UPDATE: Springfield Warranty/Customer Service: Happy, Yet Disappointed...(pics)

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by DannyXBOX, Jun 9, 2011.

1. DannyXBOX

DannyXBOX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So my SA 1911A Champion was shooting high, having feed ramp issues, and having some extractor issues. I called Customer Service and spoke with Deb. I told her about my issue, and she quickly emailed me a shipping label/instructions, and I sent it out the next day which was Wednesday 5/24 and I received it back today 6/29. Springfield refit the slide and frame, replaced the extractor, replaced the barrel, replaced the front and rear tritium night sights (to shoot point of aim), and refinished the slide. I was SOOO happy to hear that they had done all these things to rectify my issues and under warranty at no charge to me. Except for two "problems". Well... At least one problem and one thing I may just be being anal about.

1.) The barrel they replaced is longer than the original. If I were to guess, i would say about a a quarter of an inch longer. I wasn't fond of it at first, but I was starting to get over it, and it is actually starting to grow on me. BUT I would have preferred the original "flushness" of the other barrel...

2.) The front Trijicon sight they installed is dim. So dim in fact, that my camera couldn't even pick up the little glimmer of light it put out in complete darkness.

I am going to call them tomorrow morning to see what they say. I would hate to go without it again for another two weeks as it is my daily carry, but also don't want to pay $65 dollars for the local shop to do it (That's what they quoted me) if Springfield sends me a new one. If I do end up sending it in, I would like for them to flush the barrel, but my wife said that I am not dropping another dime on anything gun related for a while... so it would only happen if they covered it.

What are my options here guys?
    Thoughts?

BTW. I've included pics of said "issues"
    DOES THIS NEW BARREL LOOK RIGHT TO YOU? IF YOU RECEIVED THIS, WOULD YOU BE CONTENT?

UPDATE: So I sent my 1911 back on Friday 6/10/11 and received a call from Megan at SA today saying my 1911 was "ready" and I will be receiving it Thursday. She told me the front sight was replaced however, the replacement barrels that SA uses are longer than the stock bull barrels. She noted that the new "longer" barrels are of higher quality and of improved performance, and pretty much saying there was nothing they could do. Maybe they were having issues with there 4" bull barrels and made modifications to address those issues. I Guess I will have to live with the new one. At this point, I just really want my 1911 back. I miss it sooooo much. I feel naked without it! I am SOMEWHAT disappointed, but glad the sight got fixed and that it will soon be on my hip again.

Any thoughts/comments from you folks on their response?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My suggestion is if you like the barrel...leave it. Send the slide in seperately and technically you will have it sooner, since you only need the sight done...they may beable to turn it around the same day....

Call them and ask about turn around time

3. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good idea on sending the slide, you might send along the barrel and have them flush crown it.

4. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it was up to me... I would rather have it flush like it was originally in the first photo. Do you think they would flush/recrown under warranty?

Do you think that the barrel the put in might even be the "wrong" one?

5. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are not sure then you are really not happy. You have to stay on people nowadays over and over.

I say call back, politely explain why you are still not happy and ask for them to make it right. Thank them for attempting to help but explain you're not 100% satisfied.

It will bug you if you don't. If you were content you wouldn't have posted here.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hear what you are saying, and it makes sense. But it's hard to be demanding on something you are getting for free. Especially when they have gone above and beyond for things that other companies wouldn't consider to be "under warranty"

7. Rykko

Rykko XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Don't think of it as free. Think of it as getting what you payed for. They have customer service for a reason.
    They will probably be more than happy to make it right. You payed for a specific model, it was defective, so you should get the original model you initally PAID for.

8. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ::LIGHT BULB!:: Now THAT is an EXCELLENT point. I mean, this gun cost more than my mortgage payment. Lol!

9. mkmsr

mkmsr XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SEND IT BACK...... They have destroyed the looks of your weapon. The barrel would bother me much more than the sights. JMO

10. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    They replaced a barrel for me recently to fix a double feed issue and I also get the 4.25" barrel which appears to be the barrel that SA uses in the Operators. I just assumed that they were moving to the longer barrel. Not uncommon as several folks on the 1911 forum have reported the same. Doesn't bother me though as my dads Bill Wilson Carry has the same look as do several others including my Kimber.

Like others stated if you are not happy then send it back and ask for the crown if that's what you want. If the sight is dim and you have to send at least the slide back, you might as well send the whole gun especially if it's on their dime.

11. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The more I look at it, the more I agree with you. It just doesn't feel "right" to me. I work with customer service and repairs (RV Technician) and I would NOT let something like that go... How could they?! I mean, the guy who changed the barrel out said to himself, "Oh, it's just a little longer and looks ridiculous... But that's okay."

12. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Find a picture of what you expect for the crown, there are lots of degrees etc. I really like these two.

Send it to them for a reference while you explain you are not happy at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why stick a 4.25 inch barrel where a 4 inch barrel was?

14. DannyXBOX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont really care. I just want it flush and functional.

15. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Well the front looks like they broke the vial installing the sight.