Springfield XD Forum banner

Traveling to an open carry state

4K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  titanicthunder 
#1 ·
im from Illinois, and we are going to South Dakota on vacation next month. They allow open carry there, but I can't find anything in regards to non residents. Will me and my husband be able to open carry even though we are not residents?

Thanks in advance!
Julie

#2 ·
Open Carry South Dakota has a Facebook page. If you've got a concealed permit they'll recognize it. I have read that they prohibit open carry while riding motorcycles however.

#5 ·
Preemption Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms

So it has nothing to do with residency the way I'm reading it... It's your physical location... So in South Dakota we would be allowed to open carry even though we are not residents.
Am I reading that right?

#10 ·
Btw I did get a reply, I can open carry in South Dakota... The question remains if I WILL carry while there... Obviously theft and other negatives are weighing on my mind, however I think it might be a good intro to carrying where once I can conceal carry in il I'll be more comfortable...

#16 ·
Thanks! Illinois sucks doesn't it? Lol thankfully we live far enough west that the culture is a bit more gun friendly due to hunting ect. But I still get funny looks when I mention shooting for fun at the range to friends... Apparently it's not a girl or mom thing to do

#14 ·
Open carry is a completely different animal than concealed carry. When you conceal carry you will have to adjust how you interact with people slightly. When you open carry you will have to adjust how you interact with people quite drastically. You have an exposed firearm on your hip and we have seen over and over again that people will take them from those who don't pay attention. Having a retention holster is an absolute must for open carry. I've been carrying for a few years and would still never attempt open carry. It's just completely different from concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
You have an exposed firearm on your hip and we have seen over and over again that people will take them from those who don't pay attention
Please refrain from making any claim for which there is no basis in fact.
Moreover: no statistics are out there lending a shred of credence to your claim.

#15 ·
Definitely retention holster... That's why I'm still iffy about it. I might try it for a little bit depending on what we are doing and how much we have going on. We are going camping and to help my brother in law move so definitely not while we are moving stuff cause I know I won't be paying enough attention to it and my surroundings... And I'm still iffy on taking it for security reasons... It would be locked up when not worn but let's face it we are not able to monitor it the whole time and I don't feel ok leaving it in the car... Idk I think I've done a pretty good job of talking myself out of it haha

#19 ·
I'd just forget OC and go concealed...my take, which is different than many, I bet, is open carry of a firearm simply makes you the first target in an armed confrontation. Got family with you? Now your uncovered firearm has indirectly endangered those folks, too. Remember, I'm talking about a bad guy who doesn't care who has what...in other words, a nut job. Some would say open carry deters BGs and I'd agree, if those BGs aren't strung out on drugs. Others will say you've got to exercise rights or we'll lose them. Again, I agree, but my choice is almost always to conceal. Things are just easier that way.

XDXFOUR

#22 ·
Oops, sorry, I should read more and post less!

Regardless, you can always go concealed...it's just a matter of legality. In the Dakotas, I doubt anyone would say a thing if she was made and they'd just assume she has a permit. Still, open carry if there's no other choice, but if you don't feel comfortable doing so, then consider alternatives, even if that means going without a firearm.

XDXFOUR

#27 ·
I will admit that's one of the reasons I didn't join right away :/ it's weird explaining how much safer I feel at home to other people... Not in the blanket of security that nothing is ever going to happen sense but in the sense that I can protect me and my son when my husband isn't home if something happens which is frequently cause he is a firefighter. Even with three giant dogs I sleep better at night now

#37 ·
Personally I think for myself I would be a lot more aware open carrying vs concealed. That's part of the reason I wanted to try while I was out there... Especially where there are a lot of people that open carry. So it would be in an accepted location I don't have to worry about being confronted by anti 2a people ect. As long as people are aware and paying attention I don't think it's necessarily more dangerous to open carry. theft is a possibility everywhere I can't say I've seen statistics about gun theft off the hip though and I don't think it's THAT common. If it was no one would open carry right ?

#38 ·
Personally I think for myself I would be a lot more aware open carrying vs concealed.
As we (hopefully) all are and should be.

[/QUOTE]That's part of the reason I wanted to try while I was out there... Especially where there are a lot of people that open carry. [/QUOTE]

Not many locations where "a lot of people open carry" but it it should not be a determining factor in your decision, do what feels comfortable.

[/QUOTE]So it would be in an accepted location I don't have to worry about being confronted by anti 2a people ect. As long as people are aware and paying attention I don't think it's necessarily more dangerous to open carry. theft is a possibility everywhere I can't say I've seen statistics about gun theft off the hip though and I don't think it's THAT common. If it was no one would open carry right ?[/QUOTE]

Correct: if open carriers got their firearms "snatched" left and right we sure would hear about it and the antis would have a field day with it every day of the week.
Being "confronted" about it by anti 2A folks can happen anywhere but, [personal experiences here] mostly one tends to get compliments and support from people in general.

An armed society is a polite society, you will find more people holding doors for you and addressing you with:" yes Ma'am / no Ma'am".

Enjoy!

Reactions: emtmommy925
#45 ·
My advice here, like everybody else's on this subject, is worth exactly what one pays for it...nothing! The OP can chose to take it or ignore it. If she really wants a professional opinion, then a gun enthusiast's forum is probably not the place to find one.

XDXFOUR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.