Unregistered Vehicles in VA

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by XD-Generate, Jul 30, 2010.

1. XD-Generate

XD-Generate XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Good morning guys,
    Just a quick question. If I have an unregistered car on my private property that is not in run down condition and is parked in a driveway can I be ticketed? The tags have expired and I am not in the position to renew yet. (Bought a sub compact instead..lol) My question is, is this illegal in VA? Can I get a ticket for having this expired car on my PRIVATE PROPERTY? It is NOT on the street and is actually more than 10 feet from the street up by the house.

Online all I can find is vague answers that say I should be good but I really want to know 100%.

Thanks for your help guys. Anyone in local law-enforcement that could chime in would be great.. :confused::confused:

2. tom_d

tom_d XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know about VA but I did receive a citation from the code enforcement folks for an expired vehicle in my driveway. I had to either get it registered or make it disappear. If your inside the city limits then you will most likely face the same thing. If your in the country you can build a wall with them and no one can say ****.

3. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I would be worried, the government wants its money! My wife got 2 tickets in one day here in VA for an expired saftey inspection sticker. They stopped her twice in an hour, how the hell was she supposed to have time to get it inspected in that amount of time! Plus they want their property tax for that car if it is parked in VA. That's right folks who don't live in VA, we have to pay property tax on our cars EVERY year, it's about $300 for a $18,000 car and then goes up exponentially to like $1,400 for a $50,000 car. EVERY YEAR!

In Toledo, OH a few years back they passed a law saying you could not park a car on any unpaved surface. The city then went around to neighborhoods with gravel driveways and towed their cars off their private property.

That's government for you, always here to help!

4. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Thanks guys. I have been looking on google and see items on both sides of the fence. Damn the system.

5. Old Aviator

Old Aviator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. 72SS

72SS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, I lived in Va Beach for 12 years. I restore old classics. The worse problem you could have is if you have a Home owners assc. Either way, buy a car cover for it. Then no one will ever know it doesnt have plates on it. But do make sure you turn the plates into the DMV if you drop insurance on the vehicle.

7. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Thanks bud.

8. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1

Wait, let me guess... Those places are ruled (governed?) by Democrats! Right?

9. mayo

mayo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    don't just check the state law, check your city or county ordinance
    an unregistered vehicle might fall under a local blight ordinance

10. ADA

ADA XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Well, the governor of Virginia is a Republican and although the current Ohio governor is a Dem the three previous ones were Republicans. So I would say wrong.

11. Unkn0wN

Unkn0wN XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That doesn't sound right. They don't usually ticket you for the same thing that quick. I could maybe see if they were a week apart, but not in the same hour. I call BS.

12. nasty79z28

nasty79z28 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All depends on what part of the state I guess. Where I am now its not an issue to my knowledge. Now where I grew up it is rare to find someone that doesn't have an unregistered vehicle in their driveway. :p

13. Reverenddel

Reverenddel XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No, no, I can vouch for Va. When they give you a ticket for an expired sticker, you're required to get it to a mechanic, or cease driving it. They WILL ticket you as many times in a day as they see you.

As to the vehicle? Remove the plates, remove the inspection sticker, and if asked, you're in the process of restoring it. Va Vehicle codes cover that... Also, if you want to REALLY be safe? Put a car cover over it.

You can find them discounted online, or free at Freecycle, or Craigslist.

Hate the vehicle laws of this state, and it's anti-radar detector stance! Only VA, and D.C.! WTF?!!?!?

14. CG0011

CG0011 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was given a citation of some sort one time for having a car with expired plates on my property. I came home one day and it was in my screen door. I only had a front plate on it at the time, so I guess since VA law says you have to have both plates, he saw that I didn't have a back plate, walked up the driveway to see if I had a front plate and gave me a warning on that one being expired.

I have a County police officer that lives across the street from me and I asked him what the deal was. He said the car has to be tagged if it is visible from the road. He suggested I put a cover on it.

15. wesw

wesw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can't afford to re-register, just by a cheep @$$ cloth cover for your car and cover it. If cops can't see the expired tabs or license plate they can't give you a ticket.