Trigger click during takeup

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by Exalted85, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    Exalted85

Exalted85 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm currently wanting to purchase an xdm 9mm full size, but I was told this:

"During shooting today, I noticed there is an extra click(some people may not even notice it) in the trigger, during the take-up portion of the trigger travel just before the wall. The function of the gun isn't affected, just an extra click."

I don't own any pistols yet, and I'm liking the xdm by the looks of it. Does this sound like an issue, or has anyone heard of this?

Am I crazy, or is that describing a 2 stage trigger pull? I don't know a lot of gun lingo, so I don't even know what take-up really means, haha.

2. Apr 21, 2017 #2
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +3,488 / 21
    Not a 2 stage. It's just the striker safety.

3. Apr 21, 2017 #3
    DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +4,277 / 44
    Yup. There's a little bump on the trigger bar that pushes a plunger up allowing the striker to travel forward. There's no way the pistol can go off unless the trigger is pulled.

Or you're an idiot and take the safety plunger out chasing .002 lbs less in pull weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Apr 22, 2017 #4
    SWPA

SWPA XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +149 / 0
    The quoted statement may have originally been posted by me a while back during the first range session after installing a Powder River drop-in trigger kit. If I recall correctly, I cleaned the gun after the range trip, took it back to the range and the extra (though very slight) click noise was gone. Still gone by the way and the trigger is still outstanding. Never learned what it was other than possibly a piece of debris that worked it's way out or got cleaned out.

5. Apr 23, 2017 at 12:23 AM #5
    powder river

powder river Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +54 / 0
    I have seen this caused by a small burr on the trigger bar hook.

The trigger bar is a stamped part and sometimes there is a bit of a burr or small radius in the bottom of the hook where it transitions from the the horizontal surface to the vertical surface of the hook. This causes the trigger bar to be pushed down slightly before the vertical surface of the hook engages the tab on the striker safety lever.