Unsure whether to get 9mm or 40SW, noticable recoil difference with these loads?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Mighty_Pelican, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mighty_Pelican

Mighty_Pelican XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a 13 ounce, 357 Magnum j-frame on my 21st birthday. The recoil is blood-inducing and now I know that the short barrel limits the performance and increases the flash, bang, and recoil. I shot a full-size 9mm XD-M a few times last year and I always wanted one and now I can afford one.

Now I'm divided as to whether I should get the 9mm or 40SW. From my understanding premium JHP's form both loads will do their job as long as I do mine (shot placement). Nevertheless, I've also read in many documents that the 40SW still has a slight performance edge for defense.

I'm set on Cor-Bon Self-Defense JHP bullets either way (from my present understanding). The shooting range doesn't rent firearms anymore. How much greater is the recoil of the 40SW than the 9mm?

The baseline for comparison is:
    Caliber: 9mm +P
    Bullet Wt.: 115gr
    Velocity: 1350fps
    Energy: 466ftlbs

Compared to:
    Caliber: 40 S&W
    Bullet Wt.: 135gr
    Velocity: 1325fps
    Energy: 526ftlbs

and

Caliber: 40 S&W

Bullet Wt.: 150gr
    Velocity: 1200fps
    Energy: 480ftlbs

You can probably infer from this that high-capacity and supersonic speeds are important factors in my consumer choices.

2. knight4477

knight4477 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own the XDm .40S&W 4.5 (full) and 3.8 (compact). I love both guns and the recoil is not bad at all, as long as you practice and practice more. I've shot the 9mm and it is definitely a difference, but the difference is not a world's difference. But the .40 is a high pressure round, so there is going to be a little muzzle flip and recoil when comparing to the 9. But with proper grip and practice, I now prefer the .40, the way it feels when shooting.

I truly believe it is going to be down to your own personal preference, you should try to get exposed to both rounds and determine for yourself. I jumped to the .40 and practiced with it and I'm comfortable with it. I prefer the "punch" from the .40 (good compromise between the 9 and .45, higher capacity but with larger bullets to throw down range). But if you feel that you cannot manage the .40 and be accurate with practice over time, then go with the 9. But again, I would try to get exposed to both rounds and make a decision. Good luck!;)

3. d_adams

d_adams XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. carstensxd45

carstensxd45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. carstensxd45

carstensxd45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Winchester Ranger T SD ammo testing - YouTube

6. Kbbell007

Kbbell007 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know if economics is a factor for you, but 9mm are less expensive, and for me, the more I shoot the more comfortable I am with the weapon. Being comfortable with your weapon when the pressure is on is VERY important. High velocity holes in the air are of little value. Get what you will shoot regularly. Or at least that would be my recommendation.

This advice is worth every penny you paid for it. LOL!!

7. Caimorjen

Caimorjen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds to me the XDM9 would be the best choice for you. The 9mm is a little more easy on a new shooter and again more economial ammo lets you shoot more.

Later you will want to move up to the .40 or the .45acp.:)

8. Sharpie

Sharpie XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Growing up shooting 1911's and now owning several 9mm's. After shooting various 40's I find it to not be so much of a middle ground between the two rounds.

I personally find the 40 to take the worst aspects of both the .45 and 9mm and put them together. Has the recoil from the .45 and the muzzle flip from the 9mm. I have never been a fan of the .40. Just my personal preference... I am sure there are many that disagree with me and that is OK also.

9. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    I've been shooting handguns for 17 years and prefer the 9mm over the 40..
    I don't care for the muzzle flip of the 40 at all..

I've owned 2, Sig P229 and XD40 service, and sold them both.
    The only asset the 40 has is that many can be converted to 357sig by just a barrel change using the same 40 mags.
    One of my first handguns was a Sig P229, bought in 40cal.
    Swapped the 40cal barrel with a stock 357sig barrel and never shot 40 thru it again.
    357sig is a bit hot and expensive to shoot, but a fun round to put downrange.

And just to throw this in there, I prefer a 147gr 9mm Ranger T bullet for my carry nines.

Bullet: 147 grain, reversed tapered jacket
    Jacket Weight: 17 % of total bullet weight.
    Powder: Low flash, clean burning.
    Primer: Winchester non-corrosive primer
    Accuracy: Product mean of 1.50” Extreme Spread – Five shot targets at 50 yards from a SAAMI test barrel.
    Velocity: 990 ft/sec nominal at 15 ft using a SAAMI standard 4” test barrel (995 ft/sec muzzle velocity).
    Muzzle Energy: 323 ft-lb.

When and if one wants to move up a caliber, I'd recommend going straight to 45acp and bypassing the 40cal entirely..JMHO..

I agree for the most part.
    But I feel the 40 has more upward muzzle flip recoil than the 9mm.
    The 45s I've owned, XD45 compact and 1911s, have a pleasant push back recoil.
    I feel the 45 is more controllable than the 40cal.
    You're not alone in your dislike of the 40cal as a whole..

10. Russ7777

Russ7777 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a difference in recoil between the 9mm and the .40. I don't know if the difference in recoil is enough to be a deciding factor in your purchase.
    The bigger question is: What are you going to use it for? If strictly target shooting, then go with the 9, the ammo is cheaper.
    If self-defense, then I would go with the .40. There is a reason most of the police departments and the FBI changed from the 9 to the .40. The 9 was percieved as not having enough knock-down power.
    Yes I know all the arguements: shot placement verses power. However the FBI seems to think the 9 did not have the knock-down power; even with good shot placement.

11. Sharpie

Sharpie XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally I find the 1911's and most 45's to PUSH back into my hand and 9mm's to 'flip' against my wrist.

I believe what I was trying to say is that the 40 takes the 9mm round, adds the push like the .45 and increases the snap like the 9mm. With its most noticeable feature being a large snap like recoil.

To answer the OP's question... YES there is a noticeable difference between the 9mm and the 40.

A 1 lb snub 357mag revolver is going to have around 3x more perceived recoil than a full size 9mm from my experiences.

12. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    I agreed with you..
    The 40s I've owned and shot have MORE flip than the 9s I have and do own.
    That is all I added..

Welcome to the forum..

13. BassMan1

BassMan1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My self I love my 9mm XD sub compact I carry it every where I can and shoot it every chance I can get to the range or woods I can afford to shoot it more then then the 40 and don't worry about the recoil my buddy are glock 40 and 45 owners they can have them it the XD 9 for me but it's like ford Chevy and dodge every body likes there own .

14. scooter123

scooter123 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Give the 3 loads you've posted I don't think there will be enough difference to either notice or matter. I'll also say that you are a bit of a glutten for punishment, because IMO all 3 of your listed choices will feature a rather sharp recoil impulse that WILL impede your ability for a rapid followup. You'll also find that they are rather loud shooting due to the supersonic velocity and possible muzzle blast.

Personally, I carry the 40 S&W with either a 165 or 180 gn bullet. In my Sig P239 it's the 165 gn high velocity Speer Gold Dot (Speer offers 2 loadings in this weight, a reduced recoil and a high velocity). Recoil in my 30 ounce Sig is moderate enough that I can hold a 5 inch or less group size at 30 feet while shooting at a 1/2 second or less split time. In my XDm-4.5 I carry the 180 gn. Winchester Ranger-T because the longer barrel allows the XDm to get that heavier bullet up to speed. While it's slightly subsonic the benefit is that it's distinctly quieter that the supersonic load in my Sig and that extra bit of mass balances out the power produced. End result is the recoil impulse in my XDm is milder than that with my Sig and as a result I can normally shoot it a bit faster.

BTW, I don't buy into all that stuff about the 40 S&W being snappy. That 9mm 115 gn +P load will be a LOT more snappy than a 180 gn 40 S&W like the Ranger-T I prefer. The simple fact of the Physics involved is that the DURATION of the recoil event determines how "snappy" the percieved recoil is as long as the muzzle energy is held as a constant. Light weight bullets move a lot faster than heavier bullets and as a result if the energy produced is similar the lighter bullet load will feel more "snappy" than a heavier bullet load because the event duration is SHORTER with the light bullet. Of course if the muzzle energy is increased all the proceeding can be thrown out the window, for example a true 357 Magnum loaded to maximum will produce near 750 ft.lbs. of muzzle energy and make a really hot 40 S&W feel like a powder puff in comparison.

BTW, I spend probably 60-70% of my range time shooting revolvers and in general they are a bit more "snappy" than semi autos. As for why, generally the bore axis is a bit higher in the hand and revolvers don't feature a reciprocating slide to soak up some of the recoil energy. Because of this, and a LOT more years under my belt I wouldn't even consider shooting a 13 ounce revolver in either 38 spl. or 357 Magnum, the plain truth is those featherweights flat out hurt to shoot and I'm old enough I just don't see any need to beat myself silly just to prove myself. Right now my favorite revolver is my 625 in 45ACP, it's a bit cheaper to shoot than a 38 and the recoil is a near perfect match for those 165 gn. Gold Dots in my Sig so I can get in both recoil management time and DA trigger time without burning up ammo that costs nearly a dollar a round.

15. Mr. Anthony

Mr. Anthony XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have the XD40 SC, and one of my good friends has the 9. We often trade off while at the range, and recoil is noticeable in the sense that you can tell a difference, but not so much so that it's a big deal for either one of us. I would put my felt recoil difference at under 20%. If you're using proper technique and grip it's not really an issue. Factor in ammo cost, or whatever else you want to think of. I just happen to like the 40 round for some reason.

FWIW, I shoot 180 grain almost exclusively.

16. XDMan07

XDMan07 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your getting a full size gun I would go with 40 S&W. If you are getting a compact/subcompact I recommend a 9mm. I have owned almost every cal and model xd xdm except for the 5.25 line and 3.8-45acp. The xd9 sc is my favorite. Its good to get both if you can afford it.

17. scotty8

scotty8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 to Sharpie on his comments. I agree that the .40 marries the worst aspects of its larger and smaller cousins. Plenty of people dead from 9mm wounds. If you are concerned that the 9 is under powered, stepping up to the .45 probably makes more sense. My xdm 9 is my favorite gun, and with ammo still available at $125/M it is much cheaper to shoot it a lot. .40 ammo isn't cheap, and it is harder to find lighter practice loads.

18. Gillespie

Gillespie XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 40 compact and like it. Very easy to shoot on target. Ammo isnt expensive. I spent 260 on 1000 rounds of 165gr. And i spent 280 on 180gr. I spent over 600 for the gun i really dont care about paying for ammo. I also i all the stuff to reload as well. I am waiting for the 357 sig barrel so i can start shooting that. Love my .40, when i go to the range i shoot my friends 9 and 45, but i just go back to mine. Only you can deciede and what to be comfortable with.

19. oif0709

oif0709 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get both. I got the 5.25 in 9mm for inexpensive ammo and it being for practice and target. I plan to get it in. 40 or. 45 go with what is comfortable. All depends on what you're using it for. If you want knockdown power but a little lest costly id go with the 45. Which I've found to be cheaper than 40. Unless I can get an xds ill carry a .40 this forum is making me want another xdm.

20. ksduckhunter

ksduckhunter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own a .40sc and find it not the most enjoyable to shoot. A friend of mine owns a full size 9mm and after an afternoon of shooting my 40 his 9mm feels like a BB gun. Much more enjoyable to shoot.

Now having worked in an ER, I want the biggest bullet possible coming out of there. It's pretty amazing how resilient the human body is. Especial why high on drugs such as PCP. I now own. A .45 XDm for home defense....

I'll probably buy a 9mm for the range in the distant future.