True SHTF Stories

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by Diesel75, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Diesel75

Diesel75 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HURRICANE KATRINA

If you have any stories, or links maybe we can get a list going.

2. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    subscribed

3. Chapie+

Chapie+ XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Perhaps we could expand this to include a variety of SHTF stories big and small - like your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you are on your own and such or you're hunting and you get completely turned around (lost) and you have to survive, etc.

Chapie+

4. 84jeep

84jeep XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the link Diesel75.
    being in south Louisiana, preparing for shtf is an every summer event.

5. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    +1 on the small scale SHTF stuff. I was about to have to hump almost 10 miles in 20 degree weather the other day due to traffic snarls and stopped traffice after the snow and ice hit north central texas hard.

Had it not been for me having my go bag with me inthe car I wouldn't have even thought about it becuase it was too cold. I have extra cold weather gear in my go bag during the winter specifically incase I get caught out in it.

6. mtcraigco

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    diesel, thanks for the blog link

I just read a lil of it, I'm gonna have to read it all when I get the time.

And yeah, lots of folks never even think "medium" SHTF
    it's an apocolypse or nothin mentality

We had an ice storm here a couple, years ago that left maybe 75% of the folks within 50 miles outta power for 5-10 days, that was interesting.

More folks banded together and helped each other than you would think. Most everybody either gothelpl or was helping in some fashion or another.

Kinda woke me up though, I still got more to do though.

7. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    When I was growing up on a hog farm, I once pitched some manure through one of ventilation fans in the barn...what a mess.

Is that what you're looking for?

8. NBollinger

NBollinger XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure if this is what you have in mind, but here are some lessons I learned and observations I made during Ike last year. I live in North East Houston and work downtown in the city.

1. Our power was out for 13 days. I bought a generator in El Campo, TX on the second day after the storm (5500) for close to $900.00. Lesson: You can't go 13 days with a wife and children in Houston with no fans and no way to keep juice and basic food cold or have ice. Generators are a bonus, but need to be bought in advance.

2. Food goes bad rather quickly, even if you keep fridge doors closed. Hence the need for a generator.

3. Generators need gas. Gas prices go up in storms and long lines form. Buy and store (need a rotation plan) at least 10-15 gallsons for a generator in advance of storms.

4. Looking for gas stations that have gas and stores that have fresh food becomes a daily battle drill. I had to go 'search' for these items after work (generally to the west of Houston) every other day or so. Again, you can get by on canned items, but it does get a little old when you have a propane stove and a pretty good electrical source....but no fresh food to cook.

5. Chain saws are handy.

6. People congregate in neighborhoods after storms. Days 1-5, people were pretty friendly. Days 6-10, things were getting tense (the haves vs. the have nots). After day 10....who knows? I suspect this is when theft and violence begins.

Just my thoughts...hope it helps.

9. Diesel75

Diesel75 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Np for posting the link. I think any SHTF story small or big we can all learn from.

10. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
  11. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Ice storms, hurricanes, tornado's, earth quakes all are serious, no doubt about that. But ---> none are more than an inconvenience when looked at in a larger view. "rescue" is going to happen. There is "somebody" working to fix it and "make it all better". Because of that, people are in hippie commune mode and singing kumbaya, etc. As NBollinger stated, people are pretty good about caring and sharing for the first 10 days or so. After that, the guy with the 100 gal of diesel powering his generator that runs the fridge full of food & beer quickly becomes a target. The rest of the folks start to think that he should be "sharing" with them. Even if they have to persuade with rocks, sticks and fists.

Why is that? Because at that time point, the mind starts to whisper that help ISN'T on the way. Rescue may not happen. Little voices start to whisper that my family comes first - piss on the rest! When that happens, the strong start to exert the principle of Might Makes Right and take from the weak. It happens every time when there is no probable rescue expected.

The only way to survive past day 45 is by not being found by the "have not's" between day 1 and day 44!

12. mtcraigco

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    I would not disagree with that at all.

I just have a hard time getting my head around a total TEOWATAKI scenario, if it really was as bad as 'The Road", man how do you prepare for that level of bad.

13. 72SS

72SS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live in P-cola FL. I might recommend 20-30 Gal stored. And we picked up a small little apartment size fridge that is in garage just in case. It uses less wattage then a full size which will be alot easier on your Genny. Its more then big enough to move most of the things from your big fridge unless u have a super packed fridge. Also a Small portable A/C is very nice. And have some box fans laying around.
    We have a 4 year old and they get bored QUICK with no power so something that made it easier was 2 portable DVD players that normally go into the car. Require very little power battery runs thru movie or two. and can be recharged in the car. We arnt in the flood plain where my house sits but I also keep fuel in the jet-ski just in case.
    Also something Ive learned. Cheaper metal garage doors dont do well with high winds. We now back the Jeep right up to it to help reduce the wind on it. Just a couple of thoughts I hope they help.

14. firexd

firexd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i live in south Tx and went through Huricane dolly, she was no Katrina or Ike but i have no power for 8 days, my neighborhood was flodded in after about 3 days there were robberies and looting, the police could not get in and since the neighborhood in outside city limits the city cops weren't doing squat, only the city Fire Dept, was out there helping, but after about 5 days everyone hated everyone nothing was open supplies were limited it was getting a little stressfull at this point, started running out of propane and food, i.e- coffee !!!!, there was a shooting about 4 or 5 blocks down from me the the police never showed up i just herd the sevral shots ect..probally just warning shots but none the less shots fired.. i remeber it was hott and misrable you had to drink about 12 beers just to sleep i hated every second of it.

15. Alpha

Alpha XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good thread. Lot of good information here. Thanks for sharing guys.

Seems to me that a lot of people like to prepare for zombie attacks or the EOTWAWKI. But I'm much more interested in dealing with the next hurricane/earthquake/wildfire/mudslide/flood/etc than a zombie war. So the lessons listed above are particulalry interesting to me.

I stumbled on the above link about a year ago and it was my first true introduction into preparing for SHTF. The guy went through a lot, and has been kind enough to share his lessons.

His wesbite educated me to the fact that there is a lot more to SHTF preparedness than having some guns, ammo, food and water stashed. I found the above link is a wonderful resource.

I'll be interested to see what other's have learned from their own personal SHTF situations.

Good luck. :D