Trading an LCP for XD Sub-Compact

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by snowninja, Feb 24, 2009.

1. snowninja

snowninja XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am thinking of trading my new Ruger LCP .380 for an XD .40 sub (found one locally for $519). Other than having 2 small pistols is there any reason I should not do this? I have never traded a gun before so will I take a bath on a trade? Should I look to sell privately first? My LCP is post recall (S/N: 371x) and has less than 100 rounds through it, I also have 2 factory mags with the pearce finger extensions. I have about $375 invested in it..

2. TellyDSP

TellyDSP XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Do you own another .380? Or was the second "small" gun the XDsc? If the XD is your second small gun, I would consider keeping the LCP. I currently have an XD9sc, and it's too big for some carry situation IMO. I'm actually in the market for a LCP or P3AT. I find the need for a true pocket gun at times, which the XD brick is not. If you had to choose between the two, I'd take the XDsc, but if you can afford to keep the LCP, I'd do that. In a perfect work, I'd be shopping 9mm Rohrbaughs instead of an LCP, but it's far from perfect.

My .02.

3. snowninja

snowninja XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the xdsc would be my second "small" gun. i compare the size to my xd45c which is way too big for me comfortably carry truely concealed. i do like the fact i can just put the lcp in my front pocket sleeve with minimal printing and go on my way.. i think i would need a front waist holster for the xdsc so that would be a tradeoff. i would like to keep the lcp and add the xdsc but not sure i can really justify another purchase (i've kinda been going crazy with gun purchases lately)..

4. Derekhie

Derekhie XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I carry my .40sc everyday and consider that my big gun but I also carry my Micro Desert Eagle .380 as a bug.

5. Armed2TheTeeth

Armed2TheTeeth XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How is the Micro Deagle? I've been curious since I first saw the photo. Reliable? Does it get decent velocities out of that stubby little barrel?

6. kmc757

kmc757 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should be able to sell your Ruger LCP for about what you have in it. Pocket .380 are hard to come by right now. I just sold one of two Kel Tec P3AT .380's I have. It was two months old and I lost only 20 dollars on it from what I paid.

Trying sellling on a Ruger forum, any local gun forum, or on Gun Broker.com. Read the rules on Gun Broker about selling to someone in another state. Easy to do, but you must ship it to a FFL that your buyer picks the gun up from. Major legal problem if you do not follow this rule.

By the way, I sold my Kel Tec because I replaced it with a XD40 Sub Compact. This is a great gun and super for CCW.

Good luck!

7. MotoLex

MotoLex XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Keep the LCP, it's a great little BUG and you'll probably regret selling it when you find yourself in need of something pocketable.

8. BoltsFan

BoltsFan XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Agreed. You will always need a pocket gun.

9. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0

+1.
    Love my LCP..
    Nothing is better for a quick run to the store.

10. Chris 141

Chris 141 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have both and i carry the LCP more than my XD40sc.

11. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Whenever possible sell it privately and use the proceeds to fund your future aquisition.

You never get as much on a trade-in value at a gunshop as you will in a private sale.

I was at a gunshop (last weekend no-less) and watched a guy trade in a Kimber 1911 in .22 LR and another gun and the gunshop told them they COULD only give him $500 for them both.

He could've gotten $500 just for that Kimber.

Always sell privately.

I wanted to say, "Excuse me I'll give you $550 for both of those guns."

12. Derekhie

Derekhie XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

It's been very good and extremely accurate for such a little gun. It had the usual break in stuff and the initial trigger pull was bad but that has all worked itself out. It is now a very sweet shooting gun.

13. RCP4SXS

RCP4SXS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I just went throught the same process with my XD9sc. The gun shop was only going to give me $250 toward a trade in so I decided to keep thelittle bugger. The next day, I needed to run out to the store and wasn't wearing anything that would do great concealing my XD and the LCP was perfect. Keep it an dget the XD...you won't regret it, but you will regret it as soon as you need a smaller carry.

14. snowninja

snowninja XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i held the xd40sc today and it wasn't as small as i thought it would be so i think i'm just going to keep my LCP (as many of you have recommened) and just get the xd later on. 4 new guns in about 7 weeks i have to slow down.. luckily my wife has not said one negative thing about any of them except the AR15 i brought home last week. she said it was embarassing and that i shouldn't shoot it where anyone can see me. haha..

thanks for the replies, i had a feeling i'd regret letting the LCP go and decided to just start carrying it more often, carried it all day today and even forgot it was there.. it is a nice little package.. i do need to get some SD ammo for it though..

15. BanditSRT8

BanditSRT8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Keep the LCP, you're weighing two completely different options. It's like asking if you should trade in the minivan for a Ferrari... they are suited for completely different purposes.

No matter how easily concealable my XD9SC is, it can still not fit in my back pocket when I'm dressed "lightly" and want something that totally disappears. I LOVE my LCP because it is just so small and easy to carry.