Trigger job questions.

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by photogbill, Mar 1, 2009.

1. photogbill

photogbill XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    I'd like to eventually get a trigger job on my XDM 9 and I'm looking for some advise.

I can't remember the exact specs for the 'stock' trigger pull but I seem to remember reading it being between 5 1/2 - 7 lbs.?

I don't want to end up with a handgun with a 'hair' trigger but I would like to have a shorter travel path than the stock trigger has, for one thing. Any guidelines for what to ask for as to the shorter 'travel' distance would be helpful. What strength pull would some of you recommend having mine reduced to.

Lastly, I will want to take/send my XDM somewhere to have the trigger job done. Who are some of the more highly recommended shops to have this done for a reasonable price ...and what total cost (including shipping and insurance, etc.) should I expect to have to pay!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. BwC605

BwC605 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I am also going to get some work done. My thought was to eliminate the take up, or slack, before the actual trigger engages and starts its course of action. I understand not all of it can be taken out because of the safety but it can be reduced. I like the weight of the trigger pull personally but after shooting a Glock 27 and full size for so many years this thing feels like a feather! For a DAO I like a little tension, makes it feel a little more secure when I have a round chambered. Where are you at location wise? I have a local gunsmith here who is awesome, did some work for some LE friends of mine and is currently overhauling the trigger on my Kel-Tec PF9. I have a feeling we are not neighbors though!

3. landheerj

landheerj XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use the Powder River Precision trigger kit. I did the job myself because it is pretty much a drop in kit w/ some minor fitting. The cost was just under $90 shipped. You can send your pistol to them and have them do the work but you will have to ship it overnight which I believe is around $50 each way plus the cost of the kit which ranges from about $90 to $130.

PRP website: POWDERRIVERPRECISION.COM

4. bullit

bullit XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    lots of people use Powder River Precision or Springer Precision for their trigger jobs. you can install the PRP yourself. If you have to ship it, of course it depends on where you are, but it was going to cost me $150 for round trip and $150 for the trigger job. both of these guys are forum sponsers, so you find them in the forum area. no matter which one does it, everybody has loved their work. PRP keeps one of the safties intact, which is, you dont have to dry fire the weapon form break down purposes.

5. gpo1956

gpo1956 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a very experienced handgun person (40 years). The last 15 have been almost exclusively with semi-custom and full custom 1911s. Due to fear of the current aministration's gun views, I wanted to make sure that I had at least one high capacity gun in the safe, so I bought an XDm40. I thought the trigger wqs better than the Glock, but still pretty bad, so I first added the Powder River (I believe) over-travel stop. After doing that and shooting a couple of hundred rounds through it, I am amazed and a little concerned at the feel and weight of the trigger. It is very very good for this type of pistol. However, it is probably too light for serious concealed carry for the average shooter. I would probably leave the gun alone and, if anything, add the ot stop and see what that does. If you start altering the initial take-up and springs, you could be asking for trouble. You start screwing around with this type trigger design and get it down to around 4 pounds and you're basically cocking an S&W DA revolver and holstering and re-holstering it. I'm sorry, but I've been shooting a long time and I've been to a ton of public ranges. The thought of a lot of the people I've seen doing this scares the bejeezus out of me. Regardless of what these forums will tell you, a LOT of people out there are simply not experienced enough or disciplined enough to be PLAYING with guns of this design. If you are, then obviously this does not apply to you, so please, no flames from the "operators" out there. JMTCW.

6. SSMOD

SSMOD XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am a newbie but appreciate your perspective. I would like to get a Stainless Steel trigger upgrade, but now second guessing the travel & pull weight change. Thanks for the candor.

SSMOD

7. landheerj

landheerj XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    With the PRP kit I decieded to not install the trigger and sear springs so that the trigger pull weight would be left at factory settings. I you want you could just install the overtravel stop and saftey lever to remove the pretravel. Just my 2 cents.

8. Old Stumps

Old Stumps XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    With my PRP kit I got but hadn't planned to change the springs. When I removed the sear to put in the safety lever it became a no-brainer to at least try them. Same with the trigger spring. That was too easy to change. My point is if you get in there once, it's really easy to get in there again. Try the springs (small part of cost) and put the originals in if your carry or use dictates you want more effort to pull the trigger. After installing the PRP I do not believe this is anything near a hair trigger. And when you get back out make sure you check function of safeties.

Comfort with what you're doing is paramount to doing the drop in kit. Unfamiliarity with the disassembly process is not the same thing. Taking the gun apart does help familiarize yourself with how things interact and helps with the former. I'll be watching things very closely next time at the range, but at this point I'm very pleased that I could make some minor changes and improve the feel of this XDm.

9. Loves2Shoot

Loves2Shoot Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Our trigger bar can be fit to be used with the stock parts.

We can do the trigger job with or without the auto take down feature. My preference is to pull it out and make it operate like a XD, as I do not like the extra parts that do not improve performance, but can do the task either way.

We have a 20% discount for shipping (see our website) for those that use the prepaid label we provide.

10. gpo1956

gpo1956 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't mean to go overboard and I apologize if I did. I just want to stress that these guns (or mine at least) have very good triggers to start with. I was and still am amazed at how much difference just removing the over-travel made. I've tried every Glock they've ever come out with and I honestly don't think they are in the same league as the new XDms.

11. photogbill

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    First ...thanks for all the helpful input.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "removing the over-travel". Is that a less drastic change to the trigger system than a complete trigger job?

Does it make the trigger so that the trigger is at the 'reset' position to start with?

I never had planned on messing with the trigger myself anyway ...but now I'm beginning to think I shouldn't do anything to the stock trigger. I guess I need to give this a little more time and thought.

12. BwC605

BwC605 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have to agree. I still have and will always have a couple of Glocks. However,
    some thought has been put into this set up. I agree with leaving the tension
    the same until a very high level of familiarity is achieved but that take-up is a
    bit much. I was unaware that the PRP kits would allow for just altering the OT
    without changing anything else. I am going to inquire to my local smith here
    about just working on that and see if there is a significant price difference.
    I will post my findings and maybe it will be of some use to someone.

13. Old Stumps

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Putting in the PRP safety lever (the most expensive part) doesn't change timing of interaction between safeties and sear release. It does move the trigger forward (reduces pretravel) and that moves the triggerbar back. The OT reduction piece (the less expensive part) gets trimmed to put limit on OT where you want it. If you don't install the safety lever you might have to cut a lot off the OT stop to get it to work as planned.

14. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Take some advice from a retired cop, any gun you carry for self defense should NOT have the trigger changed!

In a self defense situation you won't even feel the trigger pull, you will not remember how many shots you fired and you may not even hear the report of the gun!

Having a great trigger,at the range, is fine, but with close up self defense it can be a liability.

When you practice with your carry gun, do mostly close range shooting, practice being fast and accurate enough at 10-20 feet to hit center of mass.

If you have to shoot from farther away then that you probably have other options.

don

15. Old Stumps

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Nature of liability? Legal? or Unintentional firing?

It seems to me that whatever you have trained for, habit is more important than the actual gun. Training with the gun you use is much more important so that its use is more second nature (as you describe).

Big difference in my DA Keltec, the SA XDm and my SA/DA Beretta. Likely to carry the Keltec one day(maybe) and use the others in the home. Each is different, but the Beretta is much finer to shoot from trigger pull, crispness, etc. So I think some liability for legal with mod, but more important in my opinion to shoot lots with whatever you wind up with.

16. pistobro206

pistobro206 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  17. Old Stumps

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yet I think each (well, not CCC maybe) has shown a slightly different perspective here and I would suggest you talk to them to see how they would approach what you perceive your problem to be against what they think needs to be done to the XD(m). Know exactly what you want to have done and try and get all pluses and minuses recognizing fully that one man's plus is another man's minus. If you haven't got a specific issue that you want them to deal with it would be pretty pointless to send something off to any of them.

18. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Less legal liability then unintentional firing, Most courts don't look kindly on perforated bystanders,mostly in civil court but there can be some criminal liability as well. Rember, adrenelin and fear raises havoc with fine motor control.

In a civil court the modification of the trigger system won't help your case.

don

19. dahenrymd

dahenrymd XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sent my XDm9 to the SA Custom Shop for Dawson adjustable fiberoptic sights and trigger mod. I am very pleased with the results. I was charged $165 for each job and $30 for shipping - total $330. It took about 3 wks.

20. photogbill

Ratings:
    +26 / 0

Thanks Don! Sounds like great advise!

I wasn't planning on using my XDM 9 for CCW ...mostly for range shooting and maybe home defense but I think I will leave the trigger alone for awhile and hope I get better used to it.

A friend of mine told me to try keeping my trigger finger pressed after the first round ...and then to slowly release it until I hear/feel it reset ...then just start from there for the next shot! I'll try that next time at the range.

I'll definitely be taking your advise about close & fast range shooting with my CCW ...maybe start trying practicing with out using the sights.

Thanks again, Don!