Trigger Jobs: Canyon Creek, Springer Precision, Springfield Armory, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by UCPOPO, Nov 24, 2006.

1. UCPOPO

UCPOPO XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just received a Canyon Creek trigger job on one of my 45XD's and I am pretty happy with it. Does anyone have trigger jobs from the other guys (Springer Precision and Springfield Armory) and if so what are your thoughts and comparisons? I do like the Canyon Creek very well but am not sure if I like the point where the trigger breaks as the trigger breaks now right in the middle where the original trigger was and comes no where close to touching the inside rear of the trigger framing. It has very little trigger movement at all. I do love the lack of take up and the reset very much. I might consider also having the trigger face smoothed out like my sigs as its a little ruff on the old finger. I am considering having another trigger job done and might go with Springer Precision for the next one just for something different. How are the other guys trigger jobs? Any thoughts?

2. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You get better trigger control if the trigger breaks out away from the frame. The SA trigger I tried was the same way. Once you get used to it you'll love it. Believe me.

3. ksxdguy

ksxdguy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have experience with all three:
    SA Custom shop:
    1. 3.5 competition, sweet, uses same set screw trigger concept as Canyon Creek, no take-up with snappy reset.
    2. Combat/Carry trigger, very smooth, much lighter than stock, most of the take-up is still there which is preferred on a carry gun, IMO
    Canyon Creek:
    I have the 4 pound trigger on two guns, they have most of the take-up removed and feel lighter than 4 pounds.
    Springer:
    I asked for a heaver trigger for carry on my .45ACP 4". It has some of the take-up removed but not all, and has an improved reset, he does not use a set screw. This is the trigger I prefer over the others I've had done for carry purposes.

Now just let me say that I think Rich at Canyon Creek does an awesome job, and I'm very happy with the guns he did. However, I did hear of a gun that had a Canyon Creek type trigger job that failed because the set screw broke and tied up the gun. I suspect that it was a SA Custom Shop gun because the owner of the gun is a well known competition shooter who probably had several thousand rounds through it. Therefore, my choice is to use either the SA combat trigger or the Springer trigger for carry (neither use a set screw), and any of the others for competition. I have no doubt that guns from Canyon Creek have and will give a life time of service with no problems. The above comments are just my conclusions.

4. aiformula

aiformula XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I own both a Springfield carry, and a Canyon Creek competition trigger and recently had the opportunity to shoot one that had been to Springer.

By FAR, the worst work was done by SA. IMHO, the CC trigger job was slightly better. It felt like it broke cleaner and the pretravel felt shorter than the springer job. You won't go wrong with either of these two as the differences are almost imperceptible.

5. bama

bama XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Two 9mm (one SC, one Service) with trigger jobs by Springer. Nothing but happiness with them! Scott does excellent work, with rapid turnarounds, and is a genuinely nice guy to deal with.

6. Old School

Old School Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Which was it? Canyon Creek or the Custom Shop? The above is confusing. I have never heard of this happening, not sure how it could happen.

I am willing to bet that Rich has done more XD triggers than all the rest. Perhaps the Custom Shop is close, not sure. I have seen what Rich has in his shop in a given week and it is madness. If Rich did not work 12 hour days doing XD work, he would be able to shoot once in awhile and his back would be better for it.

OS

7. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rich definately has been doing XD triggers the longest. I'd like to see him become a forum sponsor.

8. Paul

Paul XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm curious what the purpose of the set screw is? I assume it is to keep the "action in place"? I wonder if they use Lock-tite on it or something. I don't see how someone could break it?

9. ksxdguy

ksxdguy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Old School: I'm sorry to be so confusing. Here's how the story of the breakage was told to me. I heard directly from a well known gunsmith who was working on an XD for me that he (the gunsmith) was shooting with the competion shooter when the set screw broke, tying up the gun. I am sure the trigger job was done by SA; I only equate it with Canyon Creek because on my guns done by each, the technique appears to be the same. I fully acknowledge that I'm not privy to any differences there might be which would make one or the other more durable. As I said Rich does an awesome job, it's just that I prefer something without the set screw for carry.
    Oh, and any time I hear someone say they "heard" of something on a message board I take it with a grain of salt. I'm glad you do too!

10. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A set screw is used to limit trigger travel. It is a common way to eliminate overtravel, and can also be used to reduce takeup.

11. farmer

farmer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own a CC-triggered XD 9 and have shot many rounds through a springer precision XD 9. Hands down the better trigger is the Canyon-creek. Less pre-travel, shorter reset and smoother pull. However, the springer precision is still miles better than stock. Both have superb customer service. If you live on the west coast the springer is cheaper because of shipping and may be worth choosing over the CC trigger.