Springfield XD Forum banner

Trijicon life expectancy & replacement

13K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ajamesp51 
#1 ·
Bought a used Beretta Cougar with Trijicons. Noticed the rear sight has "H3 97" on the side which I took to mean that the tritium (H3) in the sight was from 1997. Half-life of tritium is about 12 years.

Sights are noticeably less bright than some I had put on my XD-40 last year.

Can the tritium inserts be replaced or do you have to get the whole front/rear sights replaced completely?

#2 ·
Probably be better off just replacing the sights - I can't imagine the tritium replacements are cheap. I was told I'll probably need to replace night sights every 10 years.

#4 ·
yea i would just replace the whole sights. even if you could replace the vials (which i doubt) they are very fragile so it would be pretty hard to do without breaking.
and im pretty sure you cant buy replacements but the factory might be able to refurbish the old sights and that might save you some money

#10 ·
The Trijicon sights are covered under warranty for twelve years. You have to send your sights to Trijicon "properly packaged" and they will replace them, but not just because they have dimmed. Some people have problems with the tritium inserts actually falling out. So, if you can get them to fall out somehow, you can get it done for free. But, if you're a little more ethical, you should probably just pony up the $100 or so to replace them at a shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.