total newbie to ARs, need your help

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by basheesh, Jan 23, 2012.

1. basheesh

basheesh XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    attempting my first build:confused:

already bought:
    spikes forged lower
    spikes enhanced lower kit
    spikes buffer assembly
    magpul str stock

now im working on the upper and i didnt know if i should:
    1. go forged [$115] or billet [$225] for the upper receiver
    2. go forged [$23] or billet [$33] charging handle
    3. go standard phosphate [$110] or NiB [$220] bcg
    4. go chrome lined barrel [$189] or lothar walther stainless barrel w/ mid length gas [$330]
    **and is the gas piston really worth the extra $$$

i'm on a tight leash when it comes to the money but i also don't mind spending a little extra on the things that might benefit me later down the line. i don't plan on selling any of my guns so i want to make sure that they don't belly up on me a few years down the line.

so please, all your wisdom, experience, and input would be much appreciated. thanks again!:mrgreen:

2. Jayock

Jayock XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Forged - stronger and standard
    2. Whatever you want. Not much difference. BCM gunfighter is nice, but easily changed later.
    3. NiB is awesome. Your choice though. If you clean and lube properly there isn't a lot of difference. NiB cleans a bit easier and needs less lube. Consider though that you can replace the whole thing again if ever needed for the price of NiB. Also easily changeable later.
    4. Chrome lined will last longer. The Lothar Walther will be more accurate. Do you want a run and gun carbine with tons of rounds, or an in place longer range AR. Both have their place in my rotation.

If you want a piston AR, buy one off the shelf, don't build one. The conversion kits have their own set of issues. Unless you loathe cleaning, my opinion is to DI. Piston is an afterthought on the AR, and IMO is a solution looking for a problem.

3. basheesh

basheesh XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the awesome feedback!
    i think im leaning towards NiB for the bcg just because i hear that the action is smoother and usually last longer than its phosphate predecessor.

4. Ron89

Ron89 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IMO
    1.Forged
    2.Billet
    3.Standard
    4.Chrome Lined

5. basheesh

basheesh XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks ron, exactly what i was thinking.

any thoughts on the gas piston or di?

6. misfit-x

misfit-x XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Direct Impingement. You are not going to be shooting full atuo or thousands of rounds a week. Have at least a H3 buffer, an extra power buffer spring, and run it wet and you'll have no problems. Just make sure your upper has M4 feed ramps.

7. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just purchase a NiB BCG from Spike's....I have done quite a bit of reading on the Nickel-Boron coating and the military is actually looking at this coating from what I have read. Supposedly the NiB coating is harder than the steel it is coated on and disipates heat much faster and has self lubricating properties...OH and cleans up much easier...

Here is one of the articles I read on NiB coating:

[​IMG]

8. Uriel999

Uriel999 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I just finished a build with the spikes enhanced lpk and nickel boron bcg. Love it

9. spearfisher

spearfisher XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While Billet is stronger it is not all that necessary. I have several AR's and none are billet.
    I have both types of BCG and they both run good but the NiB shows less wear on it after heavy abuse.
    As for te gas piston. It is a somewhat cleaner running system. It will also keep the BCG from getting hot even on a full auto. But I have an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and we all know that that can be some of the dirtiest ammo out there. 4000+ rounds and no issues yet.
    Welcome to the AR world and have fun with it.

10. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Actually in most cases, forged uppers and lowers are stronger than billet...there are some billet receivers that are just as strong as forged but you will pay $$$ for it. Billet, however, tends to have much better contoured lines or a more exotic profile... but you really can't go wrong with either; as long as your upper and lower receiver come together nicely and you don't have any slop between the two.... :cool:

11. Oneeek020

Oneeek020 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got the spikes NiBoron BCG and enhanced LPK in my Noveske and I LOVE them.

I went to the range with some of my family last weekend ( five of us ) and I had them buy there own ammo ( wolf & Tula ) .

We must have gone threw 500+ rounds, as we were packing up I pulled the BCG to wipe it and the upper with a rag before we left. I've never seen it that dirty before.

The rag was BLACK after I hit the BCG, but it was spotless after ten secants of rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

12. Ron89

Ron89 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea a forged receiver should be stronger, and in most cases, this is why a billet receiver is heavier - because it needs more material bulked up to be strengthened. Billet receivers are neat looking but IMO not worth the premium over forged. They can incorporate some cool ambidextrous stuff and be milled more precisely but I don't need it...do you?

Now the charge handle, I chose billet solely because of the great reviews on the BCM Gunfighter (I run a mod 4). Billet can be milled precisely and this is nice since standard charge handles tend to fit kind of crappy. Honestly, if the BCM gunfighter was forged, I would vote forged but since it's not, I won't. I think the nice thing about the Gunfighter is the bigger latch and the change in pin design to lesson the chance of breakage. Here is where IMO its ok to pay the small premium.

I have no problem with the NiB BCGs and would run one but my BCM BCG has taken abuse just fine, so I see no need to pay the NiB premium. Until the BCM BCG breaks or causes some unknown problem, which I doubt will happen any time soon, I'll switch. IMO the upgrade just isn't worth the premium. If you have the cash, go for it, but I wouldn't lose ANY sleep with a quality standard BCG.

I chose Chrome Lined because it will take more abuse (as I have heard) and last longer than an SS. SS barrels, as others have said, will have greater accuracy but if you just want a good old 16" battle rifle a chrome lined is the way to go IMO. SS=accuracy CL=high round count fun gun.

These are my opinions and I can safely say that I AM NOT an AR expert in the least bit but I have done a ton of research during my build and love what I have. Until my setup fails me I will stand behind it. Have fun and remember that the money you save on parts (that you may not need) will help the ammo and accessory fund. I've lol'd when people at the range will brag up and down about what leading edge parts are in their rig, but have no money left for any optics and look like dopes shooting iron sights at 100 yds with their super-duper-holier-than-thou- second coming of Jesus AR.