.

8. Pyromike

Ratings:
    +27 / 2
    I'm a retired Firefighter w/ Hazmat training. I'll just put on my hazmat suit when I pick up the brass after shooting. Works great but the washdown station is a *****! :D

Thanks for the offer!

Looks like I'll just see what he has to offer. I don't reload and would be willing to trade for a box or 2 of ammo. Maybe I'll just spend some time shooting his AR!! (I'll wait for the offer first). The next choice would be to have him teach me how to reload. Great - another hobby! My wife can't wait!

9. Pyromike

Ratings:
    +27 / 2
    I appreciate the advice. He's a close friend, current Firefighter & Police Reserve. Guess if you can't trust the LEO's, who can you? Don't worry, I won't use his toothbrush!

I have another friend who trades his brass in somewhere for manufactured loads (not reloads). I'll check with him on deals!

10. dsr30

dsr30 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I bought 1k of polished .45acp brass for $45 shipped a couple days ago.