U.S. LawShield vs. USCCA Self-Defense Shield

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by witttiger93, Mar 22, 2013.

1. witttiger93

witttiger93 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can any of you guys and gals offer feedback on these programs? Both are pretty affordable, but is there real value in them?

Having looked over these programs, I see some differences such as USLS giving members 24/7 access to a hotline with "Plan Attorneys" whereas USCCA SDS has members search for and contact their own choice from a list of participating attorneys.

Also, USCCA SDS has three tiers of service with differing levels of civil and criminal liability protection, which I have to admit I don't fully understand...are those dollar amounts referring to attorney fees or to damages in the event a civil suit is lost???

And if I am understanding correctly, it sounds like USLS simply provides its legal services to members, whereas USCCA SDS only reimburses the attorney fees afterwards.

In the event of the worst-case scenario, I seriously doubt I could afford to retain an attorney up front. But I also question just what kind of lawyer I would get on a hotline at 3 a.m.

Thanks for any help in better understanding these.

2. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have looked at both of these programs in detail. And, from my assumption, the US Law Shield is the better bang for your buck.

3. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to know if anyone has ever filed a claim or successfully used either service.

4. 15shot

15shot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What are the chances that you really are ever going to need a lawyer for a gun related issue? IMO you are throwing your money away on yearly premiums that odds are you will never need. Wait and spend it on an attorney when he is actually needed. Just sayin.......

5. g40

g40 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chances that I will use my gun for protecting myself is slim so why have it either? Same thing with why I have Texas Law Shield. If I need it then I have it. Something happens then all I do is call a number right then to have an atty. at my side. That is better than trying to find an atty. that will even defend me. Something happens and I don't have to pay minimum 0f 25 grand to possible over 100 grand which I don't have. I pay less for one year piece of mind than I could possibly buy even one gun for.
    The guy in Houston that killed and was found not guilty lost his life savings and house to keep from going to jail. Yeah I will pay $130 a year for something that might never happen just like I will carry a gun for some need that may never happen.
    I also choose TLS over USCCA because of what each covers or doesn't cover.
    I also paid $1200 for a safe just in case something might happen but may never happen.

6. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Have you talked to Ibwaldo?

7. 15shot

15shot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If TLS and a $1200 safe gives you peace of mind then by all means you're doing the right thing! I own a $100 safe and don't have TLS and also have peace of mind...looks like win, win for the both of us.

8. XD40inTX

XD40inTX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I told this story in another thread recently, but let me repeat it here. About a year ago a good friend of mine had to shoot and kill two pit bulls that were attacking him and his wife. Because he had discharged his weapon within 1,000 feet of a residence he was in violation of the TX Criminal Code. He called TLS then 911.

The lawyer arrived before the sheriff's deputy. When the deputy arrived his first inclination was to arrest my friend and let the judge sort everything out in a day or so. The lawyer talked to the deputy for a few minutes. Then the deputy returned my friend's gun, sent him home, and wrote a citation to the owner of the dogs.

My wife and I have been members of TLS since we got our CHLs.

9. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0

I wonder if AZ has anything like that.

10. dfettero

dfettero XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most homeowners policies carry liability coverage of $100k-$300k.

11. tacwash

tacwash XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a USCCA Silver Plus member. Here is a letter I sent to a local lawyer.

Dear Mr. xxxx,

I am a retired grandfather of four. As a responsibly armed citizen, I am contacting you on the advice of Tim Schmit of USCCA. I am a Silver Plus member. It is not my plan ever to need your services but Tim suggested that it would be good to have the number of a good criminal law attorney in the unlikely event that I may one day have to use my weapon in self-defense.

1. Do you have a concealed carry permit?
    2. How do you feel about defending a citizen that had to fire in self-defense?
    3. Do you believe the 2nd Amendment protects our God given right to bear arms?
    4. May I file your phone number in my cell phone in case I need your help?

My wife has a WA State permit and mine is a Utah permit (reciprocal in WA). We are both Lifetime members of the Front Sight Firearms Training Center in Pahrump, Nevada. We go to the range locally about once a month. It would be a pleasure to see you at the range some day.

Yours truly,

I HATE insurance. But I have home owners, Car, health, and had life insurance when working (before I retired) etc. I hate it because the only time it is worth it is when something bad happens and who wants that? Anyway, yes, USCCA Shield made sense to me in case I need a lawyer some day to defend me for firing in self-defense.....

12. AmmoSGT

AmmoSGT XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Crap like that is why I am a TLS member :cool:

13. XD40inTX

XD40inTX XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The figures I'm about to quote are for TX, okay? But I would guess they're pretty typical for other states. In fact, things in most states are more expensive.

As of Jan 2013 the average legal cost just to get to a Grand Jury hearing in TX is $27,000. If the Grand Jury indicts, there is no upper limit but the cost can easily go over $100,000. Ask Joe Horn, the guy who killed two illegal aliens who were robbing his neighbor. His legal fees were more than $400,000. It bankrupted him.

By comparison, the cost of Texas Law Shield for me and my wife, both of us with CHLs, is $240 a year. At that rate, just getting to a Grand Jury hearing would cost the equivalent of 112.5 years in premiums.

I haven't had an automobile accident since 1957, but I still think auto insurance is a good idea. It comes under the heading of, "It's better to have it and not need it thatn to need it and not have it." I feel the same way about TLS.

14. elliotriley

elliotriley XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another option is the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network... check it out.

15. XDAHT

XDAHT XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also like the fact that if I never need to use it, the money is going to help others who DO need it for that situation. Much like auto insurance, its an issue of a larger pool of people protecting themselves from something expensive that may likely not occur (or at most occur at an infrequent rate)**

I went with USCCA since it also covers bail-bonds, and expert witness fees (and since I am going to subscribe to the magazine anyway, its like a $47 discount since membership includes the magazine).

ACLDN seems like a good option too, but I got turned off from their Facebook group page (very little conversation is actually allowed, and suffered from over-zealous-moderator syndrome. I just couldn't shake the feeling of what it would feel like having to use these guys when I really needed help)

**full disclosure: I do not get the same satisfaction knowing my auto insurance premiums are used for other peoples accidents :cool: